Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How To Get A Boarding Group for Rise of the Resistance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How To Get A Boarding Group for Rise of the Resistance

OK, after several people pointed out that our recent FB post about RotR was very helpful in deciphering this complex system for getting a boarding group for the ride, I decided it was worth posting the link here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9356690&type=3

This is NOT a foolproof method, but it does show the step-by-step process that SHOULD get you a boarding group, which is the ONLY way to get to ride it at the moment. This will almost certainly change in the near future, but no-one can say when, hence this is the info you need to know for now.

Feel free to post any further queries if anything is not clear, as this is DEFINITELY not an easy concept to grasp, or execute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is fairly simple,
    1 Get to the car park an hour ahead of the advertised opening time.
    2. Don't get stressed about how long security takes.
    3. Don't get stressed about how long it takes to get in the park.
    4. Have your phone open and be logged into MDE just before official opening.
    5. If there is more than one of you have half the people logged into the park wifi and the other half have wifi turned off.
    6. At exactly park opening everyone in your group start refreshing the page for boarding groups.
    7. The first one of you to have the button go solid shout, everyone else stop refreshing.
    8. That person select all of you and join the group.
    9. Unless you are in a boarding group lower than 20 leave the park and get some breakfast at a Skyliner resort.
    10. Once you get the notification go back to the park and enjoy the amazing ride.

See, simple
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it really is that simple if you keep your wits about you (and familiarise yourself with the app well beforehand).

I would be tempted to see what the early-morning crowd for Millennium Falcon is before heading out for breakfast. Having been there really early, we were able to ride it pretty much straight away. We were also able to just walk in to Oga's Cantina after doing the ride in our case (but it's food selection is pretty limited if you want a substantial breakfast). We also waited until last thing in the evening to do Slinky Dog in Toy Story Land, with the wait down to 30 mins. For the rest of the day it was at 2hrs (or longer!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know ROTR doesn't currently run during the evening but presumably, Galaxy's Edge is open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes! Everything is open, and it could be argued you need to see the land after dark as well as during the day.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A couple of observations from the Facebook link which is excellent by the way, firstly, i wouldn't imagine there are too many children dragged out of bed to get to Hollywood Studios for 5 or 6am so families may have to send one person ahead of the rest to grab a boarding group, is that realistic?

Secondly, with the current opening time of 7am or 8am it may be mostly die hard Star Wars fans and of course dedicated media personel who get out of bed so early to grab a slot but come the summer months with even bigger crowds and a 9am opening time it may be that people will still be getting to the park very early but possibly 2 hours before it opens.

I am hoping this changes by the time we reach Orlando in mid July as i don't think this is realistic for us as a family group, as there will be 7 of us which includes a 7 year old and a 5 year old, to be able to do this. I remember when the 7 dwarfs mine train opened we couldn't get near a fastpass for it and the queues when we got there were always around 2 hours long but with the park open until midnight we were able to grab a more realistic slot of 30minutes very close to the midnight cut off but looking at park hours when we're over the latest we have got HS is 9pm and the latest MK is open is 10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Superspur. All your party have to actually be in the park, so no, one person can't go ahead and get a boarding group.
    We were with Spencem and there were lots of kids in the queue to get into the park by 6.30 when they allowed you to tap and fingerprint in and walk towards whichever area you were heading too.
    It also wasn't all die hard fans (we aren't) or media types just regular park goers excited to see what it was all about.
    Also as will be revealed later in Spencem trip report, there is no plans to change things and in a low period (January) the park hours changed to a 7am opening. Will be interesting to see what happens at Easter but I wouldn't be surprised to see 7am or even 6am opening times.
    Even I was blown away by the experience as to my mind it is an experience rather than a ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    I am hoping this changes by the time we reach Orlando in mid July as i don't think this is realistic for us as a family group, as there will be 7 of us which includes a 7 year old and a 5 year old, to be able to do this. I remember when the 7 dwarfs mine train opened we couldn't get near a fastpass for it and the queues when we got there were always around 2 hours long but with the park open until midnight we were able to grab a more realistic slot of 30minutes very close to the midnight cut off but looking at park hours when we're over the latest we have got HS is 9pm and the latest MK is open is 10pm.
    It definitely makes it tough for families with youngsters, SS (albeit, it's probably harder to get teenagers out of bed early on holiday!!). We will be watching the opening (and closing) hours very closely over the Easter period to try to judge what that means for summer but, realistically, it's hard to see the opening hours changing much from what they are now. They DO currently show as 9am for the latter half of March, but we have seen Disney change hours at short notice before. Definitely one to keep an eye on, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just wanted to "second" what SK said, including it not just being Star Wars fans who get up early. It's definitely a wide range of tourists. We just rode the Skyliner from Epcot to HS a few days ago and got to talking to the man in the gondola with us. He was around 60 years old, and he and his wife were visiting from California. He was heading to his boarding time while she stayed in Epcot. So...single man, 60 years old, no kids, who got up by himself (while his wife slept cozily in bed) to get a boarding time.

I think it's DISNEY fans more than just Star Wars fans.

I do think the boarding procedure WILL change, and my GUESS is it will happen for summer. But that's a guess based on nothing.

[ETA:] Here's my thinking on that: I think a LOT of people booked their summer holiday at WDW so that they can see the entire Galaxy's Edge land, with everything open, and if they don't even stand a chance of being able to ride Rise, there are going to be hoards of angry guests. I think (and it's only a guess) guests will be more tuned in to tolerating a massive wait for the ride that at least gives them the chance of riding. To me, the boarding pass thing cuts too many people out of even having a chance to ride, and I think THAT would be a PR nightmare.
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 15-02-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the park was open until much later at night then it would make sense for them to release another batch of boarding groups mid-afternoon but for some reason Disney think people like getting up stupidly early rather than staying up very late. There is also the issue of the ride needing lots of maintenance and tweaks overnight, but hopefully that will improve as time goes on and it'll become more reliable in general.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Thread Information