Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14

Topic: Diverging Diamond Interchanges

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Diverging Diamond Interchanges

There has been a bit of discussion over the last few years about the heavy traffic and delays through Championsgate and it's junction with I4. The FDOT are currently changing the interchange to a 'Diverging Diamond Interchange' which sounds complicated, but actually isn't. There are others planned for I4 and elsewher in Florida. I've found the following videos which help explain how they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jJ_nqPLnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKA3UqHk5IM

https://youtu.be/NPS8nSx_Mrw
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They certainly need to do something. We have quite a few friends who live in that area, and it takes forever for them to get to Disney property. The traffic problems were one of the reasons we decided not to purchase a home in that area.
    Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you “I’m not messing around, use the gifts you were given.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We very much like the West Haven area just off Ronald Reagan Parkway and the shops etc at Championsgate, but when we return we will probably look elsewhere to stay.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fascinating, TF. Great research! I notice that we can expect more of these diverging diamond interchanges at the Sand Lake Rd and new Daryl Carter Parkway junctions in the near future. Fingers crossed they don't confuse our tourists even more!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Veness View Post
    Fascinating, TF. Great research! I notice that we can expect more of these diverging diamond interchanges at the Sand Lake Rd and new Daryl Carter Parkway junctions in the near future. Fingers crossed they don't confuse our tourists even more!!
    When I first saw a diagram I thought “how confusing”, but when you watch a ‘fly by’ view it looks quite straightforward. And if it speeds up the junction then it has to be a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely anything that helps to ease our traffic congestion is a good idea at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It confused me but then I am often confused! Showed Alan I think he gets it. As he is the driver that's okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From today's Sentinel (PS: those traffic figures are truly eye-watering - no wonder there are such huge back-ups there):

Traffic relief nears; I-4 ‘diverging diamond’ could open as soon as Sunday; more intersections planned for Central Florida

The Florida Department of Transportation could open a new diverging diamond interchange at Interstate 4 and County Road 532 near ChampionsGate in Osceola County as soon as Sunday.

Workers are about to open a radically redesigned intersection along the regularly dysfunctional Interstate 4 west of Orlando to ease some of the traffic troubles there and to provide a preview of similar conversions coming to many other Orlando area crossroads.

An increasingly popular but peculiar intersection design called a diverging diamond has been constructed at the junction of I-4 and County Road 532 in Osceola County just east of the golfing and vacation community of ChampionsGate.

The traffic volume at the intersection is “incredible,” said project spokesperson David Parks. It’s nearly 64,000 vehicles daily, or more than on Colonial Drive east of downtown Orlando and more than on State Road 436 toward the city’s international airport.

To better handle that crushing volume, the diverging diamond will get rid of signals for left turns to and from the interstate. To do that, the design will route the two directions of traffic on C.R. 532 to temporarily cross each other and to travel along at opposite the usual direction through the entire intersection.

The intended result is less waiting at fewer traffic lights and fewer chances of cars hitting each other.

“We are excited to have it,” said Marc Reicher, a ChampionsGate senior vice president. He said the interchange has been problematic for years, posing hazards on the interstate when traffic backs up to standstills on exit ramps and raising tensions when motorist try to merge onto I-4.

Reicher said a key improvement along with the interchange’s redesign is the addition of I-4 lanes between C.R. 532 and the big expressway to the east, State Road 429. Another major upgrade is a significant expansion of ramps to and from C.R. 532 that should combine to reduce accident dangers and driver frustrations, he said.

As for the diverging diamond intersection, “we are about to find out how well it works,” Reicher said. The intersection, he said, mixes high volumes of experienced commuters and first-time vacationers.

Driving on what feels like the wrong side of the road to improve safety may sound like a white-knuckle moment, like a first taste of driving in England, but the diverging diamond intersection’s design and markings are intended to leave little doubt about what to do.

The interchange’s “how to” brochure says simply that “the lane will guide the driver to the opposite of the road.”

An alternative name for the interchange design is more explanatory: a double crossover diamond. Drivers will cross over when entering the intersection and cross back over when leaving the intersection.

It’s not the first go at the design for the Florida Department of Transportation.

The sprawling interchange at Sarasota’s Interstate 75 and University Parkway was retrofitted as a diverging diamond five years ago. From there, FDOT grew a lot of enthusiasm for how well the design handles traffic flow.

Kevin Thibault, the state transportation secretary for three years until becoming chief executive officer at Orlando’s airport early this year, said many major intersections have performed well until taxed by population growth and burgeoning traffic.

That forced, for example, a complete overhaul of the huge intersection at state roads 436 and 528 just north of the airport and the monster interchange at I-4 and State Road 408.

A similar reconstruction of the crossroads at I-4 and C.R. 532 was overdue. The junction was designed in a conventional diamond configuration, where, when seen from above, the interstate, its ramps and the road it crosses create diamond patterns.

“A diamond interchange when it was constructed back in the day for a small, little county road was fine,” Thibault said.

“As it grew with Reunion and ChampionsGate and other developments, it made DOT think about a different design and the diverging diamond was one of those concepts that have been deployed very successfully,” Thibault said.

Up next in Central Florida is the installation of a diverging diamond at I-4 and Daryl Carter Parkway, with construction to start there this year, and at Sand Lake Road and I-4, with that job to start next year.

Further along the timeline are diverging diamonds for: I-4 at Lake Mary Boulevard, at State Road 46A and at State Road 472; Florida’s Turnpike at Avalon Road, Consulate Drive and New Nolte Road; and Interstate 95 at LPGA Boulevard and at State Road 524.

Already open for traffic are diverging diamonds at I-95 and Viera Boulevard and St. Johns Heritage Parkway in south Brevard County.

Remaking the intersection at I-4 and C.R. 532 near ChampionsGate cost $13.2 million.

The intersection will be closed for striping and other touch-ups from Saturday morning through Sunday morning, when it will open to traffic in a mostly complete condition. The cycling lanes and crosswalks are to be finished later this year.

While the intersection is handling about 64,000 vehicles daily, the state department of transportation was unable to readily provide the number of vehicles the redesigned intersection will be able to handle efficiently.

Notably, the intersection is an interim project. It’s meant to be ripped out and rebuilt yet again some years or perhaps decades from now, as the state takes on the gargantuan and undetermined task of rebuilding I-4 through the theme-park and vacation district and beyond.

That task will be all the trickier because Brightline Trains plans to build a high-speed rail corridor within I-4’s footprint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TBH they look quite straightforward to use. Try one out on Google Maps.

Driving on what feels like the wrong side of the road to improve safety may sound like a white-knuckle moment, like a first taste of driving in England, but the diverging diamond intersection’s design and markings are intended to leave little doubt about what to do.
    So tourists from the UK should be OK.

You can see the problem that junction has when you look at the traffic on I4 in the picture!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're not down that way this time to use the new junction, but I might just have to come off the I4 there on the way to or from Tampa just to take a look.
    7 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.
    All my trip reports are now HERE.

Thread Information