Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Visa Waiver - INFORMATION

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Visa Waiver - INFORMATION

Overview – what is the Visa Waiver Program?

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of certain countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. The program was established in 1986 with the objective of eliminating unnecessary barriers to travel, stimulating the tourism industry, and permitting the Department of State to focus consular resources in other areas. VWP eligible travelers may apply for a visa, if they prefer to do so. Not all countries participate in the VWP, and not all travelers from VWP countries are eligible to use the program. VWP travelers are screened prior to admission into the United States, and they are enrolled in the Department of Homeland Security’s US-VISIT program.

Which countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)?

Currently, 27 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program, as shown below:

Visa Waiver Program - Participating Countries.

Andorra Iceland Norway Australia Ireland Portugal Austria Italy San Marino
    Belgium Japan Singapore Brunei Liechtenstein Slovenia Denmark Luxembourg Spain
    Finland Monaco Sweden France the Netherlands Switzerland Germany New Zealand United Kingdom

Which travelers may use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the United States?

Nationals of the 27 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program may use VWP if:

The purpose of their stay in the United States is 90 days or less for tourism or business (if in doubt, travelers should check with the nearest Embassy or Consulate to verify that what they plan to do is considered tourism or business. Transit through the United States is generally permitted. Note that foreign media representatives planning to engage in that vocation in the United States are not eligible, as the purpose of their stay does not qualify as “business”. These professionals must obtain a nonimmigrant media (I) visa. See media visa for more information. Also see Visitor Visas – Business and Pleasure;
    They present a machine-readable passport (MRP) valid for six months past their expected stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). This includes all categories of passports -- regular, diplomatic, and official, when the traveler is seeking to enter the United States for business or tourist purposes, for a maximum of 90 days
    Depending on when VWP travelers’ passports were issued, other passport requirements will apply. Please refer to the Visa Waiver Program Traveler Guide on the United States CBP website for additional details on this program. These passport requirements are:

- Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended on or after 10/26/06 – integrated chip with information from the data page (e-Passport)
    - Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended between 10/26/05 and 10/25/06 – requires digital photograph printed on data page or integrated chip with information from the data page
    - Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended before 10/26/05 – no further requirements
    They have complied with the conditions of previous admissions under the Visa Waiver Program, and have not been found ineligible for a U.S. visa; and
    If arriving by air or sea, they are traveling on an approved carrier (almost all major airlines and cruise ship companies are currently approved carriers - copies of carrier lists may be requested from the Department of Homeland Security’s National Fines Office at 1525 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA. 22209), and have a return trip ticket to any foreign destination.*; or
    They can demonstrate the intent to stay 90 days or less in the United States and demonstrate sufficient funds to support themselves while in the United States. Learn more on the CBP website.

When does a national of a VWP country need to apply for a visa instead of using the VWP?

Nationals of VWP countries must meet the conditions noted in the section above (Which travelers may use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the United States?) in order to seek admission to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. Travelers who do not meet these conditions must apply for a visa. In particular, a visa must be requested if the traveler:

Wants to remain in the United States for longer than 90 days, or envisions that they may wish to change their status (from tourism to student, etc.) once in the United States;
    Wants to work or study in the United States, wants to come to the United States for other purposes not allowed on a visitor visa, or intends to immigrate to the United States;
    Does not have a machine-readable passport (MRP) issued or renewed/extended before 10/26/05, or is unable to meet other requirements outlined above for passports issued on or after October 26, 2005 or October 26, 2006.
    Intends to travel by private aircraft or other non-signatory air or sea carriers to the United States;
    Has been refused a visa or admission to the United States before, or did not comply with the conditions of previous VWP admissions (90 days or less stay for tourism or business, etc.); or
    Has a criminal record or other condition making them ineligible for a visa (see Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas at travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligibilities/ineligibilities_1364.html ).

MORE INFORMATION CAN BE OBTAINED FROM - http://www.travel.state.gov

I booked a trip to Las Vegas last month. I fly out on 6th December. My passport runs out in May so I have just sent off for a new one. I also have a conviction for drink driving!

Am I going to get in America?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi bobonline and welcome to the ATD forums! ;)

You may want to try the Visa Waiver Wizard on the Embassy of the U.S. in London website, here:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...sa_wizard.html

Just answer a few questions on line and it will tell you whether or not you qualify for the Visa Waiver Program or if you will need to apply for a visa before you travel to the US.

Thanks very much Susan.

So I hope to receive an e passport which means I qualify for waiver, but I need a visa because of my conviction.

Do you have any idea of how long it takes to get an interview at the embassy in London? Is it possible to contact the embassy and see how long the waiting list is?

When I arrive in the USA I will need to fill in a form? Will it have the same questions on it as the questionnaire link?

Many thanks again for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would suggest calling the embassy today and getting your interview set up. I don't know how long it takes right now, but we have had other people here who have gotten an interview in just 2-3 weeks. When you call the embassy they will tell you when the soonest day they can get you in is, but I would do that NOW, since it can be a while, depending on how busy they are.

Also bear in mind they will take your passport at that time, then send it back to you either with the visa or with a rejection, which can take a couple more weeks. Then, when you arrive in the US, you will fill in an I-94 form (white) instead of the green I-94W form. The questions are similar, but with some variations.

You DO have time to get this sorted out, but start now! You'll be so glad you did, as it removes all worry about being turned away and sent back, and you don't risk being refused entry into the country later for trying to 'pull a fast one'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default visa info

i have reason to believe that to obtain a visa to enter the usa. it has to be done online. does anyone in the forum know the online address for filling in these visas. thanks everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think you can apply for a visa online, however do you mean the new Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) that allows you to apply for the visa waiver programme, that will be mandatory after January 12th?

If so, go here http://www.usembassy.org.uk/index.html and click on the box at the top right.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Default conviction query

Hi All

This is 1st post and im just wondering if any1 can help me or give me any advice. I have booked to go to orlando in october and was just reading through the forum and saw thread about convictions, the thing is i have a driving conviction for no insurance...very daft of me i know but i was just wondering would this stop my entry to the us. would i deffo need a visa or would i be ok with vwp. any advice that can be given would be really appreciated. thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi mighty_leeds2009 and welcome to the forum.

This is from the US Embassy VWP wizard website http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...sa_wizard.html -

Some applicants are uncertain how to answer the question, "have you ever been arrested?"

In general, minor motoring offenses outside the U.S. that were disposed of by paying a ticket by mail have no bearing on admission to the United States. Travelers with minor traffic offenses that did not result in their arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified. If you are not sure whether or not you are eligible to travel visa free, the only way to resolve this question would be to apply for a visa. The Embassy and the Live Operator Information Service cannot provide any further guidance on this matter until you appear in person before a consular officer.

Based on this it does suggest you would need a visa I'm afraid.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Default conviction query

hi tiggers friend and thanku,

I read that earlier and from what i read i did believe i would need a visa but wasn't totally sure. I think im more worried about not been allowed a visa if im been honest.

Thread Information