Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8

Topic: UK-EU Flights to be Grounded For No-Deal Brexit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK-EU Flights to be Grounded For No-Deal Brexit?

This TravelMole story comes from the online ABTA Convention this week, and seems to suggest there is still no UK-EU agreement over flights to the continent post-Brexit. The possibility still seems to be that, if there is a No-Deal Brexit, there would be no fights allowed, technically, between Britain and EU countries. It's hard to believe that would be the case but, these days, anything seems possible.

Here's the story: https://www.travelmole.com/news_feat...ews_id=2044681

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember this being discussed during the build up to the Referendum. If I remember correctly there was a view (which seemed to be accepted) that if the EU played hard ball then no EU flights would be allowed into or through British airspace and almost all trans-Atlantic flights would be grounded.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it's hard to see how this would benefit anyone, so you have to think it WILL be sorted out in advance. But, once again, you're left thinking, "Really? Were there no grown-ups in the rooms when this was discussed?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Throughout the negotiations I have been impressed (not) by Barnier, whose entire negotiating technique is "non"! He really needs to go on a negotiating course!

The press and other sources are suggesting Boris is about to pull the plug and walk away.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boris has always wanted a No deal, that has been obvious since before the last election. The biggest political idiot on the planet apart from Trump. Boris lied during the referendum, he lied after the referendum, he lied during the election and he's still lying now. The only thing Boris is interested in is himself, that has been clear since his time as Mayor of London. He got lucky at the last election as the choice was between a buffoon and a terrorist sympathiser, neither of them deserve to be anywhere near politics or running a country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sadly, I think you may be right, Superspur. I don't think Boris has a clue about proper negotiations and, for all the fact the EU team has been intransigent in their stance, it's because they are holding the position that was originally agreed by both sides, and Boris seems to think he can keep changing the goalposts (and breaking international law). It's a terrible situation that our leaders are so self-centred at a time when we urgently need them to be broad-minded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I disagree with some of that view. The EU set out its stall early on by stating that they wanted control over certain aspects of what the UK could do, for example state investment. Bear in mind that the state investment rules in the EU are broken regularly by France and Germany, especially in the manufacturing area. The UK should have set up a negotiating team of business men because the politicians (on both sides) where never going to agree. In business a negotiation is about arriving at a mutual agreement, in politics it is about who has the biggest balls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics used to be about arriving at a mutual agreement, IMHO, but it has become just another bully battleground in recent years. This IS about business, and if the two sides can't agree, they seem to lose all perspective. I respectfully disagree to a certain extent, TF, as I think Boris has no real idea of what a 'negotiation' is. He was the one who insisted that "There is no plan for No Deal because we are going to get a great deal." Without ever having the tools for getting a deal. The EU has played hardball, but they weren't the ones trying to blow things up. That's been Boris's position and now he is faced with the consequences of his lack of proper negotiations. Sadly, everybody loses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To go back to the original point, as I've posted many times the ability for any country's registered aircraft and crews to fly anywhere depends on the other country recognising their standards and the enforcement of those standards. For instance, once it became known recently that you could get a pilot's license in Pakistan by either paying the right 'fee' or having a mate in the right office the rest of the world very quickly banned any registered Pakistani pilot or airline from flying into their country.

The issue between the UK and the EU is that the UK government still hasn't decided what our standards are, so as you can imagine it is quite tricky for anyone else to decide if they are good enough.
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.
    All my trip reports are now HERE.

Thread Information