Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Be careful what you say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It really is very scary, just goes to show that what is meant in one language has a total different meaning in another.
    Some companies are even watching Facebook and they will dismiss employees for bringing down the company and saying negative remarks, you really have to be careful.
    Happiness is my piggies Belle & Chip and my cats Disney & Bob

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Totally support the security services here, they should always be 100% cautious. They do not know whether some idiot is using slang or not so what is it to be.

He might or might not be using slang so I will let him in. Then what if he is not using slang..
    Or the other approach of safety first.

Yet again there is irresponsible reporting by our media here making a joke out of some official whose only offence is doing his job properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where is our media making a joke out of an official? I've read the article again and all I see is factual reporting. As others have mentioned, this isn't a chance encounter. The tweet was made months before the guy entered the US and the full weight of US Intelligence has obviously been put behind the case. Why has that Intelligence not been more robust in identifying this for what it is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DH of Dolphingirl View Post
    Totally support the security services here, they should always be 100% cautious. They do not know whether some idiot is using slang or not so what is it to be.
    Not at first glance, no. Clearly there's a very solid case for scanning for such phrases in the first instance, but they're not then going to make knee-jerk reaction. These are clever people with huge resources at their disposal (and in this case, plenty of time on their side, too) so I can't understand how it came to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness
    Take it for what it's worth, which isn't any more than anyone else's opinion.
    And in this case it's going to take a lot more than a 100% consensus of 0.00000003 of the UK's population for me to change mine.

As I've said, I can see both sides, but I'm struggling to understand how this fundamentally innocuous situation couldn't have been sorted out. And surely no-one can miss the irony that the one tweet is a quote from Family Guy.
    Last edited by UK Deb; 02-02-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some interesting comments from US citizens to the Daily Mail article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    Perhaps you're right. The US is just a bunch of knee-jerking scardy cats who treat our visitors like criminals.
    Who me? I haven't said that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps we are all missing the crucial issue here. They had already flagged this guy, they thought he was a threat and they beloved he was going to comit a crime/destroy the US.

SO WHY DID THEY LET HIM FLY!

That's what needs investigated.

I think that's a more worrying issue.

I still bet there is somthing we are missing/don't know about. I wonder if his name just happened to match something?

Noticed the Mail can't decide what her name is Bunting/Banting etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bloody hell, I won't even get back to Llandudno if the read some of my stuff!
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Thread Information