Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Adults-only dinner show??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Adults-only dinner show??

Here's a strange one - word of a new dinner-show inside the Pirates Dinner Show arena 5 times a week. We're slightly non-plussed by this:

Treasure Tavern is taking shape as Orlando’s newest dining experience for adults. Construction is underway for the 240-seat theater located in the Pirate’s Dinner Adventure entertainment complex near International Drive. Scheduled to open this summer, the two-hour dinner show will feature a three-course meal and comedians, acrobats and dancers themed to a Caribbean outpost. The show will run five nights a week, with two shows on Friday and Saturday. Admission is $49.95 for adults 18 and up only and $24.95 for the show without dinner.

www.TreasureTavern.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Table dancing rum girls? Gee, honey, can we go right away?! I can't wait to spend a night of my holiday with my husband oggling table dancers while I sit there swilling my grog and waving my cutlass. Woo hoo! What a treat!

Sorry...this is convention crowd fodder. Or, more precisely, Male Convention Crowd fodder. A little titilation for the guys who are tired of Hooters or prefer women with an eye patch.

Here's a quote from the Orlando Business Journal:
    Abe Pizam, dean of the Rosen College of Hospitality Management, said Treasure Tavern also may be a hit with visitors staying at I-Drive hotels who want someplace to go after hours. “One of the most frequent complaints of I-Drive visitors such as convention-goers is that there’s no nightlife in the vicinity of the convention center except for Universal CityWalk,” he said.

Ok, snarky comments aside, I'm curious to hear your take on this. If it's for the convention crowd, are they really looking for a pirate show with some risque jokes and a 3-course meal? If it's for adults on holiday, are you going to get a paid-for in-room sitter to watch the kiddies while you go out to a pirate show? If you're a woman, do you want your holiday 'date night' to include hot pirate wenches dancing on your table so that you can look up their skirt?

Just curious. And I could be totally wrong. Do you think this is the sort of 'adult entertainment' the tourists and conventioners have been hankering for, or does it make you think it's a strip club minus the stripping?
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 10-05-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Putting my retail market segmentation hat on, its a market thats not been covered/tapped much in Orlando In that it looks like its designed to be a bit risky, but not at the strip joint end of the market. Paris made an industry out of this type of thing.

Does not fill me with an Orlando type of feeling but you sort of know someone was going to try and those conventioneers need somwhere to .........

You make a good point Susan, in what are they looking for (that is the conventioneers). Issue might be here that its a form of market test. Basically, with little competition for those conventioners at night lets just test it out. My major concern would be the next stage. If it works suddenly you will find mimicking for the worse. Similar to the coaster market. Once you have been on X coaster, the next park has to just push that new one faster and higher. Here it would worry me that once you have seen one Pirate with a risky joke and an eye patch, you need to bring the crowds back and that involves pushing more and more boundries. Then you have to worry about what type of people will be heading to the area if it gets a bit too risky!

Yo Ho yo Ho a ................... answers on a postcard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We just went out to Publix and on the way there were talking about what sort of adult entertainment would work in Orlando, specifically in the main tourist areas such as I-Drive. Both of us thought of the Lido too, Ret, but ultimately wonder if it's more of a couple's experience because it's done in very high style and is sort of a 'cultural' experience to some degree. Works in Vegas too, partly for the same reason. But Orlando? I'm not sure.

Again, all snarkiness aside, I just don't get the 'kid' theme (pirates) with the risque twist that makes it 'adult' entertainment.
    -Am I going to see a pirate show? Kid stuff.
    -Am I going to see a risque show? Adult stuff.
    -Am I going to see something I wouldn't take my wife to see? Adult (-ish) stuff.
    -If so, do I want it to 'take me back in time to a Caribbean port with pirates? Kid stuff.

Just one opinion, and maybe it'll be the best thing that hit I-Drive since the Golden Corral. But you make the excellent point that if it DOES do well, we may be looking at an I-Drive where you have to cover the kids eyes as you walk down the street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm afraid I just don't get this. Conventioneers know this is Orlando and not Vegas (or Paris), so why would they expect it to BE Vegas?? If you're going to try a Paris Lido-type show, fair enough. But just to make it Hooters with girls in skimpy pirate costumes and a comedian....??? I must be missing something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well it won't be grabbing my attention that's for sure.

As Simon says, this is Orlando not Vegas so why put it on. Rubbish decision in my mind.
    Last edited by Tiggers Friend; 11-05-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Based on the old adage that if you've got nothing good to say, say nothing; I'll say this:

Default Clarification

Thanks for all the interest in Treasure Tavern. I represent the new attraction and hope to clarify the headline that Orlando Business Journal wrote.

A better description of what Treasure Tavern entails is that is a cross between Rosie O'Gradys and the Adventures Club. Yes, it is for people 18 and up, but it is not an R-rated show in any manner or form. It is designed for men and women to enjoy. Remember, Adventurers Club was 18-and-up as well.

It is also a completely separate entrance, admission and theater from Pirate's Dinner Adventure, which is still remains a great family entertainment. This will also not be a pirate's show. The theme of the show is based on a Caribbean tavern from the turn of the century. The entertainment will be specialty acts from across the world, many of which do have a European flair - much like Cirque does.

I hope that explains more. I welcome your feedback and hope you give Treasure Tavern a chance and let us know what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi alanbyrd, and welcome to the ATD forums.

We've been talking about this for the last couple of days (having read the press release and the online articles), and perhaps you can give us a clearer idea of what the show is, as we're really struggling to get our heads around this particular offering.

Since Rosie O'Grady's and Adventurer's Club were not '18 and up only', can you help us understand the comparison?

Perhaps giving us a much better description of what this really is will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The dance clubs at Pleasure Island were for adults aged 21 and over. Minors were able to visit both the Adventurers Club and the Comedy Warehouse. As someone who still mourns the loss of the intimate and utterly ingenious (non dinner) show that was the Adventurers Club, I'd be interested to hear fuller details of precisely what we can expect from Treasure Tavern.

Thread Information