Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Flight chaos at Gatwick due to drones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spencem View Post
    Having watched the OFCOM enforcement teams at major events route out stray RF emissions I find it incredible that the police have not been able to call in help and trace the controller of these drones, it should be absolute child's play to localise the source of the radio signal flying them.
    This is exactly what I've been wondering about, spencem. It's not like drones have an indefinite flying range from the source.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have been out for over a week but I am so sad to hear of people whose holidays have been broken. Plus so many trying to visit sick relatives or family funerals or even just get to family for Christmas etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the response to all this has been appaling, can't help thinking in America it would have been done sorted and lots of little drones laying in pieces across Southern England

Everyone is sitting around wondering how to deal with it and now as flights are once again grounded this evening it's looking like it could be some kind of co-ordinated attack by more than one person. I saw one in action up close in Iceland and didn't realise some of these things can go for a couple of miles away from the controller. The worrying thing is if you had flown a drone yesterday and caused all this disruption and didn't realise until later what you had done, you wouldn't be back out today doing exactly the same thing so this seems to be more than just the selfish actions of one individual.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46654797

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it definitely seems to be something concerted and deliberate. Which should make the penalty for it even more serious once they catch the petty-minded morons responsible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well thanks to whoever thought it was a good idea to fly drones over Gatwick airport, our Christmas Disney trip is no more. Hardest thing was seeing parents and their children crying because they had told them they weren’t going to see Mickey after all.

If ever they catch the perpetrator(s), I hope they throw the book at them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBell's Sis View Post
    Well thanks to whoever thought it was a good idea to fly drones over Gatwick airport, our Christmas Disney trip is no more. Hardest thing was seeing parents and their children crying because they had told them they weren’t going to see Mickey after all.

If ever they catch the perpetrator(s), I hope they throw the book at them.

Or attach them to a drone, fly them over Gatorland and threaten to drop them right in the middle.

But seriously, if they are caught they WILL go to prison but you kind of hope that people are able to sue them (i know thats unrealistic with the thousands involved) but the cost to them is so vast they end up losing everything of any value. Sorry you missed your holiday and if it was me i would be absolutely fuming over it, words couldn't express how angry i would be, i'd want to rip someones head off

There have been so many stories in the news the past few days of people not being able to get where they wanted to and it is truely heartbreaking opeople have missed holidays and family get togethers over whoever is responsible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TBS, I Ifeel really sorry for you and DH, I know from your posts how much you were looking forward to your trip.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, you definitely have our deepest sympathy TBS. It is a terrible turn of events, but we can only hope this acts as a wake-up call to the airport authorities and we never see its like again (and that the perpetrators end up with a LONG spell inside). Grrrrr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you TF and Simon. I think the powers that be at Gatwick were like rabbits caught in the headlights on Thursday. They did not know how to handle the situation. At least there are procedures in place to hopefully ensure something like this never happens again.

Thread Information