March 21st marks 50 years since the opening of the original SeaWorld park in San Diego and with it the start of an 18 month long celebration across all three SeaWorld parks.
It was way back in 1964 that the first ever SeaWorld park opened in Mission Bay, San Diego and since then they have gone on to become the most popular marine parks in the world, whilst diversifying out into a range of other great parks such as Busch Gardens, Discovery Cove and Aquatica.
SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration will feature a Sea of Surprises, starting 21 March 2014, with SeaWorld parks in San Diego,Orlando and San Antonio sharing the excitement throughout an 18-month celebration, highlighting some of the most memorable SeaWorld experiences.
Visitors will be invited to take part in the excitement through new interactive experiences, shows and pathway performances, even more up-close animal encounters throughout the park and the SeaWorld “Surprise Squad” treating guests with prizes every day.
- SeaWorld San Diego will celebrate 50 years by completely transforming the park’s arrival experience. The brand new Explorer’s Reef will open in March for the celebration kick-off, and immediately immerse park guests into an undersea oasis. From the moment they enter the park, guests can connect with the sea through multiple touch pools featuring shark pups, rays, skates and delicate little cleaner fish.
- From March 21st, park pathways will come to life with spontaneous entertainment. “Bubble Blowout” is sure to be a guest favorite with a fantastical vehicle creating bubbles of all sizes and shapes. Engaging performances with sea-inspired costumes and props, such as "Splash Dance" and the "Sea Street Band" will pop up to surprise guests throughout the day.
- Starting this summer, there will be new shows that offer guests the chance to celebrate the longer park hours. “Shamu’s Celebration: Light Up The Night” is a night-time Shamu Show debuting at all three SeaWorld parks this summer. The high energy show will include new, original music and production elements
- The “SeaWorld Surprise Squad” will roam the SeaWorld parks on a daily basis giving away prizes and special gifts, including exclusive ride access, behind-the-scenes experiences, Shamu-themed merchandise, reserved show seating and more.
- SeaWorld guests are often greeted by an animal ambassador, many of whom were orphaned or injured in the wild and given a second chance thanks to the SeaWorld Rescue Team. As part of SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration, there will be more surprise encounters with animal ambassadors throughout the day. A pair of Magellanic penguins, a lemur, or even a parade of flamingos could surprise guests at any moment at all three SeaWorld locations.
- To showcase SeaWorld’s commitment to the environment and passion for protecting the ocean, a series of giant sea life sculptures will be displayed throughout the parks. SeaWorld commissioned environmental art group The Washed Ashore Project for a collection of larger-than-life sea-themed sculptures – many weighing more than half a ton. The materials used to create these pieces came from the billions of pounds of rubbish – mostly plastics – that wind up in the oceans. These amazing works of art point to the urgent need to protect marine animals from such dangers and preserve their ocean habitats.
- As part of its continuing commitment to new technology that enhances the guest experience, SeaWorld’s 50th Celebration will include new ways for fans to connect to the parks and each other though digital devices. The parks will be launching a variety of enhancements, from interactive apps that provide fun new ways to experience the park to new games and video content.
You can enjoy the best of the SeaWorld parks with Attraction Tickets Direct's great range of tickets to SeaWorld San Diego,Discovery Cove and for a limited time, enjoy SeaWorld Orlando, Aquatica and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay with unlimited admission for 14 days to all three parks for the price of two.