The Lava Tunnel
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Visit the lava tunnel, Raufarhólshellir, and walk where lava had flowed thousands of years previously. A truly magnificent tour, see the variation of colours of the tunnel caused by the different mineral types of rock.
Our guide to The Lava Tunnel
Experience something completely new on your trip to Iceland and walk through an actual lava cave to witness forces of nature as you've never seen before.
Located only 30 minutes from Reykjavík, the lava tunnel Raufarhólshellir is one of the biggest in Iceland and reaches up to 30 metres wide and 10 metres high.
Near the entrance, the ceiling has caved in creating beautiful columns of light and the different colours you'll see as you pass through are caused by the different minerals within the rock.
This lava tunnel is the inner workings of a volcanic eruption. Learn new things and step out of your comfort zone. Scenes from the Hollywood movie, Noah, starring Anthony Hopkins were shot in this cave.
This is an unmissable tour for anyone visiting Iceland!
Daily, year round.
9.00am & 1.00pm, with hotel pick-ups from approximately 30 minutes prior to that time.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for The Lava Tunnel
- In the event of inclement weather, road closures or other causes which may impact your hotel pick-up, you will be advised of the nearest collection point. It is the customer's responsibility to be at this location to be collected.
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure.
- Pick-up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- Children MUST be aged 1 year old and weigh a minimum of 9kg to participate on this tour. Babies younger than 1-year-old (under 9 kg) are only safe in baby car seats that require 3-point seat belts, which cannot be provided. and you can not bring your own car seat. Child´s car seats for children 9 – 18 kg approx. (1 – 3 or 4 years old) will be provided. Children aged 3 or 4 years and older (over 18 kg) can use the normal seat belts on the bus.
- *CANCELLATION POLICY: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours.