Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: Knotts Scary Farm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Knotts Scary Farm

Well, I managed to get a few hours off of work last weekend to visit Knotts Scary Farm. Knotts was apparently was the first of the parks to ever run a Halloween special event and so are one of the best. I've never done any of the others, so cannot make a judgement, but we had a great time.

I went with our customer service manager Michael, his girlfriend Veronica and her little brother Caser (15).

We had got our tickets online, which not only saved us a few dollars but also saved us standing in a huge queue to buy on the gate. The regular park had closed at 5pm and by the time we got there at about 6pm there was already a long line to get in for the 7pm start. Around 6:30 they started letting us into the area immediately behind the entrance, after first running us through a metal detector.:eek: Apparently a few years back there were problems with local teens fighting and so they stepped up security which has stopped all that nonsense.

This is everyone waiting to get let into the park proper.

As you can see the park is very well 'dressed' for the event, but in a much more horrible way than Disney.

There are actors all over the park in costume who's job it is to scare the living daylights out of you! While taking the first photo I had one come up behind me and yell in my ear. Once the park was open proper they would also run and then drop onto hands and knees to go into a group. They had metal plates on their palms and knee pads on so would scrape along the ground leaving a shower of sparks behind. The metal plates also allowed them to make LOUD bangs against walls, trash cans, lamp posts and anything else they hit in order to startle.

Most of the time it was simply a startle fright, but if they got a reaction then they would give chase! Great fun to watch, if not to be the one running away.;)

Costumes ranged from monsters, to clowns, to doctors and nurses to aliens, all very high quality and with excellent masks and makeup.

Guests are not permitted to wear costumes, so I have to presume this is real.:eek:

Most of the rides were open for the event, so the first order of the evening was appropriately enough Ghost Rider, one of the fastest wooden coasters I have ever been on.

Once done with that we went to the first of the 'mazes'. These are not really mazes at all since you can only follow one route, but rather sets staffed with more monsters to scare you. All were of a very high standard and followed different horror themes like a BBQ restaurant where you are on the menu, a prison riot, a fallout shelter, a 'doll' factory and 'children of the corn'.

Very scary, but also very well staffed with people in regular uniform at 'emergency' exits if things got too intense.

By the time we got out of the first maze it was fully dark and with smoke machines everywhere and most of the regular lights off moving around the park was very atmospheric indeed.

Along with the 13 specially constructed mazes they also were running half a dozen special shows. We managed to catch 3, a Stomp style monster drummer show, an amazing fire juggling/dance/poi show and a very funny (and rude) magic show. The magic show was especially good and included an acrobat double act where the girl had absolutely no legs, not even a hint of stumps. It felt a bit odd watching her, like you were exploiting her, but she seemed totally at home on stage and clearly it didn't bother her.

Among watching the shows and visiting the mazes we also found time to ride Silver Bullet, Knotts' excellent suspended coaster and take a ride on the normally very sedate Mine Train. I say normally because most of the time the figures mining don't suddenly turn round and run screaming toward the train like they did this night. Nor are there usually quite such big spiders in there!:eek:

All in all we had a fantastic night and could have happily stayed well past the 2am closing time. If ever you are in Orange County California around this time of year and don't mind having the stuffing scared out of you give it a try.
    Last edited by spencem; 22-09-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Change photo host
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds great, can't wait to hear more on sunday.
    Glad you managed to get a few hours away from the grindstone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like you had a great time but that has got to be my idea of hell:eeki would like to try Disney but i'm not a fan of
    having the stuffing scared out of you
    the themeing looks impressive though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds very scary spencem. :eek:

While taking the first photo I had one come up behind me and yell in my ear.
    Now this wouldn't be allowed in the UK by Health & Safety!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Whilst it sound brilliantly themed I am such a wuss I wouldn't sleep for a month after...:eek:
    And someone chasing me......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic, spencem! What a great event!

If you liked KSF, you'll love Halloween Horror Nights and Howl-O-Scream. The same idea, and just massively good fun. HHN had Children of the Corn a few years back and it was one of the scariest scare zones I've ever seen. :eek:

SO glad to hear you had some fun time! Love the pic of Racoon Girl!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a great night.
    We done the universal horror night before and loved it (well once we got out of the haunted houses)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like KBF is definitely somewhere we should check out for Halloween Very much a headline event with a high 'Scare' factor!! Good fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like you had great fun Spencem, however I think I shall give it a miss......I'm a wuss :o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glad you managed some 'social' time, it sounds like harrowing good fun

Thread Information