The Lava Tunnel
- Pay in instalments
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Visit the lava tunnel, Raufarhólshellir, and walk where lava had flowed thousands of years previously. A truly magnificent tour, see the variation of colours of the tunnel caused by the different mineral types of rock.
Our guide to The Lava Tunnel
Visit the lava tunnel Raufarhólshellir located only 30 minutes from Reykjavík. During your tour, you will get to witness the inner workings of a volcanic eruption while walking along the path where lava had flowed thousands of years previously.
This lava tunnel is one of the biggest in Iceland and gets up to 30 metres wide and 10 metres high. The lava tube ceiling has caved in near the entrance, which creates beautiful columns of light and the different colours you will see as you pass through the tunnel is caused by the different minerals within the rock.
Experience a something completely new, hear the talk of the cave and sense the forces of nature as you have never done before. Learn new things and step out of your comfort zone. Scenes from the Hollywood movie, Noah, starring Anthony Hopkins were shot in this lave cave.
This is an unmissable tour for anyone visiting Iceland.
Why not combine your lava tunnel tour with a relaxing visit to the geothermal pool at Húsafell by choosing our Lava Cave & Geothermal Adventure ticket option!
Daily, year round.
9.00am & 1.00pm, with hotel pick-ups from approximately 30 minutes prior to that time.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for The Lava Tunnel
- In the event of inclement weather, road closures or other causes which may impact your hotel pick-up, you will be advised of the nearest collection point. It is the customer's responsibility to be at this location to be collected.
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure.
- Pick-up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- Children MUST be aged 1 year old and weigh a minimum of 9kg to participate on this tour. Babies younger than 1-year-old (under 9 kg) are only safe in baby car seats that require 3-point seat belts, which cannot be provided. and you can not bring your own car seat. Child´s car seats for children 9 – 18 kg approx. (1 – 3 or 4 years old) will be provided. Children aged 3 or 4 years and older (over 18 kg) can use the normal seat belts on the bus.
- *CANCELLATION POLICY: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours.