Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Continental

Default Continental

We're flying to Orlando via Newark in April. We had originally booked direct flights but Virgin over booked and we got bumped!

Virgin have told me that our bag will be checked in at Heathrow and we wont see them until Orlando however the more I am reading this doesnt seem to be the case. We only have 90 minutes in Newark before the internal flight leaves.

Does anyone else have any experience of Continental?
    Any infor would be great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as the airline goes they are just as good as most other scheduled airlines. My sister and her husband use them to fly when he visits his family in the USA.
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say you dont think your bags will make it to Orlando. Is this because you dont trust the baggage handlers to transit your bags or becuase there isnt enough time with your connection.
    In that respect 90 mins is plenty of time to get your bags onto the Orlando bound plane. The trouble *may* be you getting through immigration in time for your connection. It certainly can be done in 90 mins if your flight comes in on time and the lines are moving quickly but its a little close for comfort in my book.
    Having said that since you are booked through on the single ticket with the same airline if you are delayed they will help more than if you were changing airlines at Newark.

p.s Oh forgot to say....Welcome to the forum! If you have any other questions there is a wealth of knowledge on the board here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't add much more than dm has already said, when we flew to Tampa via Washington we didn't see our bags until Tampa. I'm sure you will be OK.

BTW welcome to the forum, is this your first visit to the Magic?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum, skeates! In reply to your query, you ought to be OK as you are ticketed all the way with one airline, and Continental are usually a very reliable carrier. As dmrevis says, 90 minutes for the change of plane is cutting it a little tight to get through immigration, but you will get the benefit of a much easier arrival in Orlando, with no long immigration lines to deal with.

If there is a problem at all - if there is a flight delay and you don't make the connection, Continental ARE duty bound to get you on the next flight and take care of you in between. I've got through NY with only an hour to spare in the past, and my baggage did make it safely as well, but it can be a bit of a sweat. Continental's ground staff should be able to help as much as possible and point you in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi and welcome.

We flew indirect with Delta, changing at Atlanta.
    On arrival at Atlanta we had to collect our luggage, after immigration, take it thru customs, and then we immediately passed it to the baggage handlers.
    We then went off to find our next gate, but had a silghtly longer layover than you, but we even had time to grab some snacks and drinks.
    Would certainly do and indirect flight again, if the price was right

On our return journey, we checked in at Orlando, and didn't see our luggage till we landed back in England, this was despite us literally only having 10mins to change planes at Atlanta, due to the aiport having been closed due to a tropical storm :eek:
    They literally shut the plane doors after we boarded, and we were airbourne in the next 5mins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't add anything further except welcome to the forum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hiya and welcome to the forum skeates. Have never flown indirect so can't help with the question. Can I ask did you book through Thos Cook? Reason being that my friends sister and her family were booked with Thos Cook to fly with Virgin in April but got bumped and are now flying indirect too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome.

Hope you got sone compensation from Virgin. Especially as you are being sent 1000 miles North to the go South again?

Would have thought they could have put you on BA to Miami rather than adding hours to your travel?

Also seems like good deal for Virgin as Continental have been putting out some good prices lately whilst Virgin has been high.

We are travelling this year with Continental, friends speak well of the Int Legs and a little less positive of the internals.

Read that all their aircraft have now been updated internally and have good touch screed tv in seats, unlike Virgins poor system that they keep promising to replace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weren't Continental and Virgin codeshare partners? Unless i'm wrong I remember getting prices last year from Continental for flights direct from LGW to MCO. I thought it was weird but when i dug a little deeper it was a codeshare flight on a Virgin aircraft. Cheaper than Virgin's price too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmrevis View Post
    Weren't Continental and Virgin codeshare partners? Unless i'm wrong I remember getting prices last year from Continental for flights direct from LGW to MCO. I thought it was weird but when i dug a little deeper it was a codeshare flight on a Virgin aircraft. Cheaper than Virgin's price too.
    Certainly out of MAN they codeshare (along with Singapore Airlines).
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Thread Information