Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Topic: Disney's Magical Express shutting down next year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Disney's Magical Express shutting down next year

People may already be aware of this, but a report from today's TravelMole.

The reference to the rail link sounds a bit premature? Has the route even been agreed yet?

Disney's Magical Express shutting down next year

Walt Disney World is closing down the Magical Express transportation service from 2022.

The bus service which links Orlando International Airport with resort hotels will cease operating from 1 January, 2022, but is available for existing reservations throughout 2021.

"Vacationers have more options to choose from than ever for transportation, including ride-share services that save time and offer more flexibility to go where they want, when they want," Disney said on is parks blog site.

"In light of this shift, when Disney Resort hotel bookings open for stays in 2022, we will no longer offer Disney's Magical Express service for airport transportation."

The service is operated by Orlando based Mears Transportation which will still separately offer options from the airport to theme parks and hotels.

The obvious option to take over Magical Express is the upcoming Brightline rail connection to WDW.

Florida's high-speed train service is being extended to Orlando Airport in 2022.

From there, an extension will be built to Disney Springs which is expected to open by 2023.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If there is a rail extension from Orlando Airport to Disney by 2023 I will eat my titfer!! It might START construction in 2023, but it's going to take at least 2-3 years to complete and, as TF points out, there isn't even planning permission yet! This is real pie-in-the-sky speculation, and the bottom line is that transport from the airport to Disney will revert back to hire cars, taxis, shuttles, coaches and Uber/Lyft for the foreseeable future once DME shuts down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could someone remind me what the benefits of staying onsite are again?

No ME, no Extra Magic Hours, no free parking, doubts about the return of FastPass, what do you get for your hundreds of dollars more a night than the other area hotels?
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.
    All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is a very good question, TF. There WILL be a kind of EMH in future (half an hour before regular opening at all 4 parks), but the strong incentives to stay onsite are definitely being eroded. It does remain true, though, that resorts like Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian Resort all offer a style that isn't equalled outside WDW, but it is going to become harder to justify the big difference in price, unless Disney also lowers theirs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Compare the size of a room at the Polly for the sort of room you can get at one of the high-end partner resorts for the same or less money. I saw a vlog last week comparing a $700 a night simple room at Bay Lake Tower to a $500 a night 3 room suite at the Golden Oak Hilton.
    Disney is going to have to do something if they want to keep their resorts full.
    Last edited by spencem; 21-01-2021 at 04:29 PM.
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you feel a price war coming in the near future...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's hope so Simon.

Thread Information