Volcano Wonders of Reykjanes Geopark
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Explore the otherworldly beauty of Reykjanes Geopark's Volcanic Wonders. Witness dramatic landscapes, bubbling geothermal activity, and rugged terrain in this unique Icelandic natural wonder.
Our guide to Volcano Wonders of Reykjanes Geopark
The Reykjanes Geopark is located on a peninsula divided between two continents. This unique placement of the Reykjanes Peninsula on the drift zone between the North American and the Eurasian continental plates makes it a true Volcanic Wonder.
On the drive along the Reykjanes peninsula, you are constantly in the presence of the roaring Atlantic Ocean, endless lava fields, and volcanic craters. An alien landscape, decorated by windblown palagonite and petrified troll formations.
Your adventure starts by the youngest volcano in Iceland, Fagradalsfjall Volcano, and the surrounding lava fields. The hike up to the view point takes about 40 minutes, where you will be able to explore the devastating yet beautiful aftermath of this recent volcanic eruption.
From 2021 there have been three eruptions on the peninsula, the most recent one ended on 6th of August 2023.
After the volcano hike, you stop by the bridge between continents, where you can walk between the continental plates that divide the peninsula. This stop underlines this unique placement directly on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
On your way back to Reykjavík, you will stop by the largest mud pool in Iceland, Gunnuhver. You can feel the ground shake from the enormous power released from the boiling water and steam released.
You will also visit one of the most iconic features of the Icelandic volcanic landscape, the boiling mud pools of Seltún, and the steaming colourful surrounding landscape. This stop is only available when the road to Seltún is open (usually closed during winter).
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Volcano Wonders of Reykjanes Geopark
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- You will be required to present a printed copy of your voucher at the time of tour departure..
- Pick-up from hotels and guesthouses starts 30 minutes before the tour departure time. You will be advised of specific times upon reconfirmation locally.
- Returning from your tour, you will be dropped off at the pick-up point you were collected from or at the closest possible point.
- Children MUST be aged at least 10 years old to participate on this tour.
- This tour requires a moderate difficulty level and guests should be in reasonable health. Please check with your doctor prior if you have any medical issues.
- Warm clothing, waterproof jack and sturdy shoes are recommended. Thermals are suggested for colder days.
- Hiking crampons and poles are highly recommended.
- Please take water with you as this will not be provided on the tour.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the operator up to 72 hours before your chosen activity date. No refunds are given for cancellations/amendments made within 72 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions for Volcano Wonders of Reykjanes Geopark
Clothing & Accessories
What is best to wear when visiting the Reykjanes Geopark?
The weather can be unpredictable, so it is best to wear or take clothing for all occasions. It can be warmer at the bottom of the Volcano and colder (even snowing) at the top of the Volcano. A waterproof jacket, hiking boots, thermals (during winter), and additional warm clothes are highly recommended.
Do I need to take walking poles with me to Reykjanes Geopark?
Hiking cramptons and walking poles are highly recommended to take with you when doing this tour.
Food & Drink
Do I need to take water with me to Reykjanes Geopark?
Yes, please make sure you take water with you when you do this tour as they are unable to provide any to you.