Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7

Topic: EasyJet Buys Thomas Cook Slots at Gatwick and Bristol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EasyJet Buys Thomas Cook Slots at Gatwick and Bristol

This is an interesting development (although it could well be just for European flights), but EasyJet has just bought a bunch of Thomas Cook's flight slots at both Gatwick and Bristol. I doubt this will impact the Florida market at all, but you never know:

Published on Friday, November 8, 2019
    EasyJet buys Thomas Cook flight slots at Gatwick and Bristol

EasyJet has paid 36 million for all of Thomas Cook's take-off and landing slots at Gatwick and Bristol airports.

The airline has acquired 27 slot pairs in total, consisting of 12 summer and eight winter slot pairs at Gatwick as well as six summer slot pairs and one winter at Bristol. The slots became available following the collapse of Thomas Cook in September.

EasyJet beat off competition from British Airways, Wizz Air and Virgin for the Gatwick slots and is now able to significantly expand its operation. More details of its future expansion plans for the slots will be revealed on November 19 when easyJet releases its full-year results.

The low-cost carrier added contractual terms over the new slots have been concluded with Thomas Cook's liquidators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they find they have too many they could sell them on I suppose?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I doubt they would sell them on as they're just too valuable, especially at Gatwick. And who knows, EasyJet may have long-haul plans!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Our friends are desparately hoping someone picks up the Gatwick-Cayo Coco (Cuba) route that Thomas Cook had. They ended up flying to Toronto from Heathrow, then down to the Cayos in October which increased the journey time considerably. They are hoping to return in April so fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    I doubt they would sell them on as they're just too valuable, especially at Gatwick. And who knows, EasyJet may have long-haul plans!
    None that they are sharing with their staff that's for sure.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LOL, spencem! I definitely wouldn't rule it out, though. When talking to the Sanford airport people recently, they weren't too despondent at losing TUI (although, obviously, it's a blow), as they mentioned the possibility of another airline (Norwegian? EasyJet? Ryanair?) coming in in the future.

Thread Information