Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tea Bags

Default Tea Bags

My missis is in a mild state of panic about not being able to get "proper" Tea when we go in May , has anyone ever taken tea bags and did you declare it or just stick it in your suitcase ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Always stick then in our suitcase. Tend to take the Typhoo tea bags that are in foil packets. Couldn't do without my cup of tea first thing in the morning and US tea is ehhhhh...not nice!
    Never declared them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you forget them nearly every Tourist area Publix or Walmart have PG tips.

Have normally taken mine with me. Always declared in case they do stop me as technically it's a fine if you bring food etc in without declaring. However, they do not mind about teabags and either the immigration peron tiks it and says dont worry or customs do the same. Always think declaring costs nothing but being stopped can. Even if they do check, they just put it through a scanner beside the customs and it takes about 1 minute extra.

The biggest problem is that the water means that no tater what you do I will not taste like UK tea....Euch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As with Catlady and Ret we take tea bags with us, in the past in plastic box. Tea is permissible to take in as it is classed as dry goods.

http://london.usembassy.gov/ukcustom.html#food

I believe that it is best to leave them in the original box.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default tea

You can also buy Twinnings Breakfast tea ( the best) in most supermarkets
    I'm a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can also find PG Tips and Yorkshire/Yorkshire Gold nearly everywhere now. Wal-Mart, Publix, and Winn-Dixie all carry one or both brands.

Bear in mind, they won't taste exactly the same because the water here has floride in it. But buy filtered water and it should taste just like home.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would never of thought about declaring tea bags. I once even took a box of weetabix and never declared that. I think I will in future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always take teabags. Its not just that the water is "different" there, but mostly its not boiling from the hot water urns, which means poor tea. If you are lucky enough to have boiling water and not just "hot water" the tea will be better. Also proper milk rather than creamer will help a lot with the flavour of your cuppa. Stay away from cardboard cups and wooden stirrers. Buy a mug and use a spoon. Crikey i sound like a total tea snob!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's impractical to boil water fresh for every cup of tea in a busy restaurant, anywhere in the world. But those commercial urns dispense water at 204F, and 212F is boiling.

Same thing is used for coffee, which comes out so hot we've had to put warnings on our to-go cups so that no more grannies can sue the restaurant because the coffee is hot.

I don't know of any restaurant that boils water for each order (including restaurants I've been to in the UK) but I also don't know of anyone who doesn't boil water for tea at home.

I think our tea tastes different because most restaurant tea comes from lousy leaves, and the water has a different taste. Took me a long time to get used to Florida water after being in Michigan.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree its not practical in a restaurant environment, i was talking more about the hot water dispensers in breakfast/refreshment areas in hotels which certainly arent anywhere near boiling as ive experience on all my trips to the USA, Orlando or otherwise.

Thread Information