Wakatipu Basin Safari of the Scenes 4WD Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
This thrilling 4WD safari will take you to the heart of the beautiful New Zealand high country which surrounds Queenstown visiting many of the areas used for filming on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.
Our guide to Wakatipu Basin Safari of the Scenes 4WD Tour
This tour gives you the opportunity to get off road and see the varied landscapes that have come to represent the ‘Middle Earth’ of JRR Tolkien’s incredible imagination.
Not only a 4WD safari for Lord of the Rings fans, this tour is for anyone who can appreciate the natural beauty of New Zealand’s rugged and diverse scenery. Much of the area around Queenstown is largely uninhabited, unspoilt and inaccessible by many vehicles, and these are the areas you will be visiting on your tour.
The tour takes you to The Remarkables, which were used as various mountains throughout the trilogy, including the Misty Mountains. By travelling part way up this beautiful mountain range you will get a bird’s eye view onto Deer Park Heights, which was used for the refugees of Rohan and the Battle of the Wargs scenes. Next, head to the Kawarau Gorge where filming took place for the Argonath, or Pillars of the Kings.
Upon leaving the gorge the trip heads to Arrowtown where the loss of The One Ring at Gladden Fields was filmed. Near Arrowtown you will experience some true off road adventure. Following a historic gold mining road up the Arrow River you will cross the river to get to the Ford of Bruinen. At this point you can indulge in morning or afternoon tea and try your hand at a spot of gold panning. From Arrowtown you will travel to the entrance of Skippers Canyon where you will be offered spectacular panoramic views of the Wakatipu Basin and over Skippers Canyon.
Daily, year round. Tour does not operate on Christmas Day
8.15am and 1.30pm.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Wakatipu Basin Safari of the Scenes 4WD Tour
- You will receive a voucher for this experience.
- A minimum of 4 people required on New Zealand public holidays - 2 April; 25 April; 4 June; 23 October; 25-27 December; 1-2 January; 6 February; 20 March; 26 March.
- Dress appropriately for outdoor adventures in the mountains.
- Tours may be subject to river conditions.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.