Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Topic: Historical Trip Report: Background

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Historical Trip Report: Background

Background

This is a trip report from our first family trip in February 2006, written through the mists of time now in 2014 some 8 years later. Some of the details are likely to be a little hazy and the timestamps might be a little off since the pictures have moved between several computers since then, but I'll do my best to capture the atmosphere of the trip.

The Cast
    Me, Spencem 34 at the time. Never been to Disney, did Universal Hollywood and SeaWorld San Diego in 1998 and experienced IOA and USF on a work trip in 2005 for a day and a bit.

AngelMouse, my DW, 35 at the time. Been to Disneyland, Universal Hollywood and SeaWorld San Diego back in 1998 and one-time cast member at the Milton Keynes Disney Store.

DS, 10 at the time. Been exposed to 'coasters' since he was able to sit, but never been on anything really big.

SK, my sister, younger than she is now at the time. A veteran of many a trip to Orlando even then.

HWSNBN (He Who Should Not Be Named) now ex BiL, not really to be mentioned!

My Cousin, somewhere between me and SK in age, first time visitor.

Cousin's partner, older than us all, first time visitor.

Cousin's DS also 10 at the time, first time visitor.

The Story So Far
    This trip had really started the June before when work sent me to a 4 day conference (Tuesday to Friday) at the Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando. It was a bit of last-minute trip and the flight prices were astronomical, when we tried to price it up we discovered the prices without a Saturday night stay were even more ridiculous. Since the hotel room was on a corporate rate (about 95 a night I think) from the company running the conference I was told I was not flying home until the Sunday. Even worse the early flight was full so I was not flying home until 9 or 10 pm, I was not happy.

I went to my boss complaining about being stuck in a hotel room for two days after everyone else had flown home with nothing to do. As much to shut me up as anything like a reward for all the work I'd done he told me to buy a two-day park ticket while I was there and expense it.

I remember one evening we had a meal in City Walk and thinking this is a bit special, nothing like the UK. I'd been to the US before for work, but nowhere like City Walk. Saturday morning rolled around and I went and got a ticket and map from the concierge in the Portofino, where they also told me about the FotL privilege my room key gave me.

Up until this point I'd only ever been to UK parks and the older less themed non-Disney parks in California, so you can imagine my reaction on walking into IoA that wet June morning. I think I had only got as far round as The Lost Continent (having turned right) when I called home and said to DW "We have got to come here on holiday, you'd love it!".

Well, AngelMouse and SK had been trying to get me to go to Florida for years, so this was music to her ears! I'd always been under the impression that Disney was just for little kids and saw no sense in spending a fortune on something aimed at a 5 year old. Disney to me was just Main Street, Mickey Mouse and the castle.

Fast forward to AngelMouse picking me up from Gatwick Monday afternoon, she just casually mentioned that we were booked to go with SK on her almost annual trip the following February. Flights were booked and we were staying in a friend of a friend of SK's villa in Sunridge Woods. With the jet lag I don't think I reacted to badly to hearing our credit card was now looking decidedly sick!

Sometime in the following months my cousin decided to join us, the villa having 4 bedrooms, so the accommodation cost came down a little. I remember looking for park tickets around Christmas and finding ATD. My cousin came into the office where I worked sometime over the Christmas holidays while it was quiet and we booked 14 day Disney Ultimates, the 5 park Flexi (IOA, USF, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Wet'n'Wild) and the Lunch with an Astronaut package at KSC.

Day 0 is here
    Day 1 is here
    Day 2 is here
    Day 3 is here
    Day 4 is here
    Day 5 is here
    Day 6 is here
    Day 7 is here
    Day 8 is here
    Day 9 is here
    Day 10 is here
    Day 11 is here
    Day 12 is here
    Day 13 is here
    Day 14 is here
    Last edited by spencem; 11-09-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Funny how we find Florida isn't it? I remember years back saying I never really wanted to visit the US....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ooooh, what a great set-up!! I can't wait to read more!

Up until this point I'd only ever been to UK parks and Magic Mountain in California, so you can imagine my reaction on walking into IoA that wet June morning.
    Having only been to Disney and Universal Studios, my first reaction to IoA was probably similar. The level of detail just blew me away.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the most telling thing, was you ringing me on your hour and half drive home and me not getting a word in edgeways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thank everyday that his boss gave him the IOA ticket as I dont think otherwise we would have ever gone.
    Happiness is my piggies Belle & Chip and my cats Disney & Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting 'way' to find Florida.

The number of people that over the years have said to me that Disney is for kids. TBH I wish I'd been able to visit pre little one and then enjoyed a visit with the boy.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yay, this will be fun. Since I can remember I had wanted to go. I was 19 on my first trip in 1990 and just so excited. Just as exciting was taking my girls for their first visit in 2000. It's just magic!

Thread Information