Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: 16 more hours in Disneyland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 16 more hours in Disneyland

Just a quick single-day trippy from my 'team-building' day in Disneyland last weekend.

We got to the parking lot at about 07:45 and the only word to describe it is HUGE, think the car parks at Universal and then double it, both long ways and width ways.:eek:

By the time we had got to the entrance and brought our tickets ($91+ tax for a single day hopper) and got into the park it was 08:30, or in other words too late to get on the Nemo subs and still be over to DCA for opening.

There are tiny strobe lights in the flower bed, and every now and again Tink casts her spell on them.

The first order of the day was Space Mountain, so much better than it's current Florida cousin. Hopefully, this is what they will change the MK version to when it goes down for its long rehab later this year. On the way into the 5-minute queue we had grabbed some fast passes for later. From here we walked straight onto Buzz (better as you can hold the guns) where, in the interests of the 'team-building', I let myself lose.;)
    A quick walk across the park to drag our support manager Mike onto Splash Mountain (he doesn't do drops he can see, Space Mountain is fine since it is in the dark) I didn't get to do Splash last year as it went 'tech' on me while in the queue, so I enjoyed a first here. To be honest, it seemed the same as MK to me, but I'm sure there are differences if you know where to look.

Time was getting on now so we grabbed some Fast Passes for Thunder Mountain and left the park for Disney's California Adventure, all of 100 yards away across the entrance plaza.
    They had opened the turnstiles early so we got into the park just before 10am and were in time for the rope drop and the mad rush to Toy Story Mania.

This had only opened the week before so the line was huge, over 90 minutes, but we toughed it out. The detailing in the queue area is lovely with Victorian-style carved wood everywhere. I did have to carefully explain my mirth on spotting this, without offending the yanks around me.:eek:

The ride itself was amazing, a cross between Men in Black, Spider-Man and Buzz, but better than all three. You sit in a tram wearing 3D glasses that goes around a track from game to game. The games are hosted by the toys from Toy Story and are things like the poster above, shooting hosted by the Green Soldiers, pop the balloons with darts and a ball toss. Great fun, and if the ride stops for any reason like a disabled loading then you stay in front of a game for practice (no points awarded). Apparently there are all sorts of hidden features in the games that can be unlocked for extra points, there must be as our scores were far far below that day's high, let alone the all-time high. On the way out you walk through Andy's bedroom where you see the empty boxes that the toys had used to build the ride.

By now we were starving having skipped breakfast for the early start and so headed off in search of food, via the fast pass machine for California Screamin'. Food we found in the form of a loaf of bread with a salad in it. Think of a cottage loaf, cut the top off, scoop the middle out, put a salad in, then balance the top back on.

The day was stupidly hot, 95+, so we decided to try GRR to cool off. We got a Fast Pass then stood in the normal line as well since it was half an hour and we wanted our dinner to settle. Unfortuantly the ride broke down while we were queuing so the wait was more like 45 minutes, but it did cool us down.

Once we were off we walked round to the Condor Flats area and grabbed a fast pass for Soarin' before carrying on to watch the excellent Alladin show. Getting out of Alladin ahead of most of the crowd I rushed over and walked straight onto ToT, on my own since Mike wimped out on this. I have to say I prefer the Orlando version of this where the car moves horizontally from one shaft to the other, but this ride probably has a better throughput of riders with its double-deck cars.

From here we walked back round to the Animation Studio where I got to see Crush for the first time, as well as a fantastic demonstration of stop motion animation done with a turntable and a strobe light. Crush was very cleverly done and very funny, especially when a kid asked him if he liked turtle soup.

Over to drag a reluctant Mike onto California Screamin' next, I think he enjoyed it, but he wasn't up for a second go. Then back to GRR for a second soaking using our Fast Passes before walking still wet into the air-conditioned Soarin' on those Fast Passes. We asked to wait for row one and got even better when they moved us to the centre glider as well.

We were now done with DCA, but on trying to get back over to Disneyland were blocked by the Pixar Play Parade.

I'm not a great one for parades, but since we couldn't get past anyway enjoyed this one. A word of warning for colder days, you do get quite wet, with many of the floats featuring water jets.

Back across the plaza to Disneyland, continued in part two....
    Last edited by spencem; 17-09-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Change photo host
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

All my trip reports are now HERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow! Sounds absolutely fantastic! I've always been led to believe that Disneyland is smaller than Disneyworld, but from what you're saying, that is clearly wrong.

