Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mosquitos

Default Mosquitos

Sorry if I've posted in wrong area!

We are travelling to Orlando for two weeks on 25th August and have just received a letter from Thomson stating if any member of our party is pregnant we are advised not to travel and can change our holiday.

Fortunately no-one is pregnant so we're still counting down and getting more excited every day.

However with all the news about Zika & mosquitos, thought it would be a good time to ask for some information.

We travelled a similar time two years ago (1 week earlier) and did not see a single Mosi. Are we more likely to be affected as our stay extends into September? Is it recommended to use repellent at all time or just in evening?

Any advice/information is appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have only seen mozzies a few times and both times is where we were playing mini golf very close to water (the mini golf by the George & the Dragon pub) and a place further down IDrive. We have been to Orlando around 15 times and the only place we have seen them is close to water of an evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The parks all spray for mosquitoes, so it's unlikely, though not impossible, that you'll see them there. Once you're outside the parks it's more likely, and if you go into a wetlands area or forest it's pretty much a given. They tend to bite in the evenings, but that doesn't mean they don't also bite during the day. If you plan to become pregnant soon, I'd use Deet pretty regularly. It's not worth taking a chance, IMO.

Keeping it in perspective, the Zika cases are all currently in a small area in Miami.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Veness View Post
    and if you go into a wetlands area or forest it's pretty much a given.
    Yep.

Dont lose any sleep over it, mozzies in Florida have always carried an assortment of diseases, some really nasty ones, chances of catching one, all but zero

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We were in Florida in September last year and didn't see any mozzies then.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been bitten too many times to count (!), but never in and around the parks. If you're staying in a villa, a good bug spray would be highly advisable, though. Mozzies can also be active year-round here.

Thank you for all your replies.

I've previously visited in May and Late August and never seen a Mosi. But with everything in the news thought it better check what the situation is.

We're staying in POR so will use repellent in the eve if going on the boat and may be worth a spray before we go jet skiing on the lake at Contemporary. Not overly worried as never had a problem in Orlando previously. (Years ago in Greece the mosquitos had a feast on me - both of my legs were covered in hundreds of bites. Had to call the doctor but I wouldn't believe they were Mosi bites as there were so many - ended up on anti-biotic when I got home).

Whilst the situation in Florida etc has to be reported the news can sometimes make things sound so much worse (a bit like the alligator situation - some people I know said they would never go to Disney knowing there were alligators in the water! But, whilst a tragic accident took place it is not a regular occurrence and providing you are sensible there shouldn't be a problem. Disney is not an invisible bubble of safety).

We are all very excited about our trip and other than remembering to pack a few insect repellents I'm sure we'll have another fantastic holiday.

Ps. In the teens = 19 days til we meet the mouse (no rodent repellent required LOL)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you either run out or forget to take it we bought some spray called Deep Woods Off. I think you can get it in Walgreens, Publix etc. We got bitten a lot in Sanibel but that was because we sat outside our hotel room in the evening and there were little lights outside each room. Trouble is you dont realise they are getting you until you wake up in the night itching!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OFF and Deep Woods Off are good, and they contain DEET. Just be very, very, very careful when using DEET (you probably already know that). It is NOT safe to ingest it (meaning, watch that your little one doesn't lick his skin or otherwise get it in his mouth. It's also harmful to your eyes).

OFF makes a FamilyCare OFF, which doesn't have DEET and is meant to be safer for children.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Little bit of coffee, proper coffee grounds is best, popped around the ankles and other extremities, seems to work pretty well if you dont like the whole chemical thing

Thread Information