Royal Monastery of El Escorial & Valley of the Fallen & Toledo Half Day Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Marvel at the Royal Monastery of El Escorial, a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. See the Hapsburg’s Palace, the King’s Mausoleum, and the Basilica. Visit the Valley of the Fallen, an underground church topped with a 152-meter cross. Dive into a fascinating mix of cultures in Toledo. Walk through the Old Town part of the city following your guide and see the famous painting by el Greco, The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.
Our guide to Royal Monastery of El Escorial & Valley of the Fallen & Toledo Half Day Tour
Enjoy a guided tour through the Royal Monastery of El Escorial, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Built in the 15th century, it is a symbol of the power of the government at the time. See the impressive Royal Mausoleum and the story behind the 21 years it took to build the site. Of Renaissance style, you will marvel at the building symmetry. Listen to your guide explanations as you walk along the site visiting the Habsburg’s Palace, the Chapter House or the Basilica and the remarkable library.
Board your bus again at the end of the guided tour for a short drive to the Valley of the Fallen. The site is located 9km away from El Escorial, in Sierra de Guadarrama. You will be able to see it from far away thanks to the monumental cross, built above the site. The monument is an underground church built into the mountain. The same is topped by the World’s Largest Cross, which can be seen from miles away.
Check in again at our office in central Madrid 15 minutes in advance of your tour. Leave the city towards Toledo aboard one of our comfortable air-conditioned coaches. Relax and enjoy the scenery on the way to the city. Take a guided walking tour of the Historic City of Toledo, World Heritage City since 1986. Once Spain’s capital, it is a perfect mix of Arab, Jewish and Christian cultures.
Learn about its fantastic heritage and see how the coexistence of cultures through the centuries influenced its current architectural style. Stroll amid the courtyard cloisters and royal coats of arms at the San Juan de los Reyes Monastery. Admire the building sponsored by the Catholic Monarchs to become a royal mausoleum.
Right after the visit, we will walk to the Synagogue of Sta. Maria la Blanca. Originally built as a synagogue, it was expropriated and became a Church only 211 years after it opened its doors. Today, it is a fantastic museum of Mudejar (Arabic) style that you will visit. Admire the world-famous painting of by el Greco – The Burial of the Count of Orgaz – at the Church of St. Tomé. Did you know el Greco himself lived in this beautiful city?
The walking tour will continue until we reach the Cathedral, considered of the most important Gothic Cathedrals in Spain. You will see it from the outside before the guided tour finishes. Then, you will have free time to explore Toledo on your own before returning to Madrid.
JULIÀ TRAVEL OFFICE: San Nicolás 15 (next to Plaza de Ramales) – Madrid
From Wednesday, Friday, Sunday 8.30 am. Approximately 10 hours duration.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Royal Monastery of El Escorial & Valley of the Fallen & Toledo Half Day Tour
- Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the supplier 72 hours prior to the tour date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours of tour date.
- Julià Travel reserves the right to modify or cancel the tour itinerary due to events celebrated in the city or force majeure operational reasons without prior notice.
- Please note photography and filming are not permitted inside the Royal Monastery of El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen.
- In accordance with the regulations of the Valley of the Fallen, the guide will not be able to give explanations inside the basilica. All information will be given outside and the visit will be on your own.
- Please note this is a walking tour on arrival at the site. Wear appropriate attire.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers per guide.
- The Tour lasts 10 hours (Escorial & Valley of the Fallen: Approximately 5 and a half hour) + Toledo pm: Approx. 5 hours) (The duration of the tour includes transportation)
- The tour ends at underground parking Plaza de Oriente, Level -2.