Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Skyplex on I-Drive - The Next Step

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Skyplex on I-Drive - The Next Step

Is the fabled Skyplex project on I-Drive finally taking shape? This story from GrowthSpotter says it is: https://www.growthspotter.com/news/h...outputType=amp

As ever, we retain a healthy scepticism, as this place has taught us that nothing is ever a done deal until it is up and fully working (and has survived its first year!), but this is definitely a distinct step forward for this project that was announced back in June 2014, but has been tied up in planning and financing details ever since. It remains a massively ambitious project for anyone not called Universal or Disney World (and it is certainly going ahead with Universal's distinct disapproval), so we'll have to see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the post, but unfortunately can't read the link due to the meddling of the EU!!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh gawd. Let's try it with a complete transcript:

The world’s tallest rollercoaster in Orlando’s I-Drive corridor nabs FAA approval

Dubbed the Skyscraper, the most recent plans for the rollercoaster tower features different experiences including a drop ride called SkyFall, a free-fall dive experience called SkyJump and an experience called SkyLedge, which will allow willing participants to walk along the tower’s exterior and lean out backwards while strapped to cords.

US Thrill Rides created and patented the concept. JLL was brought on to conduct a market study for the site.

Wallack is part of the family-owned real estate and development company, Wallack Holdings LLC. He and his father, David Wallack, are founders of the Mango’s Tropical Cafe brand, which has opened locations on I-Drive and Miami’s Ocean Drive.

Once built, Skyscraper will surpass the worlds current tallest rollercoaster: Kingda Ka in Jackson, New Jersey. It opened in 2005 and stands at 456 feet.

In Orlando, it will join other towering attractions directly across the street at Unicorp National Developments’ 20-acre ICON Park. The Wheel observation wheel attraction, for one, stands glowingly at about 400 feet, while its StarFlyer ride can whip passengers around at about 450 feet in the air when spinning on its axis.

Earlier this summer, the park introduced two new attractions that will also win record-breaking heights. The park is slated to open the world’s tallest free-standing drop tower, dubbed the Orlando Gyro Drop Tower in 2020 along with the worlds tallest slingshot attraction, the Orlando Slingshot, which will tower at 300 feet in height.

The Orlando Slingshot and the 400-foot Orlando Gyro Drop Tower are owned by the Slingshot Group of Companies. That same firm brought the StarFlyer attraction to ICON Park.

Wallack said the Orlando metropolitan area is the only region in the United States that the Skyplex entertainment complex belongs in.

“It’s absolutely appropriate,” he said. "Look at how quickly I-Drive has changed in the past five years.... This is the long-game, like in Monopoly. At one point, you’re in the buying and mortgage phase and then later at some point you’re building hotels.

“We’re building something that’s never been done before. It’s special. We’re being very careful with what we’re doing.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for adding the news piece.

Sounds interesting and I would imagine that I-Drive has the footfall to attract enough customers for it to work.

But I note your concern.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, even if they get the planning permission/permitting/financing and marketing to make it all work, I'm not so sure I-Drive would support something this massive outside a theme park. I think the struggles we've seen with The I-Drive Live/The Eye/ICON Park/Whatever-they-call-it-tomorrow suggests there isn't a huge market for large-scale attractions in this area, so whoever invests the massive amount of money on this had better not count on making a big profit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A VPN set to America works fine

Orlando’s I-Drive corridor may soon be welcoming the world’s tallest rollercoaster.

The Federal Aviation Administration has given development rights to developer Joshua Wallack to build higher than 700 feet, thus clearing the way for his planned $500 million Skyplex entertainment complex to ascend into fruition.

“We got clearance to build up to 720 plus feet, but we’ll be in the approximately 595-foot zone,” Wallack told GrowthSpotter. “It’s a huge deal to get and we got it.”

The developer submitted the FAA application about eight months ago, after reconfiguring original plans. With federal approval granted, Wallack said he can begin proper massing and site plans.
    RELATED: Skyplex sends Wallack on parcel shopping spree »

“The [rollercoaster] is the only piece currently fixed,” Wallack said. “Everything else we can play around with. Hopefully by early next year we have site plans ready to go before the county.”

