Awakening the Duomo - Exclusive early entry to the Cathedral & Brunelleschi's Dome
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
There are few landmarks in the world as strikingly beautiful as Florence’s green-and-white marble Baptistery and its glorious Duomo, topped off by Brunelleschi’s extraordinary cupola.
Our guide to Awakening the Duomo - Exclusive early entry to the Cathedral & Brunelleschi's Dome
Both these incredible monuments boast as much architectural magnificence outside as they showcase captivating artistic and architectural masterpieces inside.
No visitor would renounce visiting the Florence Cathedral. But… have you ever wondered what these amazing monuments look like at daybreak, quiet and still before crowds of people start entering?
Imagine meeting the person who opens the Duomo’s impressive door, walking inside before anybody else, and seeing the lights go on.
Now you can, thanks to the novel, spectacular, and exclusive early morning The Awakening, a unique small group tour crafted to offer a privileged viewpoint on the Duomo. Admire this exceptional landmarks when it wakes up, see the doors open for your eyes only and watch the lights go on!
It all starts at daybreak: as Florence wakes up, your private dedicated guide will lead you to the Duomo doors to meet the “chiavigero”, the person in charge of opening this jewel case of artistic magnificence. The moment the key turns in the lock, and the doors open, you will start perceiving the interior, still dim and silent. Get ready to be surprised: the next thing the key bearer will do is turn on the lights, firstly those that reveal the amazing frescoed vault. Watch the light slowly illuminate the 3600 square meter masterpiece painted by Vasari and Zuccari. Admire the elaborate, vibrant “Last Judgement” fresco, watch the elders of the Apocalypse, the angels, and the saints come to life before your eyes.
Follow your guide, and gaze at the Duomo’s dazzling clock: painted by Paolo Uccello, it tells time from sunset to sunrise! Listen to its uncanny history and then discover the rest of this beautiful church.
At the end of the visit, time to treat yourself to a tasty Italian breakfast: join the locals at the bar of a historical café and enjoy a delicious espresso, cappuccino, and brioche!
After breakfast,crown your tour with a memorable viewing of Brunelleschi’s cupola. Access the Duomo again from a privileged entrance, the Porta Canonici open solely for your party, and climb up to the world’s most famous dome. Once on top, relish the extraordinary cityscape, and appreciate learning about Brunelleschi’s talent, the people he worked with, and how he built the cupola. Meantime, enjoy watching Florence, and Florentines, from high above.
The Awakening guided tour of the Duomo of Florence is much more than a tour of Florence’s landmarks. It is an awe-inspiring experience you will cherish forever.
Departure Location: Tours depart from DUOMO SQUARE meet our tour leader in front of the main entrance of Florence Cathedral
Departs: Monday to Saturday 6.45am
Duration: 2.5 hours
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Awakening the Duomo - Exclusive early entry to the Cathedral & Brunelleschi's Dome
- We regret to inform you that this tour is not suitable for guests with wheelchairs or with impaired mobility.
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops are allowed. No backpacks and big bags are allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements.
- Comfortable shoes are suggested.
- Please note the number of steps to reach the top of each monument: Terraces: 153 Terraces and Brunelleschi's Dome: 153 + 310
- The itinerary inside the Duomo and Brunelleschi Cupola may slightly vary depending on restrictions decided by the museum board. The inclusions and the tour quality will always be preserved.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please be aware that the North Terrace will be affected by maintenance works from about mid-September until the end of October and this may cause some slowing down during the path.
- Cancellation Policy: If you cancel at least 72 hours in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel within 72 hours of the scheduled departure or do not show up for the tour, there is a 100% cancellation fee.