Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21

Topic: Majority of holidaymakers 'will travel without insurance' due to Covid-19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Majority of holidaymakers 'will travel without insurance' due to Covid-19

Also from Travel Mole. This is going to be a thorny subject (and potentially very risky) going forward.

Majority of holidaymakers 'will travel without insurance' due to Covid-19

Three-quarters of holidaymakers won't buy travel insurance unless it includes cover for Covid-19-related cancellations and disruption, according to a recent survey.

Tommy Lloyd, MD of travel insurance comparison site Medical Travel Compared (MTC) said this could mean that many people will run the risk of travelling uninsured once the restrictions on overseas holidays are lifted.

Of the 40-plus travel insurance providers MTC usually works with, only nine are currently listed on its site as the others have all withdrawn their travel policies or have withdrawn medical cover for Covid-19. However, even those that include medical cover for Covid-19, aren't providing cover for Covid-19 travel disruption, including cancellations, he said.

MTC's survey of more than 3,000 people found that 10% have lost all or some of the cost of a holiday due to Covid-19 and four in five expect travel insurers to cover cancellation of a holiday for any reason due to the virus and three-quarters said they wouldn't buy insurance if such cover wasn't included.

"We were not surprised that 75 per cent of Brits claim they won't take out travel insurance if COVID-19 cancellations are not covered and that a third will be looking for specific COVID-19 cover in the future," said Lloyd.

"We have all come to the realisation that coronavirus is a virus that we have to live and work alongside now and into the future, which is why we are working with our providers to find solutions and provide policies or add on services that offer travellers the protection that they are seeking - otherwise there's a real concern that a lot of people may travel without any insurance."

Lloyd said that since Covid-19 is now a known risk, no travel insurer will provide cover for cancellation or disruption caused by the virus, but he said it was crucial that travellers had medical cover for Covid-19.

Lloyd said a third of the population has a pre-existing medical condition and need insurance for extra peace of mind. "It is something we are keen to help our panel of insurance providers deliver once FCO advice changes about international travel - it is also important to note that it is relevant for UK travel as well. We ask that all providers come together to find solutions to provide travellers with the cover that they are entitled to."

Meanwhile, Staysure has become the latest travel insurer to cover Covid-19 related medical issues in its policies. The cover, which comes at no extra cost, will be added to new and existing policies and will cover emergency medical bills and well as repatriation costs for any trips to countries deemed by the British Government to be safe to visit.

Staysure group CEO and founder Ryan Howsam said: "We need to look at all our options at this time of coronavirus and keep moving ahead. The Coronavirus will be with us for some time and so we needed to put this into place as soon as possible."
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People would be absolutely crazy to travel without insurance but i'm sure there will be quite a few who will do so. Personally i just don't understand why you would travel without it, i certainly would never take the chance especially with my health stuff. I get a free policy through my bank but have to pay a LOT to cover me for travel as i declare all my stuff. It just isn't worth taking the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Covid-19 should certainly be covered on every insurance policy (it probably will, once there's a vaccine), but until that time I'm not sure I understand why anyone would travel with NO insurance. If you're going to travel, why wouldn't you cover everything that CAN be covered? COVID-19 isn't the only health concern out there. People still have heart attacks, people still break bones, people still end up in the ER with heat stroke.

I can understand the anger and frustration over COVID-19 not being covered, but health insurance is so much more than that.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought that as well Susan.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely ditto what she said. If you travel (especially long distance and ESPECIALLY to the US where uninsured health care is ridiculously expensive) without travel insurance, you are an idiot, pure and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Totally agree, if you can't get insurance to cover one thing then get it to cover everything else.

I'll always remember reading the account on another forum of a little kid who passed out on a ride in Disney. They called first aid, who didn't like the look of him and called paramedics, who didn't like the look of him and took them to Celebration hospital. The next thing the family knew a helicopter was landing to take them to Miami Children's Hospital. The kid had a previously unknown heart condition that required immediate surgery. Some weeks later they had an air ambulance flight back to the UK for ongoing treatment. Total cost? $1,100,000, all covered by their insurance.
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.
    All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the contra to spencem's anecdote was a family from Liverpool where the matriarch thought the insurance was too expensive, despite having health issues, traveled uncovered and suffered a heart attack. Total cost of treatment in excess of 250,000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got an email from StaySure earlier which said

With so many companies stopping sales of travel insurance, you could be forgiven for thinking all policies are equal. However, theres a good reason why Staysure were voted The UKs Best Travel Insurance Provider the last four years in a row at the British Travel Awards!
    Get cover against COVID-19 when abroad
    Unfortunately, like other insurers, we cant cover claims related to COVID-19 before you travel or if you are positively diagnosed before you leave home. However, we think our cover is an excellent solution to fears about being ill due to COVID-19 when travelling.^
    3 months FREE cover with our annual multi-trip policies
    According to our recent survey, 84% of you think rising insurance prices are a concern. So why not take advantage of our 15 months for the price of 12 special offer on Annual Multi-Trip policies. Pay for 12 months cover and we give you an extra 3 months FREE.

Quite likely the best offer at the moment, so a key task is to ensure that any holiday or elements of a holiday are cancellable for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very good to see, TF, thanks for pointing that out.

And the examples you and spencem highlight above are absolutely essential to all and any holiday planning. You simply can't overlook insurance for run-of-the-mill things that can spiral out of control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The other thing (teaching Grandma to suck eggs time) is to declare any known health issues.

In 1991 my son got a touch of bronchitis and we needed the doctor. Fortunately we had declared his MD as when we claimed the first part of the conversation was "I see that your son has MD, so your covered".

Thread Information