Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gameday in Tuscaloosa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gameday in Tuscaloosa

There is nothing quite like a gameday in Tuscaloosa and i love everything about the day, all the pre game stuff, the game and then after having a meal and a beer still dressed in my Bama gear chatting to totally randomn people about the game and how comes a Brit comes all the way from London to support Alabama. It was to be a 2:30 kick off with a predicted temperature of around 100 degrees so plenty of warnings to stay hydrated. We parked about about 2 miles from the stadium but made sure we had a bottle of water each and hats as we made our way down to the quad. The quad before the game is where all the tailgating stuff goes on but also where the pregame rallys by the band and the cheerleaders happen, it really is something else to experience it once but having been through it a few times now i still love every minute. The heat certainly seemed to get a few people early as there was a couple of young girls at the Elephant stomp round us that both keeled over but we're quickly helped by medical people. We just caught the tail end of the team arriving and going up the walk of champions so headed in to the ground about 40minutes before kick off more to get out of the sun for a while. The seats i had got this time were pretty much perfect as they were low down close to pitch side, on an aisle and more importantly, it was the first area to get a bit of shade as the sun came round.

Elephant Stomp Pre game rally

Last edited by Superspur; 15-10-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once inside the stadium it was very easy to get something to eat and drink and i don't think i have ever drank so much soda in my life I actually took so many photos and videos it's pretty hard to narrow down to just a few and i'm sure fans of other teams aren't particularly interested in my Alabama photos and videos but i'm sure college games are pretty much the same the country over, just full of so much passion and a wonderful day out supporting your team.

Alabamas 4th quarter song which i love but the cheerleaders are pretty amazing in this. In England cheerleaders are often laughed at and belittled a little but these kids are incredible athletes in their own right and the hard work they put in never ceases to amaze me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Plenty of people left before the end of the game and those that stayed did so well in the incredible heat and it helps when Alabama put over 50 points on the board I had had a simply amazing day so far and as we took the long walk back to the car i wondered when i'd actually be able to get back for another game as the next 2 years seema a little full. Most of the restaurants even remotely close to the ground were long long waits so we drove a couple of miles to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner. The following day before we set off for Atlanta we went back down to the stadium to take a few photos in the peace and quite and then spend a ridiculous amount of money in the Alabama team store

One more video from gameday and probably my favourite moment of the whole day. the stadium was about half full with only around 5 minutes left but the sight and sound inside the ground sent shivers up my spine. We of course stayed until well after the final whistle and must have been one of the last out of the stadium.

The student houses around the campus are pretty stunning and some of the buildings are just so beautiful plus all seem to be adorned with Alabama flags

Once we finished in the team store we headed back down to Atlanta with a plan in mind for the morning. Our flight up to Boston was with Jet Blue at 1pm so if we left our hotel early, we could make it down to the Mercedes Benz stadium and visit the team store to get some bits for our son. I felt a little sad as we left Tuscaloosa as we'd had such an amazing time and i really didn't know when we'd be back, i knew it would be at least 3 years but those thoughts only lasted until we landed back in London and trying to figuire out a way to get back next October and the September after, i'll find a way. Next morning it worked like a dream. Managed to get parked up at the stadium and in to the team store and down to the airport with plenty of time to spare. The last stop on our mini trip was Boston for 3 days and the temperatures were going to be a lot cooler up there than they were down south with predicted temperatures in the mid 60s and a bit of rain forecast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a fantastic day! We absolutely love College Football and all the hoopla around it. We support OU (Oklahoma Sooners) and we've been to a game there. We had such a blast tailgating with complete strangers who made us feel like family and fed and watered us. We'd happily go to other teams' games if we found ourselves in the right place at the right time and it's our ambition to get to an ESPN College GameDay Live one day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A wonderful day, I am always amazed at how well the college teams are supported. The atmosphere must have been fantastic. Glad they won for you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Such a perfect day, and your enthusiasm really shines through! Game day is such a part of my childhood and teen years, and it's fascinating to see it through someone else's eyes. Tailgating became a "thing" in my lifetime, but even before that, the excitement and pageantry around game day was always a big deal. Just thinking about it, I can hear the band playing the fight song as Michigan State University marched into the stadium.

REALLY looking forward to your Boston reports! One of my favourite cities.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just a great trip report that really captures the excitement and pageantry of Game Day. There's absolutely nothing like it in sports worldwide and makes for a great experience if you can catch a game, with all the preliminary hoopla

PS: It's a shame the Falcons can't match the Tide for success this season!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Deb View Post
    it's our ambition to get to an ESPN College GameDay Live one day.

Deb i know you probably won't be interested but i have been 3 times and would be going again next year except we'll only just be back from Florida and i couldn't get the time off but they have Navy V Notre Dame kicking off the football season at the end of August next year https://collegefootballireland.com/. It is a cracking trip for a weekend in Dublin with the football on BUT College game day is going to be live from Dublin which makes it a double reason to go. I'd really love to go to this but i know i have zero chance of getting the weekend off after just having 3 weeks holiday in America.

https://collegefootballireland.com/e...ublin-ireland/

As i said i have had 3 of these weekends in Dublin for college games and with the fighting Irish on it is bound to be a brilliant weekend with the added bonus of College gameday.

They have already arranged the 2021 teams as well which will be Illinois V Nebraska but again i can't make that one as i'll be traveling around America.
    Last edited by Superspur; 15-10-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    Alabamas 4th quarter song which I love but the cheerleaders are pretty amazing in this. In England cheerleaders are often laughed at and belittled a little but these kids are incredible athletes in their own right and the hard work they put in never ceases to amaze me.
    I know what you mean from working with many cheerleaders here. They work really hard, but basically most do it as a form of keep fit, rather than their full-time jobs. It is always interesting to stand with the Crystals watching the NFL cheerleaders do their stuff at the London games, they are normally really keen to pick up tips.

That looks like a great game day experience, but it must have been really difficult for the players in those temperatures.

Glad you made it to the Falcon's store in the end. I'm sure you know, but the Spurs store now carries quite a lot of NFL merchandise at White Hart Lane.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love it SS, you obviously love the whole thing, and I can understand why. The whole game thing is just massive.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Thread Information