Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: From Michigan to Florida! Prologue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default From Michigan to Florida! Prologue.

Eagle-eyed forum members will have noted Susan and I have not been our usual regular selves hereabouts for the past 2/3 weeks. This is because we have been 'on the road' for pretty much all of it, having driven back 'up north' from Florida to Michigan to give my parents a 'grand tour' of Michigan, and then a whistle-stop tour of Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia, before getting back home again (so they can fly back from Orlando).

It all started with the airport pick-up in Detroit and then 3 nights in the East Lansing area, staying near Susan's parents, before heading north via Frankenmuth, Grayling, Gaylord, and Mackinaw City; spending 3 nights on beautiful Mackinac Island; then 1 night in Sault Ste Marie on the Canadian border; and 2 nights in the Traverse City area before starting the big drive south again.

We headed south via Ann Arbor and then into Ohio, stayting 1 night in Miamisburg (just south of Dayton); 1 night in Berea (Kentucky); 1 night in Renfro Valley (also Kentucky); 1 night in Chattanooga (Tennessee); and 2 nights in Atlanta (Georgia).

It was all we hoped for in giving my parents a really different and small-town look at the USA, and we have all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

A very quick 'highlights' tour would include all the pre-game festivities before Michigan State's college game against Central Michigan (on a perfect autumn day); a blissful stay (with some great food!) on Mackinac Island, one of our favourite places in the world; a boat tour of the Sault Ste Marie locks; some fabulous fall foliage in the Traverse City area (with perfect sunshine and bright blue skies); pretty much the whole of Kentucky (with a wonderful B&B discovery in Renfro Valley); the Museum of Appalachia and staying at the Chattanooga Choo Choo (yes, really!); and the Civil War history of Atlanta, along with a visit to the Margaret Mitchell House.

My folks have really enjoyed the friendly, small-town feel of most of the route and have remarked over and over again how clean they have found everything. They have also enjoyed many of the hotels, and the great vfm we've had from them all (notably the wonderful B&B, the Inn on Mackinac and the Country Inn & Suites here in Atlanta, where $75 a night has provided a king room with plenty of space and facilities and a full breakfast each morning (as well as the manager's free drinks and hors d'oevres each week-day evening!!).

We will (probably!) have a lot more to say and show once we get home and settled again and can sort through around 1,000 photos!!!

Here's one to start with, but no prizes for guessing where it is!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You've got me itching to hear more. It all sounds right up our street. Matt, of course, would have been in seventh heaven at Woodford Reserve!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a great trip, you must have covered some miles!

Do you mind me asking, but did you book the hotels in advance or go with the flow and find places as you went along?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ohhhhhh, can't wait to read and see more, it all sounds devine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds wonderful but a lot of driving, how many miles did you cover? A lovely photo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What a wonderful trip. Really looking forward to hearing more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a good time was had by all and a lovely photo for the family album. Look forward to reading more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh yes, looking forward to this. Georgia and Tennessee are on my many
    to do list of places i want to visit in America.
    I LOVE FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quick update - total miles covered (now we are home): 3,594.

Hotels: nearly all booked in advance after extensive research by Susan (one slight change to organised schedule, meaning 2 nights needed to be booked as we went).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Phew that's a lot of driving.....:eek:
    Are your parents spending some time with you in Orlando now?

Thread Information