Night on Alcatraz Island with Fisherman's Wharf & Sourdough Bread Tour
- Free cancellations*
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Experience the exclusivity of Alcatraz Island in the evening, when the majority of tourists have departed, making it a truly exceptional visit that only a select few can claim.
Our guide to Night on Alcatraz Island with Fisherman's Wharf & Sourdough Bread Tour
Embark on a unique adventure to the fortified confines of Alcatraz, gaining exclusive evening access to the infamous prison. While most visitors have departed, you and your small group will have the entire island at your disposal for exploration. This extraordinary experience is complemented by a comprehensive exploration of the vibrant Fisherman's Wharf, including a visit to Boudin Bakery, where the iconic San Francisco sourdough bread was first created and refined.
Commence your adventure in the vicinity of Ghirardelli Square, setting off from the historic former factory. Enjoy a captivating "behind the scenes" perspective overlooking Aquatic Park, where you can catch a glimpse of the formidable Alcatraz Island. Weave your way to the heart of Fisherman’s Wharf as your guide prepares you for your evening spent at the notorious prison.
Explore Fisherman's Wharf, where you'll visit the renowned Boudin Bakery to learn about San Francisco's iconic sourdough bread. Take a unique route through Pier 39 to encounter the lively sea lions up close. After enjoying their company for a while, make your way to Alcatraz Landing for your ferry departure to the island.
Finally, embark on the boat to the renowned "Inescapable Island," joining a small group of no more than eight guests due to limited and sought-after tickets. Begin with a brief introductory tour led by a Park Ranger, walking towards the cellhouse to receive your audio guide. Explore the island, listening to captivating stories from former inmates, correctional officers, and even former children residents of Alcatraz Island. As the sun sets, return to the ferry for your journey back to the captivating City by the Bay.
Fridays and Saturdays from 3030 Larkin Street San Francisco, CA 94109, USA. Meet you your guide opposite Ghirardelli Chocolate.
3.30pm. Please meet 15 minutes prior to the tour start time.
Around 4 hours.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Night on Alcatraz Island with Fisherman's Wharf & Sourdough Bread Tour
- This tour is on a request basis only
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- This tour is conducted in English only.
- The Alcatraz Island portion of this tour is self-guided (audio guide included). You will not have a guide during this section of the tour.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no-shows after tour commencement or departure.
- Due to policies governed by Alcatraz, you must provide the name and birth date for each person visiting the island.
- All travelers over the age of 18 must bring ID for their Alcatraz tour. Without ID, Alcatraz Cruises will not release your ticket and you will not be able to travel to Alcatraz.
- This tour has a maximum capacity of 8 guests.
- San Francisco is a notoriously chilly city with micro-climates. It is best to wear/bring layers for all of our tours, even at the height of summer.
- This is a walking tour. Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level.
- Only small backpacks and regular-size handbags are allowed on this tour.
- Unfortunately, you can not take strollers on this tour.
- Walks comply with all local government regulations. You may need to wear a mask or provide proof of vaccination to enter certain venues. Please refer to San Francisco government guidelines for the most up to date information
- *Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations made within 72 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions for Night on Alcatraz Island with Fisherman's Wharf & Sourdough Bread Tour
What is the Night on Alcatraz Island with Fisherman's Wharf & Sourdough Bread Tour?
This tour is a unique experience that begins with an evening visit to Alcatraz Island, known for its former prison, and then takes you to explore the lively atmosphere of Fisherman's Wharf, with a special focus on its famous sourdough bread.
What time of year is the best time to visit Alcatraz?
The best time of the year to visit Alcatraz is in the winter months (January - March) if you want to avoid long crowds. The best months to visit due to weather are April - May or September-October. The summer months can be cold and foggy on Alcatraz Island.
Clothing & Accessories
What should I bring with me for the tour?
We recommend wearing comfortable clothing and walking shoes. Bring a jacket or layers, as the weather on Alcatraz Island can be chilly, even in the summer. Don't forget your camera!
How should I dress for Alcatraz Island when visiting?
You should bring a light jacket or sweater when visiting Alcatraz Island as the weather can be unpredictable. Winter months can be wet so we suggest that you bring a raincoat or wet gear. Comfortable shoes are necessary because much of Alcatraz Island is steep and hilly.