Borghese Gallery Tour with Bernini Caravaggio & Raphael
This ticket is currently not available
This could be because:
- We have sold out
- New seasonal tickets are not yet available
In the meantime:
- Call us on 0800 223 0324
- Sign up to hear the latest news and offers:
Sign up for our newsletter
Enjoy seeing one of the finest private collections of art in the world!
When it comes to art museums, the Villa Borghese is in a league of its own. If you want to avoid the crowds and see great art in its original setting - the way it was meant to be seen - this Borghese Gallery tour is the perfect experience for you. In two hours you will wander the villa’s 20 rooms and marvel at peerless masterpieces in each one.
Our guide to Borghese Gallery Tour with Bernini Caravaggio & Raphael
Imagine a palace that was specifically built to house amazing works of art. Its twenty rooms are treasure troves of visual splendor: every wall holds a masterpiece, every pedestal supports exquisitely carved marble, and even the ceilings sing with divine frescoes. Well, you don’t have to imagine it because this is a description of the Galleria Borghese, Rome’s most exclusive and intimate art museum.
Built in the 17th century by Cardinal Scipione Borghese specifically to house his magnificent art collection, it was once only open to royals and visiting dignitaries. Today, it lets in groups at two-hour intervals (with pre-reserved tickets) to ensure that its 20 rooms of masterpieces are never overcrowded.
Once inside, your expert, English-speaking guide will lead you on a highlight tour of the collection, showing you well-known works like Bernini’s Apollo and Daphne, Rape of Proserpina, and David; Caravaggio’s St. John the Baptist; and Canova’s Pauline Bonaparte; along with lesser-known gems like Raphael’s Lady with a Unicorn; and Bassano’s The Last Supper.
Along the way you will be able to indulge in one of the rarest aesthetic pleasures: Seeing great art in the setting that it was meant to be seen in. Before public art museums this was how the luckiest people in Europe viewed paintings and sculptures and it’s frankly fantastic.
What they often didn’t have was an expert, English-speaking guide to help interpret and give context to the art. Yours brings an incredible passion to the proceedings and will inform you of all the backstories that lend each work depth and nuance. From the quirks of Cardinal Borghese to the heartbreaking story of the commissioning of Raphael’s The Deposition, this is a journey through art like none you have taken before.
Varies, please see calendar.
Around 2.5 hours.
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for Borghese Gallery Tour with Bernini Caravaggio & Raphael
- You will receive a voucher for this experience. Please read it thoroughly.
- Itinerary subject to change without notice.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off is NOT included. Please meet your guide inside Termini train station, just outside the entrance to Caffe Moka, located next to train track number 24.
- The Borghese museum does not allow any bags or purses into the galleries. All such items must be checked before entering the museum, which your guide will help you with upon arrival.
- This tour is wheelchair accessible with some difficulties (the second floor of the Borghese Gallery is not wheelchair accessible). We advise you to contact us at time of booking to make further arrangements.
- Cancellation Policy: A full refund will be given on cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement. Cancellations received within 72 hours prior to the tour are non-refundable. We will, however, do our best to reschedule you for another tour. Please note, this is subject to availability and price changes.
- Tours depart precisely at the scheduled tour start time. If you show up late or cannot find the meeting point, for any reason, refund requests are not honoured per policy. For most tours, it is not logistically possible to join the group after it has started.
Frequently Asked Questions for Borghese Gallery Tour with Bernini Caravaggio & Raphael
Can I bring my bag/camera?
Yes. All bags will be checked by security before entering the galleries but you CAN bring your camera inside. Please note flash photography is not permitted.