Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vaccine certification 'right way to have safe travel', says Matt Hancock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Vaccine certification 'right way to have safe travel', says Matt Hancock

Maybe the light of reality is dawning? This report today from TravelMole.

And on this note I'm pleased to say Mrs TF had her first jab on Saturday and I've got mine this coming Saturday.

Vaccine certification 'right way to have safe travel', says Matt Hancock

The idea of vaccine passports or certificates to allow Brits to travel overseas is back on the table again as the Health Secretary confirmed discussions are taking place on how they could work.

Mr Matt Hancock said this morning said the Government is working with countries around the world on 'how that vaccine certification can happen in a way that can be assured'.

Speaking on Sky News, Mr Hancock said: "There are some countries around the world considering bringing in rules saying you can only travel if you've been vaccinated. These aren't in place yet but there are countries that are actively floating this idea and proposing it. And it that case it would be important for people from the UK to be able to show whether or not they've been vaccinated in order to travel."

He said the vaccine certificate needs to happen in such a way that countries are confident that people 'who say they've had a vaccine have actually had it', but [vaccine certification] was 'obviously a very important piece of work'.

"We want Brits to be able to travel to those countries and therefore be able to demonstrate their vaccine status," he said.

"And so that vaccine certification is something we are talking to our international counterparts about and there are people who are arguing that is the right way to have safe global travel again because that's very restricted at the moment and that's obviously a very important piece of work."

His comments are the strongest signal yet that some sort of vaccination certification is likely to be introduced to get the British public travelling and were echoed on Sunday by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, saying that vaccine passports were being discussed.

Responding to a question on the BBC's Andrew Marr Programme yesterday about the introduction of international travel passports to get travel moving again, Mr Raab said: "We discuss these things but the reality is you need to have a workable system…that countries around the world can rely on."

And a little later on Valentine's Day, speaking on LBC radio's Swarbrick on Sunday show, the Foreign Secretary said the Government is "considering" Covid vaccine passports for both domestic and international travel.

Mr Raab told LBC the modalities and mechanisms for reopening the country still "need to be worked out" but that ministers are considering the introduction of domestic Covid passports.

"Whether it's at an international, domestic or local level, you've got to know that the document being presented is something that you can rely on and that it's an accurate reflection of the status of the individual.

"I'm not sure there's a foolproof answer in the way that it's sometimes presented but of course we'll look at all the options," he said.

However, a government spokesperson later told LBC: "There are no plans to introduce immunity passports for use domestically."

Both Mr Hancock and Mr Raab's comments come in stark contrast to those of Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi who only a week ago said the Government had no plans to introduce vaccine passports, claiming they would be 'discriminatory'.

A Covid vaccine passport would effectively require travellers to show their vaccine passport in order to move internationally and within Britain's borders.

Meanwhile Brittany Ferries has called for the adoption of 'vaccination-led travel corridors' to allow holidays to go ahead this summer.

CEO Christophe Mathieu said: "Vaccine roll-out is moving apace in the UK, thanks to the NHS, volunteers and support of the armed forces. While France and Spain are a little behind, the ramp-up is gaining significant momentum. We all believe that vaccines are the way out of this dreadful crisis. So by spring we think there will be a clear case for the adoption of vaccination-led travel corridors - or in our case sea lanes - that allow holidays to go ahead this summer and for hope to return."

Brittany Ferries said reciprocal travel corridors based on a combination of high vaccination rates and low infections, would offer a 'clear pathway towards a morale-boosting holiday, supporting the wellbeing of the nation'. These measures could be supported by testing, and (potentially) vaccine passports.

"Now is the time for optimism, not a shutdown on the summer getaway," added Mr Mathieu. "Lockdown Britons should look forward to holiday with growing confidence - and the time is ripe for a re-think on travel corridor policy. We should all be encouraged to book with companies that offer flexible travel, allowing easy amendments or refunds, in the event that the situation changes in the months ahead."
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Until tomorrow, when the govt changes its stance again...!!

But seriously, this does look, finally, to be moving in the right direction. We would certainly be happy to have a vaccination 'passport' (whenever we can eventually get vaccinated!), so it seems the only real way govts will be able to agree on anything. There will still be countries that don't, but they may find themselves in the minority.
    Last edited by Simon Veness; 17-02-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Both of us had our first jab today, very well organised. Got our second one on the 7th May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's very good to hear, Catlady. My parents have also had their first (last weekend), and it is starting to sound quite promising (fingers firmly crossed!). Mind you, I'm surprised the second dose is being delayed so long.

BTW, my brother and sister-in-law are both assisting at a Sus*** vaccination center, hence they've had to be vaccinated, too. And the first person they met there was Hugh Bonneville, who is also helping out!

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...shire-55982663

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    That's very good to hear, Catlady. My parents have also had their first (last weekend), and it is starting to sound quite promising (fingers firmly crossed!). Mind you, I'm surprised the second dose is being delayed so long.

BTW, my brother and sister-in-law are both assisting at a Sus*** vaccination center, hence they've had to be vaccinated, too. And the first person they met there was Hugh Bonneville, who is also helping out!

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engla...shire-55982663
    I saw that article the other day. It is a while to wait for the second jab but I am so grateful to get both. Just a relief although we still have to be careful. The lady giving the jab said there were instances of people having the jab then going out to the supermarket without wearing their masks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's an update on progress from TravelMole.

Is this the best way to re-start travel?

Test and quarantine-free travel between Greece, Cyprus and Israel for tourists who have received the Covid vaccine is due to come into effect on 1 April. Greece and Cyprus agreed the measure last week and Cyprus has since joined the accord, which might be seen by other countries as a way to re-open travel.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
    I saw that article the other day. It is a while to wait for the second jab but I am so grateful to get both. Just a relief although we still have to be careful. The lady giving the jab said there were instances of people having the jab then going out to the supermarket without wearing their masks!!
    Yup, there's just no accounting for Stupid these days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    Here's an update on progress from TravelMole.

Is this the best way to re-start travel?

Test and quarantine-free travel between Greece, Cyprus and Israel for tourists who have received the Covid vaccine is due to come into effect on 1 April. Greece and Cyprus agreed the measure last week and Cyprus has since joined the accord, which might be seen by other countries as a way to re-open travel.
    It's an interesting test case. I'm sure a LOT of travel people will be watching closely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do think that some sort of 'vaccine passport' is inevitable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ditto, TF. At least in the short term (say, through 2022). After that - hopefully - it will become more an issue like the flu, where the most vulnerable can get an annual shot and everyone can travel at their own risk.

Thread Information