Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Whats that one iconic place you have seen you never thought you would see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Whats that one iconic place you have seen you never thought you would see

Ok so I started out with the intention of it being just one iconic place but found that to hard so I have a short list of places or things I thought we would never see or experience you may just have one but would to see your choices.Here are ours in no particular order

1. Main Street Walt Disney World , just because we will never forget that first time

2. Waikiki Beach , always a dream destination we had seen and have now been lucky enough to visit several times

3. Pearl Harbour , mainly due to its history and its significance to WW2

4. Berlin , Checkpoint Charlie and the wall

5. Golden Gate Bridge San Francisco

6. New York , Times Square , Empire State Building

7. New York , Ground zero and 911 museum

8. Maui , Humpback Whale Watching

9. Bridges of Madison County

10. Memphis Sun Studios
    orlando aug 2000 2005 2007 2009 2013 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
    Honolulu 2008 2016 2017 2018
    Maui march 2008 2016 2018
    New York 2010 2016 2018
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2019
    Crete Thassos Parga Santorini
    Vancouver 2018
    New Orleans/ Memphis 2016
    Detroit 2019 Minneapolis 2019 Des Moines 2019
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Alaska cruise
    Tenerife 2013
    Antigua St Lucia Grenada Barbados Cuba Grand Cayman Jamaica Bahamas Mexico
    Prague Budapest
    Venice 2014
    Split Croatia 2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I was growing up long distance travel was a dream and probably considered unachievable! My mother never left the shores of the UK and my dad only did so during WW2. I didn't fly until I was 23!!

So I guess that most places outside the UK I thought I'd likely never see, until Freddy Laker came along and opened up flying.

Standouts for me would be -

1. The Grand Canyon. The word awesome is banded around too easily, but the GC is AWESOME.

2. Empire State, Chrysler Building and the WTC Twin Towers in New York.

3. Sears Tower in Chicago.

4. Space Needle in Seattle.

5. Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Walking out onto it is an amazing experience.

6. The Pacific Coast Highway, what a drive, what views.

7. Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World. Magic comes alive.

8. Disneyland, California. You can just sense Walt's presence.

9. Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, watching the sun go down on the city and the lights coming on was wonderful.

10. Driving through Silicon Valley and seeing all the names of IT companies that I knew or used their products was surreal!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So many places but growing up, especially with the kids young i never thought i would get to America. I'd always wished to see New York and the Statue of Liberty but for me it was a visit to Walt Disney World. I'll never forget in 2003 i was playing around on the internet and looked at a package through Virgin Holidays for 10 days in Orlando. My daughter and wife were on the setee and i kept saying i was going to book it but they didn't take any notice really as i'd said it so many times before. When i said "Right i'm booking it" they turned to see the internet page change to the confirmation page, i've never seen two people go so wild It was that holiday that the very first time we saw the Magic Kingdom parade i looked at the wife and she was crying tears of joy, a memory i will never forget. One of her dreams had come true. It was supposed to be our one and only trip to America, a trip of a lifetime, who was to know how much we would fall in love with it.

1) So Orlando and Magic Kingdom was number 1, everything else was just fulfilling places we really wanted to go after we had been to Magic Kingdom and to be honest, most of that was down to people on here. Without people on here urging me to try driving in the states i think the places we have been would still be just a dream.

2) We fulfilled another dream a couple of years later for our 20th wedding anniversary. I told the wife we were going to Ireland to see my mum for 5 days and she was pleased about that as she loved my mum. As usual i couldn't keep a secret and said to her a week before we went that Mum would have to wait, i was taking her to New York. Again seeing the Skyline as we came over the bridge in the cab was pretty amazing as was seeing the Statue of Liberty from the shore before we boarded the boat out to it.

3) For someone who has loved Alabama football for a number of years, and have "Facebook friends" who live there, a visit to Bryant Denny Stadium became a dream to fulfill after Orlando. We had to wait a few years but going to my first ever Bama game in Tuscaloosa was another amazing experience and a dream for me fulfilled.

