Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  15
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Topic: Hotel woe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No way on earth would I accept any additional "help" from them. Something is very, very fishy with this set-up, IMO. But good luck!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Susan i totally agree something isn't quite right with all this.

I've been out playing golf all day, come back in and guess what? No reply, no contract, no nothing. I'm just getting so frustrated with it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agree with others. Keep booking, enjoy stay and when you leave, perhaps a quiet word?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be inclined to drop a line to the local tourist board, and point out how awkward and unhelpful the hotel has been for overseas visitors: http://visittuscaloosa.com/contact-us/

I doubt they will want to hear what a run-around you've been given, and they may be able to fofer some pertinent advice. For a hotel they feature as Tuscaloosa's "only full-service hotel," they might want to know what's going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This morning i have told them where to stick their hotel and everything has become crystal clear why it got delayed and delayed. The price of a room at the Capstone for a night midweek is around $130 so for 2 nights from the 19th-20th Sept is $260. A weekend stay from the Friday-Sunday at the end of August is $189 a night which is very reasonable for a nice hotel like the Capstone.

However, this morning i received the "contract" they wish me to sign and the charge per night is .................................................. .....

................................ Wait for it

$659 a night plus $15% tax

They wanted me to send my credit card details so they could charge me over $1500 for a standard room for 2 nights. Four nights in a lovely hotel in San Francisco isn't even costing me that for the whole stay for what they want for one night and 8 nights at the Rosen on I-Drive is costing me around 1/3 of what they want me to pay for one night. This is the end of the saga as i was expecting to pay around $250-300 a night allowing for them doubling their price for a football weekend but $750 a night? that is pretty disgusting as far as i am concerned. Have they offered this to me at that price knowing i wouldn't accept it? quite possibly.

Very dissapointed but kind of glad the whole saga is over now and i can get on with other plans.
    Last edited by Superspur; 19-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feared that may be the case, although not to that level of mark up. It's good that you have your fallback position.

I agree with Simon about the tourist board and I'd be tempted to put some comment on TripAdvisor.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was expecting a mark up. The weekend after (22nd sept-24th sept) it is $139 a night plus tax so it is almost 5 times the normal amount for a football weekend, that's more than a mark up, that is ripping people off. I'll be honest, i knew the going rate so i expected it to roughly double to around $300 a night which i was ok with but, with tax, $750 a night? I think it is a case of they have left it late so people desperate for a room will pay that.

I'm not expecting any more correspondance from them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    I'm not expecting any more correspondance from them

Well i wasn't, but they have

I think they are trying to buy off any negative stuff i might write on Tripadvisor

So here is what they sent me:

I am sorry that this didn't work out. Our rates are in line with other area hotels for football weekends and are set by our corporate office. The University of Alabama has all our rooms reserved by contract for the season. Once they begin releasing rooms from their inventory, we begin selling to the general public. I am unable to sell rooms until they begin releasing rooms. That process typically behind on July 1st.

Our hotel is located two blocks from the stadium. The team and coaching staff stay with us on each Friday night before the home games. I would be glad to get you and your family a complimentary parking pass for our hotel so you can both see the team and be close to the stadium for Game Day. If you would like me to set this up for you, please let me know.

Again, I am sorry this didn't work out. I will release the room to our waitlist. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

$750 a night? What a rip off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a load of hogwash. And I'm being kind. This stunk to high heaven right from the start. No hotel does what they've done.

We've stayed in superb hotels during Super Bowl and never paid anywhere near that amount. One of them was just a block or two from the stadium, so the price they've given you is outrageous.

I'd put up the review AND contact the tourism board. What they're doing is just obscene.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Thread Information