Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12

Topic: US officials pushing for transatlantic travel corridor to UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US officials pushing for transatlantic travel corridor to UK

This is an interesting development, as reported by TravelMole.

US officials pushing for transatlantic travel corridor to UK

US officials are pushing hard for a transatlantic travel corridor to and from the UK.

Representatives from the US Transportation Department and the Department of Homeland Security are talking to UK counterparts to set up a travel bubble.

There are also negotiations taking place about shortening the current 14-day quarantine period for inbound US travelers, the Wall Street Journal reports.

A transatlantic corridor was first mooted several weeks ago.

A Homeland Security official said the US is targeting a travel corridor beginning before the busy Thanksgiving holiday.

Talks on 'safely encouraging transatlantic travel while mitigating public-health risks' are still ongoing, a DHS official said.

It will likely require the implementation of a pre-travel testing program before any agreement is reached.

Talks have focused on testing before departure and again upon arrival.

"A testing framework that ensures rapid, accurate, affordable and scalable testing should eliminate the need for mandatory quarantines upon arrival and speed the global recovery of commercial air travel," trade group Airlines for America said.

It wouldn't impact the current ban on Americans traveling to the EU, although US officials have reportedly been in discussions with Germany.

UK residents are currently prohibited from entering the US.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've heard that there will be a move to set up a London-New York 'travel corridor' by December, and that it will be the forerunner to other routes re-opening. Thanksgiving is on November 26 this year, so that timing seems about right.

Mind you, with both the UK and US seeing their virus numbers going back up at the moment, you do wonder if this is just bad timing. It's hard to reconcile increasing Covid cases with greater international travel. The head health spokesperson for the US, Dr Fauci, has also gone on the record today saying he doesn't think people should be travelling for Thanksgiving this year. Talk about mixed messages...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've all but given up on travel anytime soon. We lost our short break to Somerset 2 weeks ago as everything was going to be shut up there, we've lot our trip to Milan next week and it's almost certain we will lose our trip to the Canaries in December. I think we can also kiss goodbye to Iceland in January and the canaries again in March and we're desperately clinging on to hope for America next May but our daughter has had her flight cancelled to Japan for next March already.

Unless we get the vaccine and start rolling it out, which will probably take a year, i can see winter travel being non existant because the virus is blowing up and a small window for travel during the summer where the virus has gone down. To be honest, as it gets colder and the nights close in i'm actually getting very down. I normally have my football, an evening out with my wife, the theatre or a short trip to the Canarian sun to get me through the cold winter nights but right now i can't do anything other than work and sleep.

I'm a summer person, i love the heat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It is horrible isn't it SS, all our friends and family live in Ess ex and we live in Suffolk. They have been put into the high tier which means they can't visit us and we can't visit any of them now. Also our son and his partner live in Leeds and they were going to visit us during half term as partner works in a school. They now can't visit us either...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It really is horrible right now but there are many thousands of people worse off than me having loved ones sick or losing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is one of the few things we hold on to, Superspur. There is now a distinct low-grade depression around everything to do with the pandemic and it is hard to escape that all-pervading gloom. But it is SO important that we stick to our guns and see it through this winter. Following the guidelines for avoiding contact and keeping social distancing is the only way we can keep things manageable, and we simply have to keep things under control as much as possible, for the sake of our health service workers if nothing else. They have now been on the front lines for almost 8 straight months and they must be feeling like this is a never-ending battle they can't win. But we have to avoid the hospitals getting overwhelmed again and this WILL, eventually, pass.

Thread Information