Montserrat Mountain & Royal Basilica Afternoon Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Discover one of the most mystic Catalan wonders on our 4-and-a-half-hour tour. Take the cogwheel train and enjoy a breathtaking ride up the mountain. Walk around the sanctuary and imagine the many lives lived by the monks at the site through the centuries. Finally, visit the Black Madonna known as La Moreneta in the Basilica or taste some of the local liquors made in the area.
Our guide to Montserrat Mountain & Royal Basilica Afternoon Tour
Leave our office in Barcelona on an air-conditioned coach towards Montserrat. After a 1h drive on the highway, board the cogwheel train up the mountain and enjoy the amazing views over the area. Admire the Mountain’s peculiar morphology, which comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Fall in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary. Learn about the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova. To this day, their woodcarving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio-visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.
We would like to show you some activities that you can do during your free time. Please, bear in mind that your free time is limited. If you want to enjoy a complete day in Montserrat, we recommend you our full day tour to Montserrat.
- Montserrat Museum: wide variety of archeological artworks from medieval times to avant-garde style. Entrance fee not included on the tour.
- Hiking routes: although there are plenty of trails to follow, we recommend you to reach the cross of Sant Miquel (approximately 15 minutes from the monastery) as it offers one of the best views of the area.
Departure: New departure point 2021: Julia Travel office, Estació del Nord, ground floor, platform 19. Carrer d'Alí Bei, 80
Departs: April to October - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday November to March - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
Start Times: April to October 3.00pm. November to March 2.00pm
Duration: Around 4.5 hours.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Montserrat Mountain & Royal Basilica Afternoon Tour
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the supplier 72 hours prior to the tour date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours of tour date.
- Unfortunately, this tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- For your comfort, a radio guide system is offered during the tour, in groups of more than 5 people.
- Infants (0-3yrs) travel free provided they do not occupy a seat.
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.