Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Topic: When only the best will do: 2009 Theme Park Insider awards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default When only the best will do: 2009 Theme Park Insider awards

From today's Orlando Sentinel:

SeaWorld's Manta, Epcot's Les Chefs de France and Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando are tops in their class, according to readers of the Theme Park Insider web site, which has announced its annual awards.

The win by Les Chefs for Best Theme Park Restaurant ends the six-year reign of Islands of Adventure's Mythos restaurant, which was a finalist in the category. The third finalist was SeaWorld's Sharks Underwater Grill.

The Manta roller coaster was picked as the best new attraction, earning the highest average reader rating of the rides and show that debuted in U.S. Theme parks between June 1, 2008, and May 31, 2009. Other finalists were the Prowler at Worlds of Fun and Diamondback at Kings Island.

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando was named best theme park hotel, which was lauded for service, setting, accomodations and its free front-of-line access at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Two Disney World properties were runners-up: Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge.

The only category topped by a park outside Central Florida was "best theme park," which was won by Disneyland of Anaheim, Calif. The two other finalists were Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va.

Midlife: when the Universe grabs your shoulders and tells you Im not messing around, use the gifts you were given.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow. I really must try Les Chefs again. What with Scott's review and now this accolade, I really must have missed something during my one and only visit there around 6 years ago. Given our recent discussion regarding Le Cellier, the people voting in this poll are clearly not the same as those clamouring to make ADRs at WDW.

I suppose I couldn't argue with the choice of Portofino Bay as the best theme park hotel. It really is a notch above most and quite classy amongst the genre. But with better upscale options in the Orlando area, the only reason for me to stay onsite is proximity to the parks and, with multiple stays at all three Universal resorts under my belt, I can say without fear of contradiction that the more distant location of PBH is definitely a drawback.

P.S. I'm intrigued about the forecast demise of your ticker, Susan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting spread of results, and definitely not particularly flattering for WDW, even though Chefs de France has finally broken the grip of Mythos. I suspect that may reflect the downturn in attendance at IoA. But very good news for SW and Manta (although I am surprised to see it winning when it was only officially open for 8 days of the one year qualifying period!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was also surprised about Manta. It is a good coaster (and I guess different), but it's not the best IMHO.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers Friend View Post
    I was also surprised about Manta. It is a good coaster (and I guess different), but it's not the best IMHO.
    Being new i suppose it was at the front of everyones mind when voting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ELAINE View Post
    Being new i suppose it was at the front of everyones mind when voting?
    Probably very true elaine, and it was well advertised. I just wonder how many people that voted had actually ridden it.
    91/92/95HI MGE;97NYC/Cali/Ariz/Chicago;98St.Petes Bch/Hyatt K'mee;00C'water Bch/Dixie Landings;02South'n Dunes;05Ft.Myers/Keys/Ft Lauderdale/BW LBV;06Indian Ridge;07Ind. Ridge;08Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;09Sarasota/Ind. Ridge;10Sanibel/Ind. Ridge;11Ind. Ridge;12Sanibel/West Haven;13West Haven;14Sanibel/West Haven;15Sanibel/West Haven;15West Haven;16Panhandle tour/Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel/Loma Vista;18Gulf Coast/St Ag/West Haven;19Sanibel/Venice Beach/West Haven

Thread Information