Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Topic: Gullivers Land Vs Legoland WindsorTheme parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gullivers Land Vs Legoland WindsorTheme parks

As we have been unable to get to Florida, we're using our 3 weeks leave for days out with the grandkids here in the UK and have had some great days so far by the coast but we're also been to two Theme parks and it's interesting to see how they are coping with Covid 19. On the outside they seem to be doing similar things but the reality is they are doing things very differently. Gullivers is a smaller theme park aimed primarily at 3-10 year olds while Legoland caters for 3-adult. Both are currently pre booked tickets only and are running at reduced capacity and enforcing social distancing and hand sanitiser everywhere, or so they say. Firstly parking. When you go in to Gullivers there is no social distancing in the parking but as you go in to Legoland everywhere there are big signs stating leave the space next to you clear. The reality is, it is not enforced so you may park as the signs tell you but then in come the idiots who think it is their right to park as close to the park entrance as they can and will fit in any vacant space, the social distancing in the car park is not enforced in anyway.

On to the entry. Both had people outside taking your temperature before you went in and while Gullivers also had people outside directing the queue, Legoland didn't so already we saw an absolute lack of social distancing. People were right up peoples backsides eager to get to the front of the queue and in to the park. It was also clear by now that while Gullivers was operating as they say a limited capacity, Legoland clearly didn't appear to have capped their capacity despite saying they were, and once inside that proved to be correct. On every ride Gullivers was operating a policy of wiping down a ride after every run while Legoland didn't seem to be wiping down anything although it appears they stopped a ride once during the day for a deep clean but on say the log flume, Gullivers was leaving every second or third boat empty while Legoland was filling every boat with one family group. Although there were markings on the floor for social distancing at both parks, Gullivers seemed much more interested in trying to enforce it while Legoland had no social distancing at all. Ride queue times at Gullivers seemed to be around 20minutes with the big park reduced capacity while Legoland had queues of 60minutes for most rides while some queue times were 80-90 minutes. That to me is a normal day at Legoland and there didn't seem to be any reduced capacity inside with the level of crowds.

Masks. At Gullivers, everyone on a ride had to wear a mask, at Legoland there were only a few rides you had to wear a mask on and most of the rides you didn't need to wear a mask.

The main restaurant in each park also had different systems in place to order food an sit down. At Gullivers they took your order at the door and sent it through and then sat you down at a table number and then one person went and collected the food and a number of tables were taped off. At Legoland they held you at the door until the queue died down a little then you were sent in to order your food from the counter and find your own table, no tables were taped off, you sat where you wanted.

All in all we had 2 great days out although we couldn't get half of what we wanted to get done at Legoland because of the queues but it was still a great family day out while Gullivers with it's obviously reduced queues was also a great day out but if i was seriously worried about Covid, social distancing and cleanliness i would have been much more worried by Legoland than Gullivers. Personally i don't think either park has got it perfectly right but Gullivers seem to have it more right than Legoland does. Maybe thats becuase of the size of the parks we're dealing with i'm not sure. We're not going to Thorpe Park or Alton Towers so it's hard to judge based on size of park but Gullivers may be smaller but they seem to be handling it a lot better than Legoland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice report, Superspur, thanks for posting. really interesting to hear about the differences between the two, and rather worrying from the Legoland perspective. As a potential customer, that would definitely make me think twice (or more!) about visiting there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great post SS and very interesting to read. So we are doing the same thing, but differently!!

Some of the issues would dissipate if attendees played by the rules. You can see a similar thing in the shops. Human nature I guess?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's only human nature if it's allowed to be. Employ more people, collect fines and pay the new employees with the fines!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I'd have had to guess which park was which I'd have thought LegoLand would have been more on the ball than Guillivers, disappointing that the larger company is doing so much less. It does sound like LegoLab=nd has reduced capacity quite a lot, their normal queues are around 2 hours per ride if you don't buy their Quick Queue, more like three in peak season.
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.
    All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A fascinating look at the two parks. Thank you for this, Superspur!

When Legoland Florida initially said they would "recommend" wearing a mask but not require it, that was the end of it for me. They now "require" masks for anyone 8 and above, while all the other parks require them for ages 3 and up. I find that worrisome.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know i said i felt Gullivers was going a little overboard with everything Susan but the park certainly felt safer than Legoland. Being the same company i'd love to go see how Thorpe Park and Alton Towers are doing things but sadly our 3 weeks leave ends tomorrow and it's back to work Sunday just as the temperaturs hit the 90s

Thread Information