Gladiator’s Gate: Special Access Colosseum Tour with Arena Floor
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Avoid any lines with your expert guide and enter the Colosseum through the side gate once used by warriors entering the ring. Enjoy special access to the arena floor, learn about the blood-drenched stories of horror and heroism that took place right where you’re standing and afterwards head out for a comprehensive tour of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill that will bring Ancient Rome to life.
Our guide to Gladiator’s Gate: Special Access Colosseum Tour with Arena Floor
Most people see the Colosseum as spectators, gazing down at the arena floor from the stands. On this special access Colosseum tour, you'll enter the great arena as the combatants once did, through the Gladiator's Gate.
Once inside, you'll head straight to the reconstructed arena floor, where you'll get a 360-degree view of history's greatest sports stadium. This area is closed to the public, offering a fantastic respite from the crowds on busy summer days.
Take some space to soak it all in as your guide regales you with stories of blood sports and death sentences, once played out right where you are standing.
N.B., Because of the very special access on this tour you are REQUIRED to bring an ID with you. Please don't forget, as this can hold up the tour and may result in you having to miss parts.
From there you'll enjoy a luxury that ancient gladiators didn't have. You'll go up into the stands to learn the full story of this colossal structure, from how it was built to how it declined and was eventually used for all sorts of strange things (cattle farming, anyone?).
To understand the empire that created this amazing stage for organized violence, you'll also explore the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill with skip-the-line access.
At the Roman Forum, your guide will show you the palaces, government buildings, temples, and monuments that made up the heart of Ancient Rome. Further uphill, the Palatine Hill was the birthplace of Rome and is the perfect place to discover its origins.
With your guide's stories, facts, and insights for context, you'll be immersed in the history and lore of ancient Rome and get a vivid picture of one of the greatest civilizations ever known.
Varies, please see calendar.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Gladiator’s Gate: Special Access Colosseum Tour with Arena Floor
- Precise itinerary subject to change.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Because of the very special access on this tour, you are REQUIRED to bring an ID with you. Please don't forget, as this can hold up the tour and may result in you having to miss parts.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- Please note: There is a new rule at the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill that only small backpacks and regular-size handbags are allowed inside. Guests with larger bags will not be allowed to enter (there are no storage facilities) and all guests must now pass through a security check before entering the Colosseum.
- The Colosseum is subject to occasional closures. The Colosseum administration is usually aware of this and informs us the day before or of a given closure. Please provide us with detailed contact information in the event that we need to reach you to reschedule your tour.
- This tour ends near the Colosseum/Roman Forum.
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off is NOT included. Please meet your guide outside of Oppio Caffè located on Via delle Terme di Tito, 72 (near the Colosseum).
- Groups accessing the Colosseum through the Varco Stern access (direct access to the Arena floor) are subject to spot checks of ID (no copies accepted). Due to security reasons, the Colosseum requires a form of official identification that has a picture (i.e. ID, Passport, driving license etc). Please ensure all members of your party have a valid I.D on them on the day of the visit.
- Please note, this tour is not suitable for guests with mobility impairments, or for wheelchairs or strollers. We advise you to contact us at time of booking to make further arrangements.
- You may need to wear a mask or provide proof of vaccination to enter certain venues. Please refer to Italy government guidelines for the most up to date information.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours prior to the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.
- Tours depart precisely at the scheduled tour start time. If you show up late or cannot find the meeting point, for any reason, refund requests are not honoured per policy. For most tours, it is not logistically possible to join the group after it has started.