Day 6 - Aquatica
    Day 7 - Busch Gardens
    Day 8 - Shopping
    Day 9 - SeaWorld
    Day 10 - Universal, TNA & HHN
    Day 11 & 12 - Busch Gardens & Rest Day
    Day 13 - Seaworld Spooktacular
    Day 14 & 15 - Universal & Home

In reality, the planning for this trip probably started about halfway through our first visit in 2010. We were having such a good time and we didn’t want it to end. I'm sure those of you who have visited before will know what I mean... and those who are planning to visit? You'll find out

For our 2012 trip we decided to do a lot of things similar, with a few days out changed. We settled on the same hotel, same flight, even the same flight number (I used the same tag from our first trip!). We booked and the countdown began.

We awoke early on Tuesday morning, having had a pretty restless night owing to our excitement. The taxi turned up and we were the last pickup of the six people in our party… We arrived at the airport and sailed through check in. We were offered an upgrade for the bargainous £250ish, we politely declined.

After the last visit when I was unable to eat anything through excitement, I found myself peckish in the airport so we started the holiday with a bacon sandwich and a pint.. At 8am! Oops. Oh well, we’re on holiday!

The plane was running a little late, but eventually we were boarded and on our way. The plane was one of the new Airbus A330 and I really enjoyed the whole flight experience. The new media centres were excellent allowing us the freedom to choose what to watch and when to watch it. I also found myself playing a few of the games to pass time and had a light sleep for a couple of hours. I watched Men in Black 3 then the Aardman animation ‘Pirates’ which was hilariously silly.

No amount of entertainment can get me past that point at about 8 hours where I’m pretty much done with flying. How I made it to Australia 8 years ago, I’ll never know! So it was a welcome relief when we finally landed without any risk of diversion or the bad weather we had on the previous visit, we'd also made up the lost time from the slightly delayed take-off.

Immigration was about half full and we were soon through without issue. Prior to the holiday Gemma had picked a new case with a bright purple floral pattern, I immediately saw it and rushed over to grab it.. Evidently the purple floral cases were a big seller this year as it was soon followed by another two. I checked the name and sure enough it wasn’t our case. The next one along was, so I grabbed that and went to wait for the other cases. I was soon joined by a member of airport staff who pointed out the other purple floral cases and asked if they were mine. Same mistake as me!

From here we headed for the tramway (everyone else called it a monorail, it's clearly some sort of guided elevated tramway) and hopped on to our booked Mears transport to the Quality Inn International on I-Drive.
    Check in was straightforward in the newly decorated reception. The renovations to the area are more or less done now, with just a few small bits being worked on while we were there. A very helpful receptionist booked us three rooms together on the ground floor by the pool. This meant no noise from the Denny’s behind the hotel at 6am, but we did have one or two issues with rowdy pool users later at night. I’m not a complainer, but 11pm noise from the pool is a little too much after a long day in the parks. To be fair to the hotel, the noisier guests were dealt with by security before we had reason to complain.

The rooms had been modernized a little since our last visit and were clean, functional and now featured wide screen LCD TVs. The air conditioning did have a habit of sounding like an old plane taking off though. Perhaps they’re nearing the end of several operational life times?

We reconvened at a later point and headed out for a little food and drink. We were determined not to make the same mistake from the last holiday by partaking in the latter, but forgetting the former. We headed to the Tilted Kilt and I ordered a French Dip beef sandwich with fries. The food was great comfort food after a long flight and was washed down with beer from beer tubes. A guitarist played 90s indie rock on the terrace while we ate.

The long day soon took its toll, so we headed to the hotel shop to grab soft drinks (pricey, but we forgot to call in the ABC on the way past!) and headed to bed to sleep. I made the mistake of leaving the air-con on and had a restless night as it woke me up as it flew past (turned on!).
    Last edited by kaytronika; 31-01-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Added Trip Index
    [QII - Sept/Oct 2010], [QII - Sept/Oct 2012], [RII - Sept/Oct 2013]
    [RI Pointe - Sept/Oct 2015], [Villa - June 2016], [RII - May 2017], [POR - May 2018]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sounds like a very good start to your trip, good that you didn't have too long a wait in Immigration as that has been a problem recently.
    Lol at the purple case though! When we eventually return I think new suitcases might be purchased, must remember not to get a purple flowery one then...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a great start kaytronika

Not sure how you managed that pint at 8am though!

And a bonus immigration was a quick visit, our last couple of trips have been quite slow.

The QII sounds like a good choice, it's always easier IMO to go back to somewhere you like than searching around again. If it meets your needs then it ticks the box.

Looking forward to the next installments.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glad you had a good flight over and as TF said, not to long wait at immigration. We have stayed at the Quality INN international 9 times now and have always had a good stay, except for the late night pool users, but quickly dealt with by security. Really looking forward to tomorrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A great start... my daughter works at Weatherspoons at the airport and was really surprised when she started at the number of people drinking pints at 4 am:eek: so 8.00 is quite late really ;) not sure i'd be very well on the plane if i tried drinking that early :o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like you had a stress free start to your trip

I too like to return to somewhere that we had a good trip too, it really is like coming home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A very good start, and I laughed at your comment about having food AND drink this time, as I remember your report from last time.

Glad it went so well! Looking forward to reading more.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ELAINE View Post
    A great start... my daughter works at Weatherspoons at the airport and was really surprised when she started at the number of people drinking pints at 4 am:eek: so 8.00 is quite late really ;) not sure i'd be very well on the plane if i tried drinking that early :o
    Yep, I used to work at the bar at Stansted Airport when the boys were young and did the weekend 4 am til 2 pm shift. I have always said that if I had a pound for every person who came in as soon as I opened at 4 and ordered an alcoholic drink with the words, "I don't normally drink at this time, but I am on holiday", then I wouldn't need to be working now. 8 am is practically midday

A nice start to the holiday, looking forward to reading more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a smooth and well-organised start, with the bonus of a morning libation!! Hope you get used to the air-conditioning...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great start to your trip report : )
    ***Lisa***

--1994 Evansville, Indiana - Kentucky - Memphis - Illinois --- 1996 LA - San Diego - San Fran - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon -- 1997 New York - 1998 Evansville, Indiana - St Louis -- 1998 New York - St Lucia --2000 Evansville, Indiana - Nashville - Chicago -- 2001 Clearwater -- 2007 Orlando -- 2010 Orlando -- 2012 Orlando -- 2013 LA -- Oct 2014 Orlando -- Mar 2016 Roadtrip NYC/DC/Virginia/Tennessee/Indiana/Kentucky -- 2017 Orlando

Thread Information