Thanks Thanks:  79
Likes Likes:  555
Page 172 of 176 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 1759

Topic: Florida Weather Report

  1. #1711
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern England
    Posts
    12,919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    While it has been terrible for the Bahamas I'm glad you guys look like be spared the worst.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

  2. #1712
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando!
    Posts
    17,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That's the truth, TF, and we're very grateful. Sighs of relief all-round, albeit some of the forecasts were well off track as far as Orlando is concerned.

    Day 4: And the worst of Dorian definitely passed through in the night, around 1am. It brought steady rain for several hours and wind gusts up to 40mph, plus some persistent, high-level thunder, but nothing most people probably didn't sleep through (I did, Susan didn't!!). We have definitely had worse afternoon thunderstorms, though, and there was no sign of any damage of any kind - apart from a few palm fronds and magnolia tree cones down. The coast IS being battered by Dorian though, and there are several thousand people without power in Volusia and Brevard counties to the east of us. It is still (barely) a Cat 2 storm at 105mph, and it is now moving at 8mph north. The fact it stayed a bit further out to sea than most predictions ensured Orlando didn't feel any significant impacts in the end, and things should be completely back to normal within a few hours. There is a lingering strong breeze and lots of cloud, but, otherwise, no real signs of anything amiss. We are definitely grateful.

    Temp: 74F/26C (Heat Index 74/26)
    Dew point: 71F
    Humidity: 91%
    Pressure: 29.74
    Winds: 16mph (gusts to 31)

  3. #1713
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    12,751
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Glad to hear you are fine. Will be asking Alans cousins tonight how their family fared at Fort Pierce.

  4. #1714
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando!
    Posts
    17,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Fort Pierce would likely have felt winds around 60mph at times, CL, with some minor flooding in low-lying areas. There has been no news of any specific damage there on our TV updates, but it would certainly have felt a lot more effect from Dorian than here in central Florida.

    Meanwhile, the Hurricane is still churning at 105mph, heading north towards Georgia and the Carolinas. We are not totally clear of the tail of it just yet, but I expect we will be back to normal within a few hours. With that in mind, here is the final statistical update. We still have a very breezy day, but things are brightening up and there has been no more rain:

    Temp: 82F/27.5C (Heat Index 88/31)
    Dew point: 73.4F
    Humidity: 74.3%
    Pressure: 29.77
    Winds: 20mph (gusts to 35)

    Now, for the next 5-plus days, we are likely to be increasingly dry and sunny (not to mention hot!). Dorian will draw a LOT of moisture out of the atmosphere as it leaves the area, and we have virtually NO rain in the forecast for the next 7-plus days. With no rain (and very little cloud), the temp will soar from the current mid-80sF to the mid 90s (34-35C), so things could dry up really quickly. probably a very nice time to be here - albeit a touch on the sweltering side!

  5. #1715
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern England
    Posts
    12,919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Now, for the next 5-plus days, we are likely to be increasingly dry and sunny (not to mention hot!). Dorian will draw a LOT of moisture out of the atmosphere as it leaves the area, and we have virtually NO rain in the forecast for the next 7-plus days. With no rain (and very little cloud), the temp will soar from the current mid-80sF to the mid 90s (34-35C), so things could dry up really quickly. probably a very nice time to be here - albeit a touch on the sweltering side!
    That's what happened to us in 2016 when Matthew checked out. So from the ridiculous to the sublime!!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

  6. #1716
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando!
    Posts
    17,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    And, when the storm clears out, the sky is left looking like this...


  7. #1717
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando!
    Posts
    17,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sure enough, the passing of Dorian has left things really hot and dry here. There is hardly a cloud to be seen in the mornings, and the Heat Index has already hit 100F/37.7C at 11.30am. It will get hotter (as it has for the past 4 days). It should usually be around 90/32 at this time of year, with a bit extra for the humidity.

    The bad news for allergy sufferers is that the pollen count has gone sky high, too, so it's a tough time to be out and about!

  8. #1718
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando!
    Posts
    17,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If we go without any rain again today (which seems distinctly likely with the dawning of another hot, clear morning), we will have gone 7 straight dry days, which is pretty unusual for this time of year, but indicative of just how powerful a storm passed by last week. The fact every last ounce of moisture was drawn out of the atmosphere by Dorian has been the prime cause for the dry spell, but things are forecast to get back to 'summer normal' tomorrow with a "30% chance of storms," increasing to 70% over the next 3-4 days. We need it, too. With temps hitting 95F/35C this week, the landscape dries up really, really fast, and we could definitely do with some rain, as it would also help to cool things down. With the Heat Index at or above 100/37.7, we are enduring a sweltering September so far and, while that isn't totally unusual, we should see things start to cool off a little, albeit it is normally October before we see any substantial change in the weather.

  9. #1719
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando!
    Posts
    17,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    OK, we are starting to see the first small-scale squalls for the first time in more than a week today, just small but fast-moving and spread out across Central Florida. There is only a "30% chance of storms" according to the forecast, but that probably realistically equates to "30% of the area will see some rain and possibly a thundery outbreak" today.

    The bad news is that there is an area of "tropical disturbance" (just below a tropical depression), which could potentially develop quite quickly over the next 3-4 days. It is POSSIBLE it could become a tropical depression, and then a storm, in rapid succession, bringing more stormy, wet weather to the areas most recently affected by Hurricane Dorian. At the moment, some models have it wandering off into the Gulf, but some have it going through the Bahamas (again) and threatening Florida's Atlantic coast (again).

    Needless to say, we will be watching this VERY closely in the next 48 hours.

  10. #1720
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando!
    Posts
    17,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Here we go again...

    There is now a Tropical Storm Watch for parts of the Florida coast, although this 'disturbance' has yet to grow into anything significant beyond 30mph winds and lots of rain over the southern Bahamas. The northern Bahamas now have a Tropical Storm Warning (meaning they can expect winds up to 73mph in the next 36 hours), and that would target the exact areas so recently ravaged by Dorian. There is a "90% chance" that this WILL develop into a more significant storm in the next 24 hours and, while it may not be another hurricane, it could well bring more damage to an already devastated area. Those poor people just can't catch a break...

    Here in central Florida, we can expect a wet, windy day on Sunday (2 days' time), if it develops as they expect.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •