Whale Watch Kaikoura
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Amazing opportunity to see whales in the beautiful natural surroundings of Kaikoura.
Get up close and personal with giant Sperm Whales in their natural habitat on this unforgettable cruise. With a 95% success rate, a sighting of these incredible mammals is highly likely.
Our guide to Whale Watch Kaikoura
Due to a complex marine eco-system which supports a variety of wildlife including fur seals, dolphins, many species of whale, and the largest concentration of pelagic birds in New Zealand, Kaikoura is a utopia for animal enthusiasts.
Board your vessel - a modern catamaran designed especially for whale watching and boasting an enclosed cabin, conmfortable seating and large outside decks - and head out into the Pacific Ocean.
It is likely that you will spot many species out at sea such as pods of up to 800 Dusky Dolphins cavorting in the water around you!
But the star of the show is of course the magnificent Sperm Whale which can be seen year round as it comes to the surface after hunting for giant squid at depths of up to 3,200 metres.
You may also see migratory humpback whales (June-July), Hector's Dolphins, Orcas (December-March) and NZ Fur Seals, as well as plenty of bird species including Royal Albatross, Petrels and Shearwaters.
Your local crew know the area and the whales themselves and will provide you with a fascinating commentary as you enter into the habitat of the amazing array of wildlife that call this area home.
Daily, year round. Does not operate 25th December.
Varies throughout the year. Check calendar for details.
3.5 hours, including around 2.5 hours on the water.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Whale Watch Kaikoura
- Please follow the instructions on your voucher.
- The tour is not suitable for children aged less than 3 years old.
- This tour requires a minimum of 15 people to operate otherwise the tour may not operate or a surcharge may apply.
- There is a 95% guarantee of seeing whales - if you don’t see a whale you will be refunded 80% of your tour price.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.
Frequently Asked Questions for Whale Watch Kaikoura
- What should I bring?
Flat shoes, warm clothing, light waterproof clothing (if you wish to spend time on the decks) and don't forget your camera!