San Diego Zoo
4.8 stars: Based on 5 reviews via
Get ready for the ultimate Hollywood movie experience
Visit over 4,000 rare and endangered animals and over 650 unique species and subspecies from all over the world at one of San Diego’s most popular attractions, the San Diego Zoo – 100 acres of animal-themed exhibits and habitats right in Balboa Park.
Our guide to San Diego Zoo
Animals you’ll see: The zoo is home to thousands of animals, including giraffes, koalas, giant panda bears, polar bears, elephants, gorillas, rhinoceros, Galápagos tortoises, anacondas, Tasmanian devils, crocodiles, and lots more. The zoo features a massive aviary, right in the middle of the park, so you can walk among free-flying birds from California and way beyond.
Your San Diego Zoo ticket includes:
- Guided Bus Tour Kangaroo Express Bus
- A ride on the Skyfari® aerial tram
- All general admission exhibits and shows
Insider tip: start your visit to the Zoo with a ride on the Guided Bus Tour for an overview of the zoo’s layout and top exhibits, then use the Kangaroo Express Bus to get around to different areas in the park you want to visit and be sure to plan your day around any animal shows or keeper talks you want to see.
Fun fact: the San Diego Zoo qualifies as an official botanic garden; be sure to take note of its collection of over 700,000 exotic plants.
Exhibit highlights at the San Diego Zoo:
- Africa Rocks: the zoo’s newest exhibit, Africa Rocks consists of 6 new habitats dedicated to African plant and animal life, like African penguins, baboon, lemurs, and more.
- Panda Canyon: head here to see the zoo’s most famous residents, the giant panda bears, and learn about their habitats and behaviors from the always-present zoo keeper.
- Guided Bus Tour: the best way to get a full overview of the zoo and see lots of animals in a short amount of time.
- Northern Frontier: see animals from the Norther Frontier like caribou, snow white fox, and the playful polar bears from a platform that provides views of the polar bears both above and below the surface of the water.
- Elephant Odyssey: learn how the zoo cares for their massive residents and watch them roam in their large landscapes close to other California-native animals, like large birds, lions, meerkats, and more.
- Lost Forest: see animals like tigers, monkeys, gorillas, and more, including the zoo’s famous resident hippos, and take a stroll through the Scripps Aviary and Owens Aviary where you’ll be surrounded by tropical birds soaring overhead and singing.
- Discovery Outpost: this fenced-in exhibit lets kids and adults pet some of the animals like wooly sheep and friendly pygmy goats.
You’ll find much to see and do here, and there are acres of rolling, scenic exhibit areas to explore. A trip to San Diego would not be complete without a visit to this world-famous zoo, so get ready for a walk on the wild side! You’ll see the beauty of the Animal Kingdom in the San Diego Zoo’s many naturalistic habitats, and you’ll meet friendly staff who is dedicated to the animals’ care and well-being. Don’t miss this San Diego classic!
Our guide to San Diego Zoo
Guided Bus Tour - San Diego Zoo
Enjoy a 35-minute narrated tour on a double-decked bus covering much of the Zoo. The Guided Bus Tour presented by Go San Diego® Card is included with all admission tickets and donor level memberships. Annual Pass Members pay $13 per adult and $10 per child, ages 3 through 11, for a day of unlimited rides on the Guided Bus Tour and Kangaroo Bus.
SKYFARI AERIAL TRAM - San Diego Zoo
Take an airborne shortcut over the treetops to the other end of the Zoo and enjoy spectacular views of the Zoo, its animal and plant collection, and surrounding Balboa Park. Jogging, oversized, and double strollers cannot be accommodated; children younger than 8 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
Animal Encounters - San Diego Zoo
10:30 a.m. daily at Front Street Stage - Take 10 minutes out of your day to see one of our amazing animal ambassadors.
Shows - San Diego Zoo
Meet our world-famous animal ambassadors and their trainers, and find out why we're Wild About Animals! It's a Zoo tradition, daily at the historic Wegeforth Bowl.
Balboa Park Miniature Train - San Diego Zoo
The Miniature Train is operated by the San Diego Zoo. The train pulls out of the station for three-minute rides. The train station is located outside the Zoo’s exit. Obtain a hand stamp at the Zoo's exit for same day re-entry. Train tickets are $3 for ages 1 and older; children younger than age 1 are free. Ages 5 and younger must ride with a paying adult.
Kangaroo Bus - San Diego Zoo
There is so much to see at the Zoo! The Kangaroo Bus lets you hop on and off at four different stops throughout the Zoo. Just wait at one of the stops for a bus with a yellow Kangaroo Bus banner to arrive, about every 15 minutes. All admission tickets, donor level memberships, and purchased Guided Bus Tour tickets include the Kangaroo Bus.
Average 4.8 out of 5 (5 customer reviews)
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for San Diego Zoo
- You will be sent a gate ready San Diego Zoo e-ticket not a voucher, ensuring minimum fuss on arrival.
- Free cancellations for bookings cancelled with the supplier before your holiday departure date. No refunds are given after this time.