Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Topic: Rome-Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and St Peters Square

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rome-Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and St Peters Square

After leaving the Pizza Navona we headed off towards the Trevi Fountain and supposidly one of the most famous fountains in the world that has appeared in a number of films. After walking through a few back streets it just appeared and it was very surprising that such a famous, amazing structure is located in an area surropunded by small tiny backstreets. I can honestly say that the photos and any videos just don't do it justice, it is an amazing piece of architecture and just so beautiful. It dates back to the Baroque era in the 1700s and was finished in 1762, although it has had one refurbishment in 1988 and had a years restoration work in 2014.

We headed back towards our appt and went via the Spanish steps. The Spanish steps date back again to the 17th century although the "Longboat" at the foot of the steps dates back even further in to the 16th Century. In one corner of the piazza is a museum dedicated to the English poet John Keats who lived there in the 18th century.

After a quick change at the hotel we headed out to our restaurant which came recommended but we were told to get there early or we could wait an hour for a table. The Restaurant Maccheronni was a beautiful intimate Roman restaurant with the most amazing food, the recommendatioins don't do it justice but sorry, no photos I was too busy enjoying the evening. After dinner we were just going to pop in to a bar but decided to head down to St Peters Square. The foillowing day was going to be the Vatican but we had a few more bits to fit in so if we could cross off the square tonight it was one less thing for tomorrow. I felt full after the meal so we decided no walking and jumped on the Metro down to the Vatican and St Peters Square.

St Peters Square is a square in front of St Peters Basilica in Vatican city and is named after one of Jesus Deciples Peter who is considered by many as the first Pope. We arrived in darkness but it was lit up by a giant Xmas tree which was surprising as it was now the 8th January and in the Catholic religon the 12th day after Xmas (6th) is known as Little Xmas and all decorations are normally taken down by then. We then got very lucky as they were closing the queue for the Basillica and we were one of the last ones in the queue even though there was no queue as such, there were about 50 people in front of us. During the summer months the queues to get in can be hours long. The basillica itself was like nothing i have ever seen before and you just didn't know where to look or what to photograph, it was vast and the architecture was stunning. We spent nearly 2 hours inside before it closed and we were kicked out such was the amount of things to see. Me and my wife both lit candles for our family as we normally do when we go in to churches. Security for the Vatican is by the Swiss Guards and you can see them dotted around various locations.

So after a much later finish than we expected we headed back on the Metro and back to the appartment for the night, tomorrow was a visit to the Vatican itself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow, amazing buildings and not so busy that you were able to walk around easily. You got to see a lot in a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fascinating day SS.

It never ceases to amaze me how these historic buildings were actually built, especially when you consider the tools they would have had. The skill of the workers is extraordinary.

Love the photo of the Swiss Guard, he seems to have his eyes on you!!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a great afternoon and evening, you've got some fantastic memories.

The Vatican looks amazing, but I can't help thinking how much good the church could have done with the money it must have cost to build all of that.
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.
    All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After walking through a few back streets it just appeared and it was very surprising that such a famous, amazing structure is located in an area surrounded by small tiny backstreets. I can honestly say that the photos and any videos just don't do it justice, it is an amazing piece of architecture and just so beautiful.
    This is just how I felt when I turned the corner in London and there stood Big Ben tower. Simon planned the 'reveal' perfectly.

I love the history you've given with the fountain and the area. Fascinating.

Your St. Peter Square photos are fabulous. I guess I always knew the Vatican would look like it has all the wealth in the world, but I was still surprised by the photos. Looks like the Jedi Temple, but with a whole lot more gold.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It definitely looks like something out of a movie, something too over-powering to be real. And the opulence inside the Basilica, especially for the period it was built, is simply off the charts. Beyond stunning.

Thread Information