Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
- Pay in instalments
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Fantastic panoramic shots of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf await...
Combine your ferry trip to Rangitoto Island with a guided tour of the island on a 4WD road-train. Journey through the largest Pohutukawa forest in the world, a treasured fern glen and rugged lava terrain as you make your way to the base of the summit of Rangitoto
Our guide to Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
Enjoy a scenic 25 minute cruise across Waitemata Harbour to Rangitoto Island, a volcanic island which sits majestically off the Auckland coast.
On your arrival, meet your ranger guide and hop aboard a 4WD vehicle for a guided tour exploring the local geology, plantlife, human history and 200 species of moss, plants and trees, including the largest Pohutukawa forest in the world, now thrive on the island.
You'll journey across rugged lava fields as your guide explains the origins of the island, formed about 700 years ago after a series of volcanic eruptions.
The 4WD tram takes you to the base of the summit where you’ll walk for half a mile (900m) along a wooden boardwalk to reach the top - be sure to bring your camera for fantastic panoramic shots of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf.
Once you have soaked up the summit vistas, rejoin the tour vehicle for the return trip via the western side of the island. Pass some of the preserved bachs beach homes that were built in the 1920s.
Bach settlements have almost disappeared in New Zealand, making Rangitoto's a rare example of this piece of architectural history. You may also see remnants of obsolete ships that, in the old days, were left to rot on the island’s hidden shores.
Daily year round.
May to September - Monday to Friday: 12:15pm; Saturday, Sunday: 9:15am and 12:15pm. October to April: 9:15am and 12:15pm.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
- Present your voucher at ticket offices located at Pier 1 or Pier 2 and be exchanged for tickets no later than 30 minutes prior to sailing.
- The 4WD road train has dropdown clear curtains to protect passengers if it rains.
- Rough or bad weather may cancel cruises.
- No shops are located on the island so passengers must take food and drink with them or food and beverages can be purchased onboard the vessel.
- The walk to the summit includes boardwalk stairs. The walk is optional and some passengers may choose to stay and enjoy the view from the base of the summit.
- Rangitoto Island is a pest-free sanctuary for native birds and plants. There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. If you bring food, please remember to take it off the island with you.
- No refund if the booking is cancelled 48 hours or less prior to travel or in the event of a no show.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.
Frequently Asked Questions for Rangitoto Volcanic Explorer Tour
- What should I wear?
Although there's not a great deal of walking, it's a good idea to bring water, a snack/lunch, sun screen and a hat, as the island can get very hot. A comfortable pair of shoes are recommended.
- Do I have to walk to the summit on Rangitoto Island?
The walk is optional and some passengers may choose to stay and enjoy the view from the base of the summit.