Lava Cave & Geothermal Adventure
- Free cancellations*
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Explore one of Iceland's largest natural lava caves before taking some time out to relax at a geothermal pool at Húsafell.
Our guide to Lava Cave & Geothermal Adventure
On this tour, you will go to Iceland’s largest natural lava cave, located in West Iceland. You will drive from Reykjavík through the beautiful Borgarfjörður towards Húsafell.
On the way, your tour will stop at the most powerful hot spring in Europe, Deildartunguhver and the magnificent Hraunfossar lava waterfalls.
After a break in Húsafell, you will head to the stunning Víðgelmir cave (148000 m3) which is one of the largest natural lava caves in the world.
There we start an adventurous and guided walk down the great, colourful and beautiful lava cave. You will learn about its history and geological uniqueness which dates all the way back to the Viking age.
Following the cave adventure, there is the option to relax at the geothermal pool at Húsafell (payable locally) or explore the surrounding area before driving straight back to Reykjavík.
Daily, year round.
9.00am with hotel pick-ups from approximately 30 minutes prior to that time.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Lava Cave & Geothermal Adventure
- In the event of inclement weather, road closures or other causes which may impact your hotel pick-up, you will be advised of the nearest collection point. It is the customer's responsibility to be at this location to be collected.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure.
- Pick-up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- Remember to bring warm clothing, rain gear and sturdy footwear
- Please bring a swimsuit and a towel.
- Children under the age of 6 will have to comply with guidelines set by the cave. This includes the location of the party on tour and possibly turn around before the last stop of the tour.
- This tour is not suitable for children aged 3 and under.
- *CANCELLATION POLICY: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions for Lava Cave & Geothermal Adventure
Clothing & Accessories
Do I need special equipment to visit the Lava Tunnel?
No, you will be supplied with the necessary equipment such as helmets and lights. It is recommended to wear good hiking shoes and warm clothing as the temperature in the cave is around 0-4 degrees celcius. Waterproofs are also recommended as water sometimes drips from the ceiling of the cave.
How far away is the Lava Tunnel from Reykjavik?
The Lava Tunnel is located about 30 minutes from Reykjavik centre.
Is the Lava Tunnel suitable for everyone?
You do need to be in good physical shape and able to walk through rough terrain with big boulders without difficulty. It is not recommended for guests with back, knee, or mobility issues.