The 22nd April is not only a significant day because the world takes a day out of its busy week to dedicate an entire day to the planet we live on with Earth Day, but this green concerned day shares itself with the birthday of Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom Park and we're guessing this is by no coincidence. Today Earth Day sees in its 43rd year, whilst Disney World's Animal Kingdom celebrates its 15th year of entertaining and educating animal lovers. To mark this big day the park is hosting some Earth Day birthday festivities, with a special opening ceremony at the Tree of Life, an Earth Day Party for the Planet and some limited edition 15th anniversary merchandise for lucky Disney guests to join the park in celebrating this achievement . Of course the Disney enthusiasts amongst you that weren't able to make it out to Disney World for Animal Kingdom's 15th birthday needn't worry, at Attraction Tickets Direct we're paying homage to the park with these Animal Kingdom stats and facts!
- Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom opened on the 22nd April 1998, making it the fourth Disney park to open - nine years after Disney's third park Disney's Hollywood Studios opened.
- Covering 500 acres of land, the Animal Kingdom park is the largest of the Walt Disney World parks with seven themed areas; Oasis, Discovery Island area, Camp Minnie-Mickey, Africa, Rafiki's Planet Watch area, Asia and Dinoland USA area.
- The park that themes its entertainment around animal education and preservation makes home to more than 1,700 animals of 250 different species. The first animal to be born at the park was a large African Antelope.
- Disney's Animal Kingdom is approved by the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, which certifies that the park meets or exceeds the standards in conservation, research and education.
- On the 22nd April 1998 the then CEO of the Walt Disney Company, Michael D Eisner, opened the Animal Kingdom park with this statement, 'Welcome to a kingdom of animals...real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions , dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.'
- The Tree of Life is the emblem of the Animal Kingdom; an artificial sculpted tree reaching 145 foot tall and 50 foot wide. The tree features 325 animal carvings which took ten artists and three Disney Imagineers eighteen months to complete. Sculptors had between six and ten hours to sculpt the carvings before the plaster hardened and set.
- An excess of four million plants, trees, vines, grasses, shrubs and greenery from each of the world's continents, apart from Antarctica, have been planted to make Animal Kingdom's green landscape.
- Attraction Tickets Direct's favourite attractions at the Animal Kingdom park are high speed roller coaster ride Expedition Everest, high spirited stage production Festival of the Lion King, big thrill white water rafting ride Kali River Rapids, African jungle tour Kilimanjaro Safaris Experdition and world famous themed restaurant Rainforest Cafe!
Disney's Animal Kingdom is one of the world's most visited theme parks, so if you're planning a holiday in the theme park capital of the world you will definitely want to use your tickets to experience Disney World's Animal Kingdom!
Happy 15th Birthday Animal Kingdom Park!