4) After America opened up for us another big dream to fulfill was a visit to Nashville. My mum and dad were massive Country fans and both wanted to go but dad would never fly and it probably wasn't really affordable for them so i really wanted to visit the place for them. Visiting the Grand Ole Opry that i had heard so much about as a kid growing up i had a little tear in my eye for my mum and dad.

5) Another place i thought i would never see was where the Battle of the Little Bighorn took place. I grew up with Western Films, my dad loved them and 2 of the biggest places i would love to have visited but thought i never would sit at number 5 and number 6. The Battle of the Little Bighorn and all the stuff to see close by took us way longer to see than we thought. We had set aside 2 hours but we spent pretty much the whole day at the site, Garryowen and other bits around the area.

6) Scene of some of the greatest Western Films ever made is Monument Valley and another stunning trip spending 2 days there. Seeing the amazing rock formations and the drive round the back of the valley to see where Forrest Gump suddenly stopped running.

7) Again as America opened up for us, seeing and walking on the Golden Gate Bridge and visiting Alcatraz was another trip that i thought i would never ever see.

8) Somewhere i wanted to visit but didn't think we could make it was Dallas but we got there by mistake as the Hurricane hit Houston. Seeing where JFK was murdered and visiting all the sights around there and learning about the history around that was pretty amazing. Real history about real people.

9) Another amazing sight of somewhere we never thought we would see was the White House in Washington and the Lincoln memorial. There is so much history in DC you could spend a whole week there and still keep seeing new stuff. We stumbled upon the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the unknown soldier which i never knew about and we were just transfixed.

10) Again after America opened up for us another dream destination was Tombstone and all the gunfighter history which really was an amazing visit for so many reason and stuff that that will live with us for the rest of our lives. Sitting round the fire out the back having a cold beer listening to a group of bikers who were totally crazy but just so interesting was another amazing experience.

There is so much other stuff we have seen only because America opened up for us, places like New Orleans, Denver, Memphis including Elvis mansion and all the stuff around Martin Luther King like a visit to Selma and the place where he was murdered. The trip to Yosemite was great but when we visited Yellowstone we were just blown away but those were places that were nice to visit but not places we had dreamed of visiting. Lamar Valley in Yellowstone is probably the singular most amazing place we had visited but not somewhere that was on the list before we got there.
    Last edited by Superspur; 07-04-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Europe. All of it. Never thought I'd be able to go to Europe. Ever. Now I've been to most European countries, and would happily return to all of them.

The UK. Ditto above. London was this unreachable place where everyone was fancy and hip and on-trend and way, way cooler than us.

Hawaii. Only rich people get to go there.

The very idea of getting over to Africa was just unthinkable for most of my life. I never even considered it, other than wishing I could some day go to Egypt. Now I can't wait to go back.
    Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Main Street walking up to the Castle for me. Had seen it so many times on telly, and there it was.
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1970 View Post
    Main Street walking up to the Castle for me. Had seen it so many times on telly, and there it was.
    Dont think anyone will ever forget that moment
    New York 2010 2016 2018
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2019
    Vancouver 2018
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Alaska cruise
    Tenerife 2013
    Antigua St Lucia Grenada Barbados Cuba Grand Cayman Jamaica Bahamas Mexico
    Prague Budapest
    Venice 2014
    Split Croatia 2019

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Going out on a boat in Vancouver and encountering whales. Never thought I would see that.
    Driving in Canada and encountering a black bear sauntering down the road in front of us. By the time we stopped and got our cameras out it headed into the woods and all we got was its "bear" behind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A couple for me,

The Caspian Sea, I sat on the seafront in Baku looking out at a sea I only knew from Tom Clancy novels in absolute wonder.

