Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Topic: Boston, the final leg of the trip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Boston, the final leg of the trip

We had a good morning in Atlanta before we flew out as we were able to make the Falcons team store before our 1pm flight to Boston and it was a lovely hot morning but we knew the weather would be taking a dip when we reached Boston. We landed in Boston but the 3 days there started badly as we unfortunately got the cab driver from hell who also ripped us off. Boston operates a scheme a little like New York where you queue up for the cab and are then helped in to it by some kind of marshall, the difference is, the New York system they actually tell the cab driver the fixed cost where in Boston they don't. Having been to Boston last year we knew the cab should cost somewhere between $18-$25 but as we made our way through the tunnel under the bay the driver was talking away but we could not hear a word let alone understand what she was saying. She was cris-crossing through the tunnel then took to the outisde lane and said something to us which again we couldn't hear or understand but when we came up out of the tunnel it was alsmost a freeway through the centre of Boston road we were on. I was watching the meter climb up towards $30 and knew it was wrong and then all of a sudden i saw Fenway Park and i knew we were going to wrong way. I mentioned this to the wife and she must have heard me as she began speaking loudly in what sounded like african language and she was obviously agitated. She then did a U-Turn after we had gone past fenway and all of a sudden we were coming back past Fenway on the other side of the road, the meter was now climbing towards $40. By the time we stopped at our hotel, the Rever Hotel Boston common the meter had gone over $40 to $41 so we paid her the money (no tip) and proceeded to go and get the cases out of the boot. She opened the boot and just stood there and was again talking in african so we just grabbed the cases and went in to the hotel and left her. Later that evening i filled in a complaint on line but i never did hear a single thing back from them I took photos of the meter and also the cab number.

After checking in and after what happened with the cab i just wanted to go out and have a meal and a few drinks so we headed to a lovely Irish bar, The Black Rose, that does excellent food. It was a bit of a walk across Boston Comon but it was well worth it as later in the evening we both said we weren't going to let one little thing spoil the few days in Boston. The Black Rose does an awesome starter that is a sweet and spicy shrimp and after that i was already enjoying Boston. For the main i had a lobster roll with chips and there was so much Lobster in there it was all hanging out of the roll. I did take a photo but only after it was half eaten so it just looked a mess. They do a lovely Lobster roll at the Celebration town tavern but there must have been 3 times the amount of Lobster in the roll in Boston, it was amazing, expensive, but amazing. After dinner we headed back to the hotel to try out the roof top bar as the Revere has a fantatsic rooftop bar but we found out it was actually the last night it was open for the season the night we went.

The following morning we headed out to do something that we didn't do last time and that was the Boston Tea party ships and museum. We thought the cost was a little high at $30 per person but hoped it would be well worth it with all the history surrounding one of the most well know pieces of history, even in the UK. You start off by going in to a small room that reminded me a little of a small school classroom and everyone sits down (there were about 20 of us) and in comes a woman in 17th/18th century costume and she starts talking in the way people would have spoken back then, she seemed to be pretty much a guide/actress. After a short period of time a man comes in again dressed in costume and takes over and acts as though you are part of a meeting discussing the Boston Tea party which wasn't what i was expecting. There was lots of stamping of feet on the floor and banging of fists on tables shouting "Huzzah". After about 10-15 minutes of that you are then led out a door, down a gangplank by the young lady and handed over to another person in costume on one of the two ships. The ships are obviously replicas of the original ships and i would say small replicas at that as i couldn't see any way these tiny ships would have made it across the Atlantic. You're then given another talk on the Boston tea party and you get to look around one of the replica ships and then for the highlight of the tour, you get to throw tea in to Boaston Harbour Well not actually tea, they were some kind of soft foam bales attached to a rope so they could be pulled back on board for the next person to throw in. After around 10minutes looking around the ship you get brought off to await your entrance to the museum.

You have to wait to go in to the museum probably to allow the group in front to filter through as you don't get to spend any free time in there, you are guided through and you are told absolutely no photos or videos while inside. I actually wondered why that was but i was soon to find out.......... at a guess. The doors opened and we filtered in to a very small room where the prized exhibit was on show, an original box that held the tea that was thrown in to the harbour, or so they say. The second prized exhibit was a tiny tiny bottle with a brown liquid in that was some of the tea fished out from the harbour, allegedly. The 3rd exhibit was ............. oh hang on, there wasn't a third exhibit, that was it There were 2 paintings on the wall that started talking to each other for about 1 minute and we were then ushered through in to a small cinema like room where they played a film about 2minutes long and that was it, that was the museum. I was guessing the reason they didn't want you taking photos inside is because there was nothing to photograph . That was it, your then led in to a gift shop and a coffee shop and i have to say, the coffee shop was probably the highlight of the entire experience. The whole experience was dissapointing and at $30 a person an expensive dissapointment, it's definately a bit of a tourist trap and even at $20 i thought it would have been over priced but we've done it now so another thing ticked off the list in Boston.

