Whale Watching Iceland
- 14 booked
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
The biggest whale watching boat in Iceland!
Iceland's rich variety of sea life includes Harbour porpoises, white-beaked dolphins and, of course, an abundance of whales. See how many you can spot on this sea safari extravaganza!
Our guide to Whale Watching Iceland
Keep your eyes peeled for members of Iceland's abundant wildlife population as you set sail from Reykjavik's Old Harbour but of course, the real 'porpoise' of this trip is to get up close and personal with the area's whales.
Both Minke and Humpback species are regularly seen in this part of the North Atlantic Ocean - as evidenced by the 90% success rate in sighting these huge mammals - so bring your camera!
There are two boats to choose from plus an Iceland exhibition option:
A family-friendly tour on one of our very stable and comfortable boats. Fantastic inside and outside viewing areas.
- Duration: The voyage lasts 3 to 3.5 hours.
- Start time: 1.00pm year-round. There are additional 9.00 am departures (from March to November) and 5.00 pm from the 15th May to 30th September.
The fastest and only purpose-built whale-watching vessel in Iceland holds just 65 passengers making for a more intimate experience. Its high cruising speed means you will get to the whale watching grounds in just 15-20 minutes, ideal for busy itineraries.
- Duration: The voyage lasts 2 to 2.5 hours.
- Start time: 10.00 am and 2.00 pm from June to September; with an additional 9.00 pm departure from 15 June to 31 July.
Why not add on... a visit to the Whales of Iceland Exhibition?
Including a visit to the spectacular Whales of Iceland Exhibition with your whale watching trip is a great way of embellishing your visit to Reykjavik.
Showcasing 23 life-size whale models with a lot of in-depth information, interactive experiences and underwater footage of whales shown on an 8-meter long screen, the exhibition really gives you a feeling how small humans are compared to the ocean wildlife.
- Where: Located on the other side of the old Reykjavik harbour, you can visit before or after your whale watching tour.
- Start time: Whales of Iceland exhibition is open daily, from 10 am – 5 pm all year round.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Whale Watching Iceland
- In the event of inclement weather, road closures or other causes which may impact your hotel pick-up, you will be advised of the nearest collection point. It is the customer's responsibility to be at this location in order to be collected.
- The tour is dependent on weather and sightings cannot be guaranteed.
- Weather and sea conditions can be unpredictable during the winter months. Boat captains will make their decision to sail based on many years of experience, always keeping in mind passenger safety and comfort.
- Please note, although there is a 90% chance if seeing whales March to November and 60-70% chance December to February, sightings can't be guaranteed. In the unfortunate event of an unsuccessful trip, guests will receive a free ticket to try again.
- Sometimes in the winter there might be the case to sail from other harbours south of Reykjavik for better sea conditions. Should that happen, transport will be provided for all our passengers to and from Reykjavik, therefore the tour might be slightly longer due to the extra drive.
- Warm clothes such as hats, mittens and scarfs are recommended as is suncream in the summer months.
- This tour follows IceWhale code of conduct for responsible whale watching.
- Children aged 0-6 years old may participate in the tour for free.
- You will be asked to show a valid form of photo ID upon arrival for check-in.
- Please note, it is possible to include a hotel pick up with your ticket. Simply select this option at time of booking.
- If you have purchased an Exhibition ticket, this will still be valid for use, even if the whale watching cruise does not go ahead due to poor weather.
- *CANCELLATION POLICY: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours.