Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: May Holiday Central

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default May Holiday Central

Post your comments, tips, or experiences from your MAY Orlando holiday here!

For instructions on how to post links to your full trip report, click here: INSTRUCTIONS
    Last edited by Susan Veness; 07-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

May is one of my favourite months to visit. The weather I've experienced in May varied from the low 70s (F) to above 100F! There was only one year in the last 20 that I can remember when Orlando had a week straight of 100F and above, so it's quite unusual. Normally you can expect mid-70s to high 80s. It has always been warm enough to fully enjoy the water parks, but not so hot (other than that one year!) that you're wilting the moment you walk out the door.

Humidity is moderate and rain is always possible (the predictible 4pm thunderstorms do occur), but it's not unusual to get a week straight with no rain. Even when storms occur, they're short (anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour), but they generally cool things down slightly, whereas in summer they just tend to make things more humid.

Crowds are 'moderate' by Disney's standards, meaning you'll wait anywhere from 20-60 minutes for the major attractions, though if you visit over Memorial Day Weekend crowds will spike to 'high', and waits can top 2 hours. Try to book to avoid the Friday before Memorial Day (which is always the last Monday in May), through the Tuesday after. Crowds start to peak for Summer around the second week in June, so any 2 week stretch that avoids Memorial Day Weekend is good.

Another bonus to May is, Walt Disney World's Flower and Garden Festival is on at Epcot, so the park takes on an even more beautiful air. The Festival has great lectures for gardeners, and big-name bands (usually from the 1950s-1980s) do free Flower Power concerts, included in your admission.

Star Wars Weekends also start in late May, over at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Great fun for kids and Star Wars fans!

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In recent years, both April and May have become very dry months, hence ideal times to visit. The end of May is the official start of summer, though, so it can certainly be pretty warm. But early May can be quite blissful from both the low crowds and near-ideal weather point of view

Here's the Orlando weather average chart

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

One thing to watch out for in May are little insects called "Love Bugs". They can arrive in swarms and I remember our hire car once being smothered in them after we drove from Orlando to the Space Coast!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very bad for cars but quite harmless otherwise. Some people do get spooked by them (they can seem to get everywhere at times!), but they don't bite or sting at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the last 6 visits we have been in either last week of April/first week of May or first two weeks of May, as you can guess this is our favourite time!

We have found the weather to ideal, it is hot but not unduly so. It occasionally rains, but these are very isolated showers and therefore has less humidity than at other times. Also this time of the year has some of the longest sunshine hours per day, ideal for park touring.

From a crowd point of view we have noticed that it has got busier over the last few years, I guess more people are switched on to May being a great time to visit. You do need to consider when Easter is as this can affect the crowds and also prices. Generally, prices are good compared to other times of the year. Clearly people with school age children may not be able to take advantage of the benefits of this period.

Couple of other things to note is US Mothering Sunday is second Sunday of May - restaurants are very busy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also Cinco de Mayo takes place on 5th May, mainly a Mexican holiday we have noticed over the past few years that things get busier on this day. While Spring Break tends to in April, it has become noticeable that there are more school parties in the parks over the last few years, not sure what the driver is (some form of graduation?)

BTW it is not only Orlando that is a good place to visit at this time of year, but can recommend either coast and the Keys. However, if you visit the Everglades you are unlikely to see them in all their glory as May is the end of the dry season and the Everglades are a bit dried up!
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i agree with may we went last 2 weeks of may and the crowds were very good actually the only park we felt over busy was animal kingdom but at all parks the popular rides the wait times were wuite long liek 90 mins for test track by 11 am but had already ridden it 3 times by then and 5 times by end of daywe knew about memorial day so we chose to have a lazy day then
    it is a great time of year to visit and i recomend thrououghly simon/susans busy day guide we followed that and it worked out great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our first visit (back in 2005) was the last 2 weeks of May and I must admit it was a lovely time to visit. However, by the end of May it was getting far too hot and humid for me. The weather was perfect if I was lying by a pool all day but a little too hot for traipsing around parks all day.

The crowd level wasn't too busy ~ usually 15-20min wait times and we were there for the Flower Festival and the Star Wars Weekend which are both fab
    Memorial weekend did get busy, however, we stayed away from the parks and went shopping instead. There was some fantastic sales on and we spent a fortune :eek:

Had two weeks in May two years ago, weather was hot, so hot that they had bush fires when we went to ST Petersburg and the beach was covered in smoke.

The only problem we had with May was a large amount of school trips and summer camps were at the parks, meaning you could end up with long waits on the big rides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first 2 weeks in May is when we will be going, so thanks for the great tips guys!
    April 1991 International Gateway Inn
    April 1993 International Gateway Inn
    May 2011 Four Points Sheraton Studio City
    Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Hotel

Champion Me and Champion Ret, kickin' *** and takin' names!

Thread Information