After finishing there we headed off to the Globe bar which sounds a little odd for 2:30 in the afternoon to be heading in to a bar but back in London Spurs were playing Bayern Munich in the Champions League and i had already made contact with the Boston Spurs Supporters club and they told me every Spurs game is live at the Globe bar. We joined about another 50 Spurs fans in the bar at 3 in the afternoon watching the game on TVs all around the bar but it turned in to a lisht dissapointment which i'm used to as a Spurs fan. Actually Spurs got stuffed worse than a Xmas Turkey and lost 7-2 but it was good fun talking to some American Spurs fans who are as dedicated to Spurs as i am to Alabama. Now i needed cheering up so we headed to a lovely restaurant down by the bay, the Boston Sail Loft https://www.thebostonsailloft.com/ and if your ever in Boston it's a lovely place to have a meal.

Next morning the heat of the southern states was all forgotten as it was grey, chilly and rain was in the air but we still enjoyed our final day. We left the hotel and headed through Boston public garden which is a lovely park close to Boston common, if it wasn't so chilly and wet it would have been a lovely polace to just sit in, chill out and watch the world go by but we had decided to go up to Faneuil Hall which is on the Freedom trail. We had done the Freedom Trail last year so didn't want to do it again but Faneuil Hall is probably the best part of it. The top part of the museum wasn't open last year but it was this year so we wanted to have a look around. While we were in there one of the stores was selling Boston rain jackets that were quite thick and warm and at less than half price were too tempting to turn down in the current chilly and wet conditions

Following the Freedom Trail is easy, these bricks show the way to each step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was some kind of small protest going on outside Faneuil Hall when we got there which we later found out was a campaign to have the name changed. The hall itself has a massive amount of history attached to it not only around Boston but a number of Presidents have recorded events there. There are small little local craft shops inside on the ground floor which is where we got our much appreciated jackets from but the place itself is beautiful.

Dinner that evening was at the Hard Rock Cafe and an early night as we had a very early start in the morning. We used Boston's subway to head back to the airport, the "T" which isn't really a subway in a traditional sense like New York, it's more like an underground tram system and is often only 2 cars long but it does the job. Boston is a very walkable city but in the rain it's lovely to have. In an attempt to cheat jet lag we had decided to fly home on the early flight at 8:15am arriving back in London around 8:30pm. We were up early next morning and got a cab from outside the Revere hotel to Boston airport and the cab fare? $18 which was less than half the cost of the one that brought us to the hotel. We boarded the plane and settled ourselves in for the 6h 50m flight and i had just a slight concern as there was supposed to be a storm hitting the UK as we landed that was a hurricane as it left the states a few days previous. The Captain comes over the PA and gives us the usual talk and announces the flight time is around 5h 42m and adds that we are going to ride a very strong jet stream, the downside is we are going to hit some turbulance around 3 hours in to the flight. Three hours in to the flight the plane starts bouncing around like a Universal rollercoaster and the Captain announces the turbulance is a little heavier than expected but everything is fine as it is normal clear air turbulance but if the cabin crew were strapped in we knew it was rough. I was watching a video on my laptop and was fine but the wife felt a little queesy but it eased off after about an hour as we closed in on the Irish coast. The last hour or so was amazing as the sun started to set giving a beautiful view out of the window and as we flew in over London it was crystal clear and again a fantastic view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a terrific report! I so enjoyed your photos. Boston is one of my favourite cities, and it was nice to see it in your pictures, in spite of the weather.

I was sorry to read the museum and ships weren't as good as expected. No excuse for that, since Boston knows how to do tourism so well. What a shame. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your time there, though.

Great pics over London. I'll never, ever forget my first sight of the English coast the first time I came to the UK. My heart was racing at the thought of being so far from home, and in a place I knew from history lessons. Just stunning!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Boston is on my Bucket list. Shame the weather wasn't good although you made the best of it. Also not good to get ripped off by the taxi driver, so hate that when it happens. Something should have been done about her especially as you reported it.
    Flight back seemed like it was a little hairy but the times were good.
    Thanks for sharing your trip. Sorry to hear about Spurs. I'm a West Ham fan myself but a few of my family are Spurs fans and can appreciate how you are feeling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a couple of disappointments, the taxi and the ship museum, still I guess we live and learn!

Boston looks a fascinating place and has quite an English feel.

I presume the name change demo at Faneuil Hall is due to the slave trade connection?

Great photos of London, the sights from an airplane are, for me, one of the fascinations of flying.

Finally, thanks for posting another of your great trips.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Loved the report, and it sounds like you made the most of every experience (even the not-quite-so-good ones!). Boston is definitely a city that is enjoyable just to wander, and, to my mind, it is much more enjoyably than NY from that aspect.

PS: I also had to buy a coat on my first visit, in Jan 2001. I went to the Patriots playoff game against Oakland, which was played in a snowstorm and at -4C!! Needless to say, I wasn't dressed for it when I arrived, but a quick trip to the bargain world of Filene's Basement (now, sadly closed) meant I had proper winter attire for a VERY good price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boston is a lovely city and definately easier to wander than New York and Boston is a very walkable city. The only time we have used their subway was when we got too tired after dinner or if the weather was a bit yuk, other than that it is lovely just wandering around. The downside to Boston is once you have been once or twice you've kind of done it where as New York i could go there a 100 times and still want to go back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great report, thanks so much for posting.

Shame about the rip off cab driver, you just hope that somewhere someone will eventually do something with your report.

Those ships probably are life-size, they really weren't very big back then. I enjoyed my afternoon in Boston way back when and would happily return.

Got to love a clear run into Heathrow over central London.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Thread Information