Located near the busy I-Drive-Sand Lake Road intersection, the project is slated to feature an indoor entertainment complex, a parking structure (which will be built first), retail and restaurant components and an upscale hotel.

Orange County commissioners unanimously approved the zoning for the Skyplex Orlando development in 2015, despite lobbying from Universal Orlando against the project. The theme-park company recently announced plans to develop a fourth new theme park resort called Epic Universe, just a couple of miles away from the Skyplex entertainment complex.

In 2016, the father and son development team made amendments to the Planned Development after expanding its holdings in the area. Original plans to include a tower-top restaurant and observation deck were dropped to make the project more feasible, Wallack said.

Dubbed the Skyscraper, the most recent plans for the rollercoaster tower features different experiences including a drop ride called SkyFall, a free-fall dive experience called SkyJump and an experience called SkyLedge, which will allow willing participants to walk along the tower’s exterior and lean out backwards while strapped to cords.

US Thrill Rides created and patented the concept. JLL was brought on to conduct a market study for the site.
    Joshua Wallack and his father David Wallack at an event announcing plans to develop the world's tallest rollercoaster.
    Joshua Wallack and his father David Wallack at an event announcing plans to develop the world's tallest rollercoaster. (Red Huber / Orlando Sentinel)

Wallack is part of the family-owned real estate and development company, Wallack Holdings LLC. He and his father, David Wallack, are founders of the Mango’s Tropical Cafe brand, which has opened locations on I-Drive and Miami’s Ocean Drive.

Once built, Skyscraper will surpass the worlds current tallest rollercoaster: Kingda Ka in Jackson, New Jersey. It opened in 2005 and stands at 456 feet.

In Orlando, it will join other towering attractions directly across the street at Unicorp National Developments’ 20-acre ICON Park. The Wheel observation wheel attraction, for one, stands glowingly at about 400 feet, while its StarFlyer ride can whip passengers around at about 450 feet in the air when spinning on its axis.

Earlier this summer, the park introduced two new attractions that will also win record-breaking heights. The park is slated to open the world’s tallest free-standing drop tower, dubbed the Orlando Gyro Drop Tower in 2020 along with the worlds tallest slingshot attraction, the Orlando Slingshot, which will tower at 300 feet in height.

The Orlando Slingshot and the 400-foot Orlando Gyro Drop Tower are owned by the Slingshot Group of Companies. That same firm brought the StarFlyer attraction to ICON Park.

Wallack said the Orlando metropolitan area is the only region in the United States that the Skyplex entertainment complex belongs in.
    Advertisement

“It’s absolutely appropriate,” he said. "Look at how quickly I-Drive has changed in the past five years.... This is the long-game, like in Monopoly. At one point, you’re in the buying and mortgage phase and then later at some point you’re building hotels.

“We’re building something that’s never been done before. It’s special. We’re being very careful with what we’re doing.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Virtual Private Network??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Simon, i always use one to hide myself on line. I use Express VPN https://www.expressvpn.com/ but there are loads out there, Nord VPN is another good one. I download lots of TV shows off the internet using U-Torrent so it protects me. I can set it so it appears as almost any country in the World i want it to be so i can go about downloading TV shows like The Real Housewives of Orange County which i hasten to add i have never watched in my life but the wife seems to like them.

You'd be surprised how many film trailers or news stories you can't watch outside of the USA without a VPN and of course while i'm overseas i can also pick up any news stories on my laptop i might need. To be honest, i would not go on line now without a VPN.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"which will allow willing participants to walk along the tower’s exterior and lean out backwards while strapped to cords."

Willing Participants is not the adjective I would use but each to their own.

We have not been for a long time but I dont suppose the problem for the attractions on I drive has changed very much, its deserted during the day (better things to do) so there is only a short window of opportunity in the evening to make enough money and for a big (and therefore costly) attraction like this that may not be enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"which will allow willing participants to walk along the tower’s exterior and lean out backwards while strapped to cords."

Whilst those ‘unwilling’ will be able to walk the tower’s exterior and lean out backwards .......

Thread Information