Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Topic: ESTA Updates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ESTA Updates

I have just added a link to the latest caveat to ESTA applicants on the main (sticky) ESTA thread, as the US is now barring anyone who has recently travelled to Iraq, Iran, Sudan or Syria from using the VWP, as well as anyone with dual nationality with those countries. It is not a huge catch-all by any means, but it is worth bearing in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just rules out many NATO troops and their families (who supported the US),medical staff, humanitarian agencies, refugees, swathe of diplomats, charity workers, interpreters, business people and arms dealers/cigarette sales staff.
    Looking forward to the religious questions to come and having to wear a badge.
    Last edited by Ret400; 22-01-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not that i would ever go to Syria or Iraq

But how would the US know where you have been unless you volunteer that information? (assuming you don't get your passport stamped)

Many years ago one of our ex neighbours used to visit Florida every year and we all knew he had had serious previous convictions but he always lied on his visa application but it never got picked up. He used to say the USA couldn't check his UK crime record. Is that true? He never had a problem so i'm assuming that is true.

There surely must be some way for the US to check not just criminal records but also where people have been, especially to places like Syria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret400 View Post
    Just rules out many NATO troops and their families (who supported the US),medical staff, humanitarian agencies, refugees, swathe of diplomats, charity workers, interpreters, business people and arms dealers/cigarette sales staff.
    As I read in an email I got people in most of the categories you list are exempt and can still travel on the VWP. Quite how you prove this I'm not sure.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Superspur View Post
    Not that i would ever go to Syria or Iraq

But how would the US know where you have been unless you volunteer that information? (assuming you don't get your passport stamped)

Many years ago one of our ex neighbours used to visit Florida every year and we all knew he had had serious previous convictions but he always lied on his visa application but it never got picked up. He used to say the USA couldn't check his UK crime record. Is that true? He never had a problem so i'm assuming that is true.

There surely must be some way for the US to check not just criminal records but also where people have been, especially to places like Syria.
    We debated this type of issue a number of years ago and there was a split view. What I do know is that on one visit to Florida the Homeland Security Officer asked me my occupation, IT Manager says I, oh yes he says in a Finance Company. Yes says I. And then when he processed my wife he knew she was a housewife. Now at the time the ESTA form did not ask these questions! So the question is where did that info come from?
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret400 View Post
    The new provision is specifically worded so that anyone in the military and/or humanitarian aid workers are not included in the latest update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just got my new ESTA as had to get new passport as mine was the old non-chip style.

Does anybody else hold their breath whilst pressing the submit button, or is just me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBell's Sis View Post
    Does anybody else hold their breath whilst pressing the submit button, or is just me?
    Did ours a week or so ago as the old ones had expired and there was the breath in moment to two!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBell's Sis View Post
    Just got my new ESTA as had to get new passport as mine was the old non-chip style.

Absolutely. I don't even have so much as a parking ticket but i still worry in case it mixes me up with someone else and spits out a NO

Thread Information