Royal Monastery of El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 1800 927 467
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
A unique and unforgettable day!
The Renaissance-style El Escorial Monastery was long considered the Eighth Wonder of the World and is an impressive symbol of Spanish power in the 16th Century. Enjoy a visit to this amazing site before heading to the Valley of the Fallen monument, erected in memory of the millions who died in the Spanish Civil War.
Our guide to Royal Monastery of El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen
El Escorial is a spectacular World Heritage site built by Phillip II to commemorate the Battle of San Quintin and also acts as a mausoleum for Charles V. This immense palace, monastery, museum and library dominates the landscape and is a symbol of Spanish power in the sixteenth century.
The balance and symmetry of the architecture is true to the humanist Renaissance style and the interior is adorned with paintings and frescoes. Accompanied by your experienced guide, you will explore the Habsburg Palace, the Kings and Princes Mausoleum, the Chapter House and the Basilica.
The tour continues from El Escorial to the Valley of the fallen where you will admire the vast basilica built into the side of a mountain and topped by a gigantic granite cross that towers 150 meters (500 feet) high! The monument was built by the Spanish dictator General Franco to commemorate the dead from Spain's Civil War.
Take a guided tour inside the austerely modern basilica, with its vaulted crypt and sculpted angels, then look out from the surrounding esplanade of arches to admire the spectacular valley countryside surrounding the complex.
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Around 5 hours.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Royal Monastery of El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen
- Children aged 5 years and under are free of charge, provided they do not occupy a seat.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Please be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour begins.
- Royal Monastery of El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen Basilic visitors are kindly requested to respect the instructions of the Security: Photography and filming are not permitted inside the exhibitions.
- Cancellation Policy: Free cancellations for bookings cancelled prior to your holiday departure date. No refunds are given for cancellations made post departure.
Frequently Asked Questions for Royal Monastery of El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen
- Does this tour include hotel transfers?
No, unfortuanatly hotel transfers are not included. Please meet at San Nicolás Street nº 15 (next to Plaza de Ramalas).