Can't wait for the second instalment.
    Nov 2003 for 14 days
    Feb 2005 for 10 days
    Aug 2006 for 10 days
    Apr 2008 for 10 days
    Feb 2011 for 14 days for the Big 5-0
    Feb 2012 for 10 days for Emma's 18th
    Feb 2013 for 10 days just because!
    Feb 2014 for 7 days on site girlie trip
    Mar 2015 for 14 days for Emma's 21st

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back into Disneyland about 4:45 and first order was to get some Fast Passes for Indy. On the way through Adventure Land a fight broke out in the crowd, two guys were arguing over who should have the map. This one won.

Having got our Fast Passes we went into Pirates with about a 10 minute wait (much longer and better ride than Orlando) and then Haunted Mansion with no wait at all. Our BTMRR Fast Passes from earlier got us round about 15 minutes worth of queue for this shorter, but a possibly faster cousin of the Orlando ride.

Our trip across to Tomorrow Land and dinner was interrupted by our second accidental parade of the day.

This one stops and starts ever couple of floats for a dance routine.

Dinner was in the Tomorrow Land Terrace, which as well as being outside lacks the extensive toppings bar of it's Orland counterpart. I was made to feel my age when the 80's tribute band came up out of the floor of the stage with Mike announcing he wasn't born when some of these songs were hits.:eek:

While eating we noticed the line for the Nemo Subs was looking a little more doable than earlier, so we asked the cast member at the head how long and on being told about 40 minutes decided to join the line. I'm glad we did as the ride is really good and much longer than you would think from watching outside.

There wasn't long to go before the fireworks when we came off, just enough time to use our Fast Passes for a second go on Space Mountain.

As always the hub area was packed for the fireworks, but we managed to squeeze in with about 20 minutes to go. Once again the show was amazing, especially how Tink flies around the castle rather than just down a wire as in MK.

As soon as the fireworks finished we went over to the bridge over Pirates' entrance to watch Fantasmic. Unlike Florida there is no seating in Disneyland unless you pay a fortune for a 'desert tray', so an early start is essential. When we had come out of Haunted Mansion earlier people were already staking out their turf, two and a half hours before that night's first show. If you can do it see the second show, we got a great spot only half an hour before it. Mike did cause me a few tense minutes though, going off for coffee leaving me to try and hold a double-wide spot on the rail until literally seconds before show start. I love this version of the show and think it is well worth the scrum to see it.

After Fantasmic we walked over to Indy and used our Fast Passes. Indy uses the same ride vehicles as Dinosaur at AK, but to much better effect. The ride is much more open and feels like you are driving freely around a temple, rather than following a track. The detailing in the queue area is also amazing.

I was getting ready to call it a night, but Mike had wanted to get on Matterhorn all day, so over we went and into about 10 minutes worth of queue. I didn't mind, it is always good to ride the worlds first steel-tube coaster.

By now it was almost closing time, so we decided we may as well stay for the end. Over to Fantasy Land where I was hoping to get my first ride on Mr Toad's Wild Ride, but it was already closed. No matter a first (and probably last, think Snow White) ride on Pinocchio's Daring Journey rounded off the day. We did get odd looks from the CM's on the ride.:o

Walking down Main Street it turned midnight, well you have to get your money's worth when they charge $91 to get in don't you?;)
    Last edited by spencem; 17-09-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    5 Trips to Florida, Christmas in LA, Disneyland Paris twice and odd days here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great report and photos spencem. When we visited Disneyland a while back, pre California Adventure (which was built on Disneyland's original car park), I really enjoyed it. While it is more compact than Magic Kingdom the sense of Walt's hand is all about.

You certainly got your money's worth though.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeonieM View Post
    I've always been led to believe that Disneyland is smaller than Disneyworld, but from what you're saying, that is clearly wrong.
    Disneyland is much smaller than Magic Kingdom at Disneyworld, but they still pack a lot into the park. You get most of what is in the Magic Kingdom, plus some bits extra like Innovations, Nemo subs and the Indy ride.

While Disneyworld has 4 parks, DTD and the two water parks Disneyland Resort has just two, a smaller DTD and no water park. Disney do have some space to build a third park in Anaheim and have finally settled a zoning (planning permison) dispute with the local council, but in the current economic climate are unlikely to build any time soon. They have however announced a masive overhaul and expansion of the second park, Disney's California Adventure which should be complete by 2011/12. They are also in the process of expanding one of their resort hotels which is rumored to include DVC accommodation.
    Last edited by spencem; 29-06-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great reort and photos... doesn't sound an awful lot like work
    Had never considered a visit to disneyland before... perhaps i should mention it to the husband!!!:eek:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Really enjoyed reading about Disneyland. Would love to ride the different attractions there especially the Nemo Subs are they like the old ride in MK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am looking forward to our trip to California at xmas. I went to Disneyland when DS was 3 he is now 12 so DCA was not built. So I am looking forward to seeing that park this time, also the christmas parade is lovely.

Thread Information