The Kremlin and St Basils in the late 1990's not long after the fall of the Berlin wall and that brief little civil war they had in Russia. I'd driven past the building where Borris Yeltsin had been photographed on top of the tank earlier in the trip and the building still had the scars from the tank rounds on it. The real awe-inspiring thing on that trip was passing the huge steel tank traps on the main road out to the airport that mark the furthest advance of the German army in WWII. I had no idea what they were and asked my driver who explained. I then looked behind us and could see the spires of the Kremlin in the distance as he went on to explain that the Soviet army had then pushed the Germans back some 1,100 miles, most of it on foot, all the way to Berlin.

Pacific Coast Highway in Southern California and Laguna Beach, our first long haul trip. Watching the sunset from the beach that Friday night will stay with me forever.
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.
    All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great idea, PG. This really makes me think. I was extremely fortunate in that my family took us to Africa when I was very young (at 6, and then again at 12), so I had seen some iconic things (Victoria Falls, Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain, Entebbe Airport) before I even knew they were iconic things!

Having been in journalism, travel has often been a large part of life, especially in the last 30 years, so it's a real challenge to come up with iconic places I never thought I'd see (because I'd grown up thinking it was normal!).

The USA was always my big dream as a kid, though, and, while it took me until I was 27 before I finally got to see it, I managed to tick a lot of boxes with my first trip, which included San Francisco (driving across the Golden Gate, visiting Alcatraz, having dinner on Pier 39, and taking a cable car ride), Sonoma wine country, Yosemite, Los Angeles (Disneyland and Hollywood; funnily enough, the latter was higher on my must-see list beforehand, but not afterwards!), Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon and Washington DC. A truly action packed couple of weeks that got me completely hooked on the US, and I've been coming back ever since. Disneyland inevitably led to WDW, and WDW led me to Orlando, and moving here 17 years ago.

Hawaii was another 'dream' destination that I've been lucky to visit several times, as was Alaska. The fjords of both Chile and Norway also qualify, while seeing the wildlife in Yellowstone was beyond merely iconic and was more awe-inspiring than I can find words for.

A few other really iconic spots that also came as a surprise were Tombstone (like Superspur), horse-riding in the wilds of Arizona, and taking a trip into the Andes in Chile.

Here's one more - getting to visit Walt Disney's private apartment at Disneyland during a media event about 15 years ago. Unbelievably special and unexpected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Great idea, PG. This really makes me think. I was extremely fortunate in that my family took us to Africa when I was very young (at 6, and then again at 12), so I had seen some iconic things (Victoria Falls, Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain, Entebbe Airport) before I even knew they were iconic things!

Having been in journalism, travel has often been a large part of life, especially in the last 30 years, so it's a real challenge to come up with iconic places I never thought I'd see (because I'd grown up thinking it was normal!).

The USA was always my big dream as a kid, though, and, while it took me until I was 27 before I finally got to see it, I managed to tick a lot of boxes with my first trip, which included San Francisco (driving across the Golden Gate, visiting Alcatraz, having dinner on Pier 39, and taking a cable car ride), Sonoma wine country, Yosemite, Los Angeles (Disneyland and Hollywood; funnily enough, the latter was higher on my must-see list beforehand, but not afterwards!), Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon and Washington DC. A truly action packed couple of weeks that got me completely hooked on the US, and I've been coming back ever since. Disneyland inevitably led to WDW, and WDW led me to Orlando, and moving here 17 years ago.

Hawaii was another 'dream' destination that I've been lucky to visit several times, as was Alaska. The fjords of both Chile and Norway also qualify, while seeing the wildlife in Yellowstone was beyond merely iconic and was more awe-inspiring than I can find words for.

A few other really iconic spots that also came as a surprise were Tombstone (like Superspur), horse-riding in the wilds of Arizona, and taking a trip into the Andes in Chile.

Here's one more - getting to visit Walt Disney's private apartment at Disneyland during a media event about 15 years ago. Unbelievably special and unexpected.
    Some great choices there and the more I think about this subject the more places I can think of
    New York 2010 2016 2018
    Kefalonia 2010 - 2019
    Vancouver 2018
    Paris March 2012
    Tenerife March 2013
    Alaska cruise