Catacombs After Hours– Small Group Tour
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
This world-first walking tour takes you into the Catacombs after closing, introducing you to one of Rome’s most important cities of the dead. Discover the chilling Capuchin ‘Bone’ Chapel, decorated with the remains of some 4,000 deceased monks. A wonderful exploration of early Christianity in Rome and Ancient Roman beliefs surrounding death and the afterlife that informs as much as it thrills.
Our guide to Catacombs After Hours– Small Group Tour
As visitors disperse for the evening, a peaceful atmosphere settles over Rome's San Sebastiano Catacombs. It's then - as the doors officially close to the public - that you and your small group will step inside for a VIP visit like no other...
The bodies might be gone, but that doesn’t mean you won’t feel a thrill of excitement as you become one of the first people to descend into the Catacombs after closing since the era of Imperial Rome. And because you’ll be there out-of-hours, you’ll have the passageways to yourself and won’t have any trouble hearing your guide as they divulge the dark stories of the birth of Christianity.
Learn why the Romans chose to take their burials ‘off site’ and discover some of the most intriguing artifacts and decorations that adorn the tombs with the help of a dedicated, expert Catacombs guide.
Following your fascinating VIP visit you’ll have time to reflect on all you’ve learned as you hop on a private, air-conditioned minibus and head to the Capuchin Crypt, better known as the “Bone Chapel”.
Festooned with the remains of some 4,000 deceased monks, the Capuchin Crypt is one of Rome’s most divisive destinations. Not for the faint of heart, the burial site is an eye-opening experience that is only truly understood - and, dare we say, enjoyed - with the help of a knowledgeable guide.
As you take it all in with your small group of 18 people or less, your expert guide will explain the monks’ interesting beliefs on life and death which motivated the creation of such a macabre memorial.
This special, VIP experience of Rome’s most interesting burial sites will no doubt leave a lasting impression - and one you’ll likely meditate on for years to come!
2 hours, 45 minutes.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Catacombs After Hours– Small Group Tour
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- This tour has a maximum capacity of 18 guests.
- Sites on this itinerary include holy places, and attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Walks of Italy cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress. It is sufficient to bring extra coverings with you and put them on before our entrance to the holy areas.
- Unfortunately this tour is not suitable for guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers.
- Photography is not allowed in the sites visited on this tour, due to their religious nature.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours prior to the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.
- Tours depart precisely at the scheduled tour start time. If you show up late or cannot find the meeting point, for any reason, refund requests are not honoured per policy. For most tours, it is not logistically possible to join the group